The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:38 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1644 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1157 158 159 160 161165 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:56 pm 

^^^ Yeah, but it's pretty easy to get here nowadays. I can get it at any larger grocery store (Kroger Marketplace, Meijer, etc).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad_cream

It's sort of like Miracle Whip and a bit of mustard mixed together. That's the best way I can describe it. When I say Miracle Whip, I just mean that it has this sort of spice taste, maybe garlic powder or powdered onion, that regular mayonnaise doesn't have. Rest assured, it doesn't taste like Miracle Whip.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:21 am 

I know you can't argue about questions of taste, but...high-fructose corn syrup is just so wrong.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mi ... #nutrition

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I know you can't argue about questions of taste, but...high-fructose corn syrup is just so wrong.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mi ... #nutrition
It really is. But we don't have a lot of places to grow sugar cane in the USA (pretty much just Hawaii and parts of Florida and Louisiana). On the other hand we have corn up to our ears (pun intended). So in the late 1970s the US government instituted tariffs on sugar. Shortly thereafter, high fructose corn syrup was in everything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 pm 

^^Corn farming is also very, very heavily subsidized in the US.

We’re trying to eat all of the meat out of our freezer so we can defrost it before we get another split side delivered in a few weeks. So tonight I made beef barbacoa, which we used to make burrito bowls with rice, cheese, homemade corn salsa and homemade guacamole.

I think this is one of the things I’m really going to miss about working from home - having that extra time back in my day to make a nice dinner on a weeknight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:50 am 

^ Even though I've been retired 10 years I still batch cook like I used to when I was working. Trouble is I now also cook my main meal from scratch every day, so the freezer is always full of soups, stews, chili, curries and portions of rice that end up staying there for months!

Even though I've been living off salads for the past 6 weeks (up until this week the weather has been stinking hot in the UK, we've even had a couple of 'tropical' nights where the overnight temperature didn't drop below 20C) I still couldn't help myself and made a vat of lamb casserole earlier in the week, that's now all portioned up and taking up space in the freezer. I guess some habits are hard to break.

A question for the pizza makers, do you ever freeze them?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:16 am 

Quote:
A question for the pizza makers, do you ever freeze them?
Not an entire assembled pizza, no. I do freeze dough. I always have dough balls in the freezer. Sauce (using canned crushed tomatoes) takes less than an hour if I'm using a cooked sauce, less than five minutes if it's a raw sauce, so I rarely freeze that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:41 am 

Went unintentionally vegan last night, made a one-pan meal of leeks and chickpeas, sautéed in rosemary oil, with a lot of garlic and finished with some lemon juice and a bit of zest.

I thought it was going to be ho-hum, but it was fantastic, a real flavor bomb, especially with the rosemary in there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:39 pm 

It’s hot as balls out here today, so I made a simple-but-refreshing pasta salad for dinner. Just pasta, peas, and a can of tuna, with a homemade creamy dressing with dill I grew in the garden. Really hit the spot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:49 pm 

My parents, brother, and sister-in-law all came over for dinner tonight, so husband did a pork butt on his rotisserie - he used a pre-made spice mix, and cooked it low and slow for several hours.

To go with, I made potato salad and watermelon salad (watermelon with feta, black olives and mint, dressing was just lime juice). For dessert, we had spice cake, and husband rotisserie’d a pineapple with some cinnamon and brown sugar.

It all came out really good, a nice summery meal to eat outside on the deck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:11 am 

Garlic-butter brats (from a farm just a few miles from the house) both last night and the night before.

Saturday, we drove over an hour to an Amish bakery that makes our favorite doughnuts. We bought a dozen to freeze, and one to split in the car (they're huge; their twists and long johns are eight inches long).

There are a couple of other places we like to stop when we make that drive; a farmers market and a cheese place (which really is just a small grocery store with a very good deli), and I always go crazy at both places, buying everything from jams and mustards to lunchmeat and licorice.

The freezer is full now. :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1644 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1157 158 159 160 161165 Next