The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:33 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 531 Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Baking?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:24 pm 

One of my favorite cakes, a French rum apple cake.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:59 pm 

I made a loaf of white sandwich bread today. Deviated quite a bit from the recipe, and it wasn't my best work, but it's acceptable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:09 pm 

I figured that since I have this sourdough starter, I should probably do something with it. Wasn’t sure if it survived me being away on vacation, so I pulled some out of the fridge, fed it last night, and then fed it again this morning. It is definitely not dead. It puffed up so much I had to transfer it to a larger bowl!

So I just tried the recipe that came with the starter that my friend gave to me. Starter, flour, water, and salt. That’s it. I’m going to let it rise overnight, then pop it in the oven in the morning and see how it comes out. I had to knead the damn dough for 20 minutes and my shoulders are sore, so it had better be good.

Maintaining this starter is a bit more work that I thought; hopefully I’ll get used to it. I’m just finding it really messy to transfer the starter to a clean jar, discard some, and then mix in the flour and water. The starter is super sticky, so it’s hard to transfer since it wants to stick to the original jar, the spoon, the measuring cup, my hands, the countertop...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:09 am 

Alright, the sourdough bread came out pretty good! I left it in the (turned off) oven overnight to rise, and it rose so much that when I woke up this morning, it had overflowed the loaf pan quite a bit. I ended up slicing off the excess bits of dough and putting them into a second pan. Baked em both for roughly 45 min.

The crust is VERY crunchy, but the inside is nice and soft, and there’s a very pleasant sourdough taste to it. Not bad for a first attempt. Maybe next time I’ll use two loaf pans right from the start. Not sure if I should fiddle with the rise time - I don’t bake much bread - but I can experiment.

I’m toying with the idea of making waffles or pancakes with discarded starter, as well. It’s in the fridge so I might as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:55 am 

I tried making some bread with coconut flour the other day, sufferin' jaysus what a feck up!

I followed the recipe to the letter (not having done this before), the 'dough' looked for all the world like a sticky ball of wallpaper paste. I bunged it in the oven and it was supposed to cook for 55 minutes. I checked after 40, it had ballooned to the size of a dirigible, actually touching the top of the oven. I knew exactly what would happen when I took it out and sure enough it sank faster than a squealer in cement boots.

I cut the crinkled and huddled mess open to find the inside was a raw, rubbery , recalcitrant gloop which would have been a fine compound for fixing punctures in tractor tyres!

However, this had cost money so I was not to be defeated. I sliced it up into thin strips thinking 'I'll make breadsticks out if it', 3 hours later (I'm really not exaggerating) I finally got something I could use for dips......You'd think that would be it, but oh no.....the kitchen had this tinny, metallic smell to it and after I tasted my new coconut bread sticks I got this horrible aftertaste of tin or brass which lasted for nearly 48 hours.

Even now (I did this baking on Sunday) I can still catch a whiff of it, I also kept the sticks and tried another couple today, sure enough about an hour after eating them I got this same horrible taste in my mouth. I'm assuming it's the pysillium powder that was part of the recipe causing this vile taste.

Looks like the rest are going in the bin, along with this pysillium powder.

I made some bread with almond flour after that, sprinkled in some herbs and a crust of parmesan on the top, that came out well and tasted pretty good as a 'proper bread' substitute.

Any ideas what to do with the remainder of the coconut flour? I'm thinking a bit of butter and sugar would make shortbread-a-like biscuits, or butter and cheese would make some cheesy nibbles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:39 pm 

Cheesecake, because what else would I be doing on a Saturday night?

We’re going to my bro’s place for dinner tomorrow, and I offered to bring dessert. I am attempting a recipe I saw on the internet. You make a graham cracker base, and the stick whole graham crackers into it to divide the crust in 4 sections. Then you make cheesecake batter, divide it in 4, and add a different flavouring to each one: raspberry (except I’m doing strawberry), nutella, dulce de leche, and lemon curd. Then you pour each type of batter into one section of the crust. I was intrigued and had to try it. I’ll report back on how it comes out!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:09 pm 

^^^ Those sounds delicious!

I made a loaf of whole wheat bread today. Very, very soft dough, almost like cake batter, but it turned out fairly well. That's one thing I like about bread: as long as the yeast is working, it's pretty much impossible to eff up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:25 pm 

The real test will be how it tastes, but here’s the finished cheesecake (just need to garnish the strawberry swirl section with some fresh berries):

Attachments:
560117E8-4FBD-4C14-A62B-8563A86063A1.jpeg
560117E8-4FBD-4C14-A62B-8563A86063A1.jpeg [ 126.67 KiB | Viewed 2878 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:15 am 

^ That looks fantastic!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:46 am 

Wow! :shock:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 531 Next