The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:29 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:56 pm 

Well, the shop in town that normally has bulbs informed me that they don't have any stock right now. Since May is supposedly the best time to plant them here, I did an online order that is scheduled to arrive next week. They had some convenient mixed packs.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:02 pm 

This upcoming weekend is typically the last frost here, so it’s when everyone plants out their frost-tender plants. I had planned to do the same, especially since I have a 4-day weekend coming up, but it’s looking like my tomatoes won’t be ready yet - they’re still looking too small, I don’t think they’re even ready to harden off.

Last year I didn’t get them planted until June, but I was kinda hoping to use the long weekend to plant everything out. I suppose at least I can get the garden beds ready.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:35 pm 

My milkweed seems a bit late this year. I really thought it wasn't coming back at all, but it's starting to send up shoots. I also have three pokeweeds coming up.

I have a bumper crop of chipmunk babies this year. Right now they're chasing each other around the yard, and digging around the plants that are coming up.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
This upcoming weekend is typically the last frost here,
In mid-May? That's a no from me, dawg. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:25 pm 

^^Hah, I actually like that it's a bit of a shorter gardening season here - I usually start to lose interest in gardening around mid-October every year, so that times up perfectly with when it's time to tidy up the garden and put everything to bed for the winter anyway.

Our last frost is usually around May 24, and our first frost is around mid-October. So the gardening season goes from the May long weekend, to Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:14 pm 

Yuck. Part of the front lawn has been covered with stones and mulch, but the rest is still dirt. A cat has decided that the dirt makes a great litter box. I don't know if anyone has a tip to keep the cat away. I see that there are repellent sprays, but I've heard they are not too effective.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:02 pm 

^^I had a bit of an issue with cats using one section of my garden as a litter box - try scattering citrus peels over the area. I did this and it was surprisingly effective.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:14 am 

^^ Thanks for the tip. I guess I will have to buy some lemons to make a pisco sour :lol: ! Then I can put out the peels.

Hopefully once I have the whole area covered with rocks and mulch, the cat will pick somewhere else to go. It only seems to like the dirt.

I was out working on the front yard yesterday and a neighbor was just getting home. He commented that it was coming around really well. I thought that was nice of him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:00 pm 

https://compostina.cl/

I just got this composter delivered today. I will have to report back on how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:56 pm 

I put some lemon peels in that area a few days ago. So far, no cat poop, which is a good sign. I plan to lay down more stones this weekend to hopefully limit the area that is attractive to the cat.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next