The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:51 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2123 Next
 Post subject: Re: Soooooo...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Ooh, just had a text from my gym training partner. When our second lockdown happened, my coach paired me up with one of my team mates, and we took our weightlifting gear to his garage and have been training in there ever since. He texted me today to say that his wife's parents have tested positive for covid - they've been vaxxed so their symptoms were very mild, but positive nonetheless. He and his wife haven't seen her parents for a couple of weeks, but their kids saw them 9 days ago when they went for a sleepover. So their kids have been exposed, and by proxy I guess that means he and his wife have too. Apparently he talked to AHS this morning and they told him he doesn't have to isolate ... which seems a little weird to me.

Eh, whatever. I'm still good with training in the garage - hell, I've been in there the whole time so if he has it, I guess I have it now. Although I have had a smashing headache since last night ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:30 pm 

Here things are a mess. Surprise, surprise, the Sinovac vaccine that most people here have gotten is not turning out to be so great. Apparently, it is doing something to keep people out of the hospital, although, STILL 37% of people in the ICU were fully vaccinated. There are only 196 ICU beds open in the country. Sinovac is proving to be even less useful with limiting transmission. 8,000 new cases a day in a country of 19 million is not good, considering that we are vaccinating at the rate of the US or UK.

Most of the country is still locked down all week or on weekends. We are on weekend lockdown, but with almost 500 active cases you can be sure we will be back to full lockdown soon. I have accepted it. Our authorities recognize that lockdowns don't work here but still use them.

They introduced a mobility pass for fully vaccinated people and then retracted most of the benefits it gave you four days later. Since we are kind of an island, a weekend lockdown municipality surrounded by full lockdown areas, it doesn't give much more mobility since it can't be used to go to fully locked down areas. That means we can't go to the nearest good supermarket or the home improvement store as we had planned because they are in another municipality in full lockdown.

Now, even an online newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party has recognized that only 50% of people that have gotten Sinovac have good levels of antibodies 6 months later. https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202106/1225472.shtm . We started vaccinating in February. It's not looking good for the next few months as immunity goes down. Other countries that used Sinovac or Sinopharm are starting to give an extra dose of mRNA vaccines to strengthen protection. Bahrain and UAE are trying it and Uruguay is considering it. Our government wants to try a 3rd Sinovac dose, since that is going so well so far! I am sure the president has some sort of deal with the vaccine manufacturers.

My husband qualified for early vaccination due to his job. All that was available was Sinovac. He's not feeling like he has much protection at this point. I can't even convince him to get takeout food. Having Pfizer, I'd feel comfortable since it seems really low risk, but on some level, I do understand his concerns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:35 pm 

I did my first music therapy session maskless yesterday. It felt really weird. Some of the assisted living facilities are starting to allow fully vaccinated people to be maskless when visiting. Some of the grocery stores are the same about that too. I still wear a mask at the grocery store and out and about, but I did take off my mask for a visit with another vaccinated patient who has a lot trouble understanding and hearing me with a mask. That was the reason. I'm still pretty cautious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:50 am 

It's pretty much back to normal here, as far as masks go. It's now up to the individual business, and it's either flat out no longer required, or at best, optional. Docs' offices are still requiring them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:11 am 
Site Admin

We're booking second shots now, and I can book mine at the end of June. Our lockdown restrictions are supposed to move to stage 2 tomorrow, but from what I saw when I was walking at a local park last week, they've been pretty much thrown out the window anyway - not like that wasn't going to happen as soon as the weather got nice. At least we can get back to the gym. And with the case numbers having been really low for the last few weeks we may be back to 90% normal by July.

Not sure how I feel about going back to the office in Sept. I've grown to like my working from home gig. At least we have the option to work 3 days from home until the end of our pilot program in Dec, we'll see what the higher-ups have to say then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:51 am 

Back to lockdown tomorrow. Just lovely. They just can't get a handle on things here. New cases are through the roof and ICUs are at capacity. It is so frustrating to see other places going back to some sort of normalcy while we are still in the thick of it and have no idea when things will improve. Supposedly, we'd see improvements due to vaccination in late March, then early April, then mid-April, then May. Now supposedly it will be the end of this month, but I don't believe anything the Health Minister says any more. Maybe the vaccines we are receiving are actually water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

It's so frustrating, right? Canada's well on the way now, but we were so far behind the US for a while there, and all my friends in NZ kept posting pictures of them doing summer things, at concerts and on the patio and stuff. The vaccines have made a huge difference here for sure, weird that you're not making the same headway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:58 pm 

^^ Thanks, yes it is. I am convinced that the difference in vaccines being used that is one of the big issues. The most recent data I have seen indicated that about 80% get the Sinovac vaccine from China. AstraZeneca is only about 1%, CanSino (another Chinese vaccine) is less than 1%. The rest is Pfizer. Yes, I am very thankful I could get Pfizer.

Anyways, more and more medical professionals are coming out to say that Sinovac, which is a deactivated virus, is not as effective in reducing transmission as the mRNA technology. Other countries using Sinovac and the Sinopharm vaccine, which is similar, are also seeing cases rise.

Here is a google translation of one article about this:

[url]https://thetimes.cl/2021/05/28/juan-car ... chile/[url]

According to Juan Carlos Said, an internist at the University of Chile and Master in Public Health, the problem is that "Sinovac is not enough ."

This is stated in a column in CIPER Academic , where he explains that Chile has vaccinated more than 80% of cases with Sinovac, but that "not very effective in cutting the circulation of the virus."

“It has been very good in reducing the number of hospitalized, but not very effective in cutting the circulation of the virus. Most studies in Chile and abroad place the effectiveness of this vaccine to prevent symptomatic infection between 50 and 67%. On the other hand, it is estimated that it prevents hospitalization by 85% and death by 80% ”, he explains in the column.

Instead, Israel has vaccinated its population with the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine, " a vaccine based on the innovative technology of messenger RNA and that has been shown to be highly effective, preventing symptomatic contagion by 95% and hospitalization by 94% " .

According to the Director of the Fundación América Transparente, the difference between the two vaccines is quite significant.

Said points out that it is estimated that a single dose of Pfizer would have a high efficacy in preventing symptomatic contagion of approximately 74%, that is, more than two doses of Sinovac.

Said's vision is similar to that expressed a few weeks ago by the secretary general of the Medical College, José Miguel Bernucci, who stated that with Sinovac "it will be difficult to achieve herd immunity"

" Sinovac does not have the contagion cut that Pfizer has, so it will be difficult to achieve herd immunity, " said the internist.

Doctors making these comments are suggesting we focus on getting more mRNA vaccines. In the end we bought what we could when the world was fighting to get anything. But as vaccination rates go up in developed world there will be more available to export. Unfortunately, the government is very pro-Sinovac and doesn't seem to be placing more orders for Pfizer. Moderna hasn't even been approved. Instead they talk about trying a third Sinovac dose! That makes me wonder if the President and Health Minister are getting kickbacks from the lab or something. They will defend it to the death, I think.

So, that's where we are right now, and it's concerning. Especially since there is now information coming out of China that about half of the people vaccinated with Sinovac do not have good antibody levels after 6 months. Add that to winter coming and the oldest people having been the first to be vaccinated (so first to see antibodies drop) and I think we have a few rough months ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:47 am 

Now some anti-vaxxers in the US are claiming the vaccine can make you magnetic. A vaccine that turns me into Magneto? Don't threaten me with a good time :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Now some anti-vaxxers in the US are claiming the vaccine can make you magnetic. A vaccine that turns me into Magneto? Don't threaten me with a good time :lol:
I read about that yesterday. Those people are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2123 Next