The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:30 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 731 Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Baking?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:51 am 

I made another loaf of sourdough bread. It turned out surprisingly good, especially considering how much I messed around with the recipe. (didn't feed the starter twice before making the dough like I usually do, fed it once then let it sit for like 18 hours since I went to bed with a headache). I also messed about with the rise time because I overslept the next morning - the recipe says to let it rise for 4-24 hours, I only let it rise for 3. When I baked it, the top rose a little unevenly, but it still tasted quite nice! I was worried it would come out too dense, but it didn't seem to.

I love recipes that are so forgiving like that. It seems sourdough may be one of those things. Of course, when I know something's forgiving like that, I tend to push my luck, and end up realizing just how much I can mess with the recipe before it all goes to hell... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:22 pm 

I made a cake with some of the left over peach wine I racked yesterday. I'll admit I used a cake mix instead of putting it together myself. I added more of the wine to the frosting as well. It's more of a subtle flavor as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:07 pm 

Looks a little washed out on here, but this about a perfect loaf of whole wheat bread. Easy recipe, too. I went from getting out the food processor to having dough on the rise in 13 minutes.
Attachment:
E1F2C9E3-A1AE-4D2C-A1F6-E058A6796DBF.jpeg
E1F2C9E3-A1AE-4D2C-A1F6-E058A6796DBF.jpeg [ 174.11 KiB | Viewed 2972 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:34 pm 

Baked camembert with warm crusty bread (to die for!). Have only just discovered that this is a thing - I must have been living under a rock all my life :o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:50 am 

^^^ Try that with roasted garlic as well. Weekend favorite at our house!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:16 am 

The girls have stopped laying, so cakes for a while. But it's apple season! Everyone here has more Bramleys than they know what to do with, so lots going free: people just put boxes of fallers outside and hope someone takes them. And we have a Braeburn tree, very productive this year. Anything with a blemish or a worm hole gets used for baking.

Today was apple pie, and my crust was utterly perfect. I do the main mix in the food processor, but I add then I tip it into a bowl and mix in the water by hand, I find it makes a much lighter pastry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Anything with a blemish or a worm hole gets used for baking.
But why? You could use that wormhole to explore the universe. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:39 pm 

Sopapilla brownies (bars, maybe?). I have to make them for a thing at work, and this is the test run. They came out well, according to my husband and neighbours. They have cinnamon, so I can't have them as I must be allergic to it. It makes the roof of my mouth itch, so I avoid it. They used the crescent roll dough as the bottom and top of the bar. I don't like using pre-made stuff, and I really don't like using pre-made stuff that opens like a stick of dynamite going off, but the recipe called for it, so I used it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:37 pm 

Soft pretzels

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:13 pm 

The bars turned out alright, I suppose. My husband said they are good, but since I don't eat cinnamon I will have to take his word for it.

I *really* hate those cans of crescent rolls. They're like a damn jack-in-the-box when you're pulling off the paper, waiting for them to blow up.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 731 Next