The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:49 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:30 pm 

LaT, that is cold.

Have you got a walled garden?

I'd love a garden but a walled garden is the dream!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:35 am 

No, not a walled garden like a Victorian walled garden. One of the boundaries is a dry stone wall about 4.5ft high, the rest is trees and hedges.

It seems everywhere in the UK the season is about 3 or 4 weeks behind that which would be normally expected, a really cold and dry April and cold May.

I did dig out a 2ft x 100ft border down a partial length of one of the walls. I've got plastic down on it at the moment killing off all the plant life. In September I'll take it up, prep the ground and sow my wild meadow border. Hopefully that's start flowering in Spring next year.

I'm kicking myself, around here was covered in wild garlic up until about 2 weeks ago. I kept meaning to go and pick a load and freeze it, but I didn't get around to it. The leaves really do taste like garlic, I kept nibbling on them when I was out on my walks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:04 am 

LaT -- We have the craziest crop of poppies, frizzle ones and straight and bouffant, pink, red, purple. Also had an amazing variety of aquilegias this year. Everything is self-seeded and cross-pollinated. And a lot of white love-in-the-mist. I'd be happy to post you a bunch of seeds if you have an area you'd like to scatter them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:11 pm 

Thanks JR, I'll PM with my address....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:16 am 

LaT and Jessica, that sounds wonderful.

It's time to decide....the balcony pots are still not growing anything. i could cut my losses or I could spend more and get plants that are ready to put out there.

I want a wormery but hanging around parks trying to find worms is going to be weird...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:10 pm 

^^Are you looking to start a worm composter? They’re fun, I used to have one I kept under my desk at work to compost teabags and apple cores and so on. You can buy red wiggler worms for composting online.

Garden here is coming along OK. I did lose a few plants to critters - not sure if it was the foxes or raccoons, but I set up my motion-activated sprinkler and that seems to have helped. Tomatoes are growing (no flowers yet), squash are blooming (only male flowers so far), and herbs are coming along nicely. I started things a bit late so they’re a bit behind, but hopefully they’ll start to catch up. I went out and fertilized everything today in anticipation of a rainy week, hopefully that’ll give them a bit of a kick to get going.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:15 am 

@Herbaceous

Yes
I don't really want to get worms delivered though! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:11 pm 

^^ Yeah, worm home delivery, I am not sure about that either! :o I saw a place that does that here too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:18 am 

I finally reached fully vaccinated status (both shots + the 2 week wait), so I went up to the cottage this weekend to see my parents (who are also fully vaccinated). We visited a garden place while we were there - basically just this lady who has extensive gardens herself and sells a lot of plants she's divided and so on. I want to get my front yard looking a little nicer - right now it's a little overgrown.

I dug out a bunch of the ditch daylily that I had out there, and discovered some sort of shrub back there and some sweet woodruff that I'd forgotten I had. There's a big empty spot where I removed the lilies, so I planted a couple perennial sunflowers that my friend gave me, and then at the garden place this weekend I bought some cardinal flower, astilbe, and a flower that I can't recall the name of but apparently attracts a lot of butterflies. My parents also gave me a spare rose of sharon that they had, so I'll plant those out at some point this weekend when it's not raining.