The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:28 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14
 Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:57 am 

^^^ My favorite is, after someone does that, 20 other people reply-all telling them to stop doing that! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:01 am 

This isn’t exactly a rant, but it’s work related, so I figured I’d put it here.

Know how I left my old job and found something better? I’m with the same employer but a different department and different location. When I did that, I joked a few times, “Oh, now that I’m gone, I’m sure [old department] will descend into chaos!” And right after I left - shit hit the fan.

First, the chief operating officer resigned to take on another opportunity elsewhere. No biggie, it’s going to be a pain in the ass finding a new person, but meh.

Then the executive director of my old department abruptly quit. As in, she put in her notice and was gone less than a week later. Nobody seems to know why, but something must have happened.

Then a couple weeks later, one of the directors was sacked - again, nobody seems to know why, but he had a meeting with the higher-ups and was leaving the the office with his personal effects a few hours later.

So my old employer is currently missing a whole bunch of high-level operating staff, while everyone tries to come back from a pandemic. Apparently it’s pretty chaotic and confusing, so it looks like I picked a good time to leave.

I do feel bad for some of the friends I have who are still working there - but the schadenfreude is so, so delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:41 pm 

It’s funny how having worked somewhere for so long causes you to become so engrained.

The lady who got the job I applied for keeps messaging me to ask me questions. They still haven’t filled my old position, so I guess she’s the only one trying to do everything. I don’t mind, we’re all on Team Sustainability after all, and of course I want to see some of the programs that I started continue to succeed.

But it’s so funny. She messages me to ask about whether there’s a budget, where stuff is stored, where some things are on campus (she only worked onsite for 3 weeks before the pandemic hit). Of course I answer, but I keep wondering to myself - what the hell would have happened if I’d left on bad terms, or if I’d gotten squished by a bus instead of just leaving? Of course nobody is truly irreplaceable, but they’d be scrambling.

Wonder if they’re now realizing how much more I was doing than they were giving me credit for. Like Joni Mitchell said, sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Like Joni Mitchell said, sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.
Cinderella (the band) also said that. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:25 am 

^^^ Or, as phrased a bit differently by William Bell, "You don't miss your water 'til the well runs dry." :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14