The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:30 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:36 am 

I am getting the yard ready for spring. Pulling a lot of weeds that showed up when it rained and I just planted germinated some herb seeds - cilantro and basil. Last year I planted the seeds without germinating but nothing came up. I hope this method works better. I now have some more seeds germinating - cayenne pepper, chives, red pepper and sweet William flowers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:24 pm 

I now have 6 cherry tomatoes forming on one plant and my cayenne, red chili and green chilis are flowering, so that is good news.

I gave up on the grass out in front of the house. It's amazing. We only moved about 40 km from where we used to live, but the sun is SO strong out here, it dried up. I saw several neighbors doing xeriscapes (landscaping for arid areas) in their front yards, so we are now pulling up all the grass. My order of quartz, agate stones and decorative mulch arrived this week, so this weekend we will finish pulling up the grass and start laying down the stone and mulch. I plan to plant a few succulents that are able to handle strong sun too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Trying to keep plants alive in the heat of summer can definitely be a challenge. Xeriscaping will help a lot - at least you won't be out there with the hose every night.

I'm looking at building some ladder planters to put on my front patio this summer. My condo might be tiny, but the patio is half the size of the house so that helps. I had some plants in pots out there last summer, and some planters on the railing. This summer I want to buy a BBQ and a patio table, put a bunch more plants out there, and really make it a nice spot. A ladder planter looks like a good way to stack a lot of plants in a small area, and maybe I can grow some tomatoes and lettuces too (I miss little cherry tomatoes).

So off to YouTube I go. I might have to wait a few weeks before I can bust out the power tools though, it's snowing right now, and it's not usually possible to plant outside until May.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:47 pm 

Yeah, I think it will definitely be more low maintenance and we'll save on the water bill too. We haven't gotten around to putting down the stones and mulch. We had a freak rainstorm last weekend, so we couldn't do it then, and now a few weeds are popping up, so we are back to pulling those out first. Hopefully next weekend we can get started.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:18 pm 

Oh, and The Alicorn, that patio area and your plans for it sound great. I was really lucky that the last time I lived in an apartment, I had a large balcony. Those things make such a difference. My sister lives in an area of the US that has had several Covid stay-at-home orders. It's an expensive city, but she was able to buy a condo through a below market rate program for first-time homebuyers. She said she was so lucky she is living at the new place and not at the apartment she was renting before, which didn't even have a tiny terrace or anything. Her new place has a decent sized patio area where she can have plants and a table and chairs to sit outside.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:13 am 

It snuck up on me again this year, but the weather is getting warmer which means that gardening season is coming up!

Normally I go to a Seedy Saturday event every year to buy all the seeds I need, but of course this year that event was cancelled again. Last year I just made do with the seeds I had lying around (which was a startling number), but this year I wanted a few things I'd run out of, so last night I ordered some seeds online. I got cucumbers, zucchini, squash, pumpkin, dill, and one new tomato variety because I think that, as a vegetable gardener, I am bound by law to accumulate as many varieties of tomato seeds as humanly possible.

Last year my backyard groundhog, Norm, ate all of my tomatoes and got really fat before winter. This time, we bought a motion-activated sprinkler that I'm hoping will keep both Norm and the bunny rabbits away. I really like having wildlife in my backyard, but losing all those gorgeous tomatoes was heartbreaking!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:12 am 

^^^ My gardening efforts revolve around herbs and flowers. I'm hoping I can talk MrsCO into substantially increasing our flower budget from a lot to a whole lot. :)

Also, I'm working to make the back deck more inviting. Instead of just tossing out the patio furniture and having four planters (one at each corner of the deck), I just bought a decorative carpet to put down, and I'm putting some thought into how to arrange things to make it all more appealing, as well as putting out tablecloths when we eat out there, that sort of thing. More flowers, for a start.

Weird, since I hate being outside. Maybe it's a result of being inside so much this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:50 pm 

I planted my tomato seeds a few weeks ago, luckily they've mostly germinated! I was worried when they hadn't germinated in the first week after I planted them. I planted peppers at the same time, but they always take forever to come up - no signs of life from them yet.

I'll be starting cucumbers and squash a bit later. Outdoors, my chives have already come up and I also had a surprise - some of my onions overwintered! Last year I planted onion sets, and ate them mostly as green onions. I pulled them up to store at the end of the season, but I must have missed some as I've currently got some green onions in that spot in the garden. I'll probably end up eating them mostly green again (I'm unlucky in that I have very heavy, clayey soil that isn't good for growing root vegetables).

Norm the groundhog has emerged from hibernation and does a lot of rambling about the yard - although lately he's been doing some behaviours that look like nesting to me (collecting leaves etc.) which make me think he may actually be Norma and we might get babies this year.

Yesterday was nice so I was sitting on the deck - a bunny rabbit came under the fence, hopped across the yard, and sat right next to me! Literally maybe 2 feet away, it was so cute!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:56 am 

^^^ My chives are going nuts. The oregano made it (and is spreading) as is the mint (which has become unwanted), the sage is looking good, so is the thyme...the one thing I was sure would make it was the rosemary, and it's dead as a stump. Go figure.

I bought some rosemary, basil, and dill this weekend. I'll probably get those planted this evening.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 am 

One thing I didn't appreciate, when moving house, was how much further north I was going to be and the impact that was going to have on my planting.

I would have usually had all my baskets, troughs etc planted up within the next two weeks (if not already), but looking at the info from the nurseries around here they're saying 'no summer planting until early May'...I can see why, we're still getting overnight frosts and the odd snow flurry.

I have just created a narrow border of wild meadow flowers down one side of the lawn (up against a dry stone wall): foxgloves, cornflower, poppy and ox eye daisies. I've done the same in a couple of half barrels at the entrance to the drive (splayed affair created from more dry stone walling). I'm hoping the walls will give the plants a bit of shelter and some added warmth.

If the border works I'll widen it next year and stagger the seeding so I get flowering for longer.

Once the weather warms up and going to go a foraging, my neighbour owns three meadows on the opposite side of the road and was telling me one is full of wild garlic and there are also sloes and blackberries (and to help myself to what ever plants or fruits I come across) . Once I've checked out what I can forage locally, then I'll create a 'fruit corner' (yep, I'm going to do some 'Mullering'), planting some dwarf fruit trees and fruit bushes.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next