The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 23 Next
 Post subject: Re: Soooooo...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:53 am 

I have somehow assumed that anti-vaxxers are mostly a bit stupid. Now I just spotted that Naomi Wolf, feminist author and Rhodes Scholar, is a complete whacko anti-vaxxer conspiracy theorist -- apparently the vaccines are a everything including a "software platform that can receive uploads". Then again, she is a conspiracy theorist of long standing, and has been spouting paranoia for some years. She was at Oxford around the same time as me, but unfortunately I don't remember our paths crossing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Now some anti-vaxxers in the US are claiming the vaccine can make you magnetic. A vaccine that turns me into Magneto? Don't threaten me with a good time :lol:
So much upside! Magnetic? I'll never lose my car keys again. Sterile? Shit, I could have saved myself the trouble of the tubal and the hospital stay! Bluetooth enabled? I can play music out of my mouth when I hike, huzzah!

LOL. And these are the people who are breeding. We're doomed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:44 pm 

We have these types here too. Weirdly, a few are doctors, or supposedly doctors. After seeing them talk, I am curious if they are really doctors or not. There is another doctor or "doctor" here saying that using a mask interrupts your chakras along with the magnet ones.

The few areas of our region that were out of lockdown are being sent back to lockdown on Saturday. Our Health Minister is now in isolation after showing signs of Covid. The rapid test was negative, but they are waiting for a PCR last I heard. He publicly received the "Suerovac" vaccine back in February.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:59 am 

^^Magnetic *and* infertile? Shit, sign me up! I watched one video of a guy who was "proving" that the vaccine made him magnetic. He stuck a magnet to his arm, and then to prove that it wasn't sweat from his skin or something making the magnet stick, he dusted the area with baby powder, and then...failed to get the magnet to stick anywhere. It was hilarious.

Tried to book my second shot this morning...no dice. Waiting in a virtual queue for 90 minutes, only to find out the closest appointments are in a city roughly an hour and a half from me. Guess I'll just have to try again later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:52 am 

They haven't said that the Delta/Indian variant is coursing through NYC, but hospitalizations amongst the unvaccinated are rather high throughout the state given the numbers of new cases (also amongst the unvaccinated, mostly) we have. Deaths are also increasing too, as a percentage of infections. My guess is, the Delta variant is here.

It's near two months since my second jab, and still no Magneto powers. Disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

They're reporting here that vaccinated people can get the Delta variant. I'm guessing that the symptoms are much milder in vaccinated people though. After all, the vaccine isn't a guarantee that you won't get covid - only that you're significantly less likely to end with serious symptoms or in hospital.

I was talking with my weightlifting coach yesterday and he was saying that the gym didn't get through the pandemic well. There's a lot of members who won't come back until they're fully vaccinated, and a lot who set up garage gyms and aren't coming back at all. On top of that, we have to move, as the lease ran out during the pandemic and for various reasons, they don't want to renew at the current location. Coach was saying that they can limp along until Sept, and see if the membership numbers recover, and then they have to make a hard call on whether to stay open or shut the doors :-( The fitness industry in general took a beating with all the lockdowns here, I'm sure they're not the only ones suffering right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 pm 

^They stopped short of saying vaccinated people can't get covid, but they did say everyone in the ICUs was unvaccinated, and only like 1% of those hospitalized with covid were vaccinated. Something like 70% of NY has been partially vaccinated, but only 40% is fully vaccinated.

It was brutal for NY gyms because they were closed for so long. A lot of independent ones went out of business. My mom was inundated with calls about riding lessons though. I guess since they're outdoors, people deemed it safe. Now some of her new clients are dropping their lessons, now that gyms and inside sports venues are open.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:23 pm 

I've tried every single day this week, and I still can't manage to find an appointment for a second shot in my city. I put myself on a waitlist at a pharmacy, but it depends on when they have a) available appointments, and b) actual vaccine shots as to when I might get a call. Super frustrating. Thankfully, my parents got their second doses last week so they should be "fully vaccinated" soon.

I've finally started allowing myself to go back to the barn and ride again. I figure since it's outdoors, I wear a mask, and I have one shot of vaccine, it's a low enough risk that the benefit to my mental health is worth it.

I am a little concerned about the delta variant, since they say that only one shot is less effective against that one. Apparently the R for the delta variant here is above 1, so we're seeing a growth in cases of that variant. Overall case numbers are down, however.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:45 pm 

^My mom couldn't just shut the barn down due to covid. People have their horses boarded there, and they have the right to come ride them, so she just carried on as normal, but with masks and telling people not to congregate. No one got sick from the barn. They had a boarder or student get sick, but it was never like Boarder A, Boarder B, Student C, etc., all from the barn got sick together. So, apparently no outdoor-activity outbreaks occurred.

The delta variant concerns me too. I'm thinking it's going to be another wild covid autumn and winter, with the added bonus that natural immunity to all the other seasonal respiratory viruses will have faded. No masks is going to make for interesting times.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:25 pm 

And now I'm not feeling well. Headache, runny nose, sore throat and a cough. It's past allergy time here, so this is likely some virus, and I'm guessing it's either something like RSV, to which my immunity has waned over the past year, or I'm going to be in 'rona prison despite being vaccinated. I really think I need to go to urgent care for a test tomorrow, because I don't want to spread this motherfucker. I feel like I have a really bad cold gearing up, and that's not something that happens to me much at all, and never in the summertime. Well, shit :x

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 23 Next