The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:37 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1572 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1153 154 155 156 157 158 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:16 pm 

Last night’s pizza:

Attachments:
1A513F2A-5DEE-4BD0-93FE-CEC96A01BCF5.jpeg
1A513F2A-5DEE-4BD0-93FE-CEC96A01BCF5.jpeg [ 235.02 KiB | Viewed 253 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:40 am 

^^^ Looks great!

Night before last, I took the bread stuffing bits leftover from breakfast, pattied those and pan-fried them, then used that as a bed for a grilled cube steak. I found a single leek hiding in the fridge, so that and a big fat potato, some cream, some cheese, and some seasoning made a nice potato-leek gratin for two, and we had a very nice supper, made mostly of leftovers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:58 am 

Made some herbed crepes (fresh dill), put down a layer of gruyere, then some diced ham, got that all melty and then topped with a sunny-side-up egg.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:57 pm 

I decided to try another weird vegan substitute tonight - I made shawarma out of celery root. Husband and I both really like celery root, so I figured why the hell not?

After peeling and slicing 3 celery roots (and I didn’t cut myself in the mandoline, yay!), i made a shawarma spice blend, coated the slices in red wine vinegar and oil, then added the spice mix and tossed it all around. I then impaled all the slices on the rotisserie spit, wrapped the whole thing in foil, and rotisseried it for an hour. I made a glaze with more of the spice mix, oil, red wine vinegar and brown sugar, pulled the foil off, and glazed it a couple times letting it rotisserie more between each glazing. Then I turned up the temp to let it caramelize a bit.

I served it in pitas with hummus, parsley salad, pickles, and some tzatziki.

It came out really, really yummy! We were both pleasantly surprised. It absolutely did not fool me into thinking it was meat, but it was delicious just the same.

Attachments:
2CFEAC90-5EEA-40B4-9CC4-5772BB25BA67.jpeg
2CFEAC90-5EEA-40B4-9CC4-5772BB25BA67.jpeg [ 160.61 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:53 pm 

Had a few things to use up today, so I literally just googled the ingredients I had and came up with a recipe that I used.

Mixed together a dijon mustard-garlic based marinade, then added a couple chicken breasts and let those marinate for about 20 min. While those were marinating, I chopped up some potatoes, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled on some sesame seeds, then into the oven. Once they were partially done, I pulled them out, then added the chicken to the pan along with some asparagus and back into the oven until the chicken was done.

While the chicken was cooking, I made a little sauce in the blender with some feta cheese, sour cream, garlic, and lemon juice.

It was really really good, husband especially loved it. He sat down, tried a potato, and told me “whatever you did to these potatoes, remember it and do it again next time! These are great!”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:10 am 

We had our first guests (my brother and his wife) since well before the pandemic (and I'm sure they were our last guests way back then), and during the pandemic, he was diagnosed with fatty liver disease, so we did a healthier menu.

Homemade black bean dip to start, with multigrain tortilla chips, grilled chicken fajitas, homemade pico de gallo on the side, street corn salad (made with light mayo and Greek yogurt), and watermelon for dessert.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:01 pm 

Yesterday I made a big batch of vegan pasta salad for lunches for the next few days. For dinner, I made an almost-vegan dinner - shawarma spiced chickpeas with parsley salad, cucumber, tomato, olives, and a big dollop of tzatziki.

Being home all the time has seemed to make it much easier for me to make more of my meals vegan. Right now I’d say both my breakfast and lunch are vegan roughly 90% of the time, plus I make a vegan dinner usually at least once a week. Hopefully I can keep this up when I go back to the office.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:11 am 

I made a dish of comfort food yesterday, good, old-fashioned traditional lasagna with meat sauce.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 pm 

^^Lasagna is one of my very favourite meals.

Tonight I made beef Barbacoa. It’s Canada Day, and although I don’t feel much like celebrating given what’s happening in my country right now, I still wanted to make a nice meal.

Not sure why, but it came out abnormally good tonight. I made all the usual fixings to go with - rice, corn salsa, old cheddar, and guacamole. The grocery store didn’t have any cilantro, but even without it, everything was absolutely delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:51 am 

Sweet potato pancakes for breakfast yesterday. Eggs and such this morning.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1572 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1153 154 155 156 157 158 Next