The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:55 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Soooooo...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:40 pm 

Is anyone other than me kinda enjoying the quarantine? DH and I have been working at home together for a month. Our lives have fallen into a much more stress-free routine. We're homebodies anyway so this really isn't a stretch. But it's so nice to roll out of bed together and not have to set the alarm.

And we had THE BEST Easter dinner ever. No stress. No drama. Easy cleanup. No negotiating about different foods.

Post subject: Re: Soooooo...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:07 pm 

We're both still working, so a lot of things haven't changed. We get up at the same time. My schedule has changed somewhat, but his is still the same. We still get up at the same time. He isn't working from home, either.

But yeah, a lot of things haven't changed. Both homebodies here, too. We are fine with staying in and reading, watching movies, playing video games, etc. It's just fine with me. Can't get books from the library, but that's okay. Plenty of other things to do.

We don't really do Easter, so that was neither here nor there.

When I do go out for errands, there's no traffic. I've also found that I actually don't mind waiting in line to get into the grocery store, either. People are very quiet in line, and once inside there are fewer people in my way. :lol: Fewer people seem to be bringing the whole damn family along on to the store, either. Fewer kids screaming and throwing fits and darting in front of my cart.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:18 pm 

Well, I do want to be clear that I feel bad for the people who're suffering, of course, but for the most part, we're fine with it.

We're both homebodies. MrsCO works from home full time, and now I am (I already was three or four days a week anyway). As long as we have jobs and food, a house and our health (such as it is), we're ok.

I miss some things. I miss going to the grocery store every other day (now it's once a week). I miss that I no longer enjoy going to the grocery store, because you're made to feel like you're going into a plague house, so it's in and out as fast as possible. I haven't had to wait yet, because even though we have a shopper limit, it so high (515) that it doesn't matter.

I miss going out to eat, and I don't trust carry-out, even though that's available. There are so many recommendations to make sure your carry-out is CV-free that it just isn't worth it.

We went out yesterday for beer, and the roads were pretty much like any other Saturday around here, fairly busy. We drove through a few small towns along the way, plenty of people out, walking up and down the streets, no masks, no social distancing, really. It wasn't that much different.

I certainly don't feel trapped in my house, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

I miss going to the gym. I had to scramble to order a barbell and some weights before everything sold out, and while I can lift at home when the weather's OK (which it hasn't been at all for the last couple of weeks), I miss my 6am crew, being insulted by my coach, and Bobbi the pit bull greeting me at the door. Although I have to admit catching up on sleep has been wonderful. It's great getting through the day feeling clear headed and alert instead of like a zombie.

I'm working from home and still busy, although we are going to get hammered by the oil price downturn. I suspect a lot of our customers (Tier II and III O&G companies) will go to the wall. Between the coronavirus and that, the economy where I live is not going to come out of this well - our current unemployment rate is the highest in the country and only going to get worse. So I'm thankful to have a job, and also thankful that if I turns out I don't soon, I don't have kids, a mortgage, or any credit card debt. I'm well aware that a lot of people are not so lucky.

I'm also mourning the fact that the travel industry is going to be permanently changed, and that I might not being going anywhere of note for the next 18 months or so. That makes me sad. Especially when things were just coming together to allow me to travel more ...

Myself, the roommate, his girlfriend and three cats are quarantining in the house. It's actually been okay, and nice to have some company. I haven't played board games for years :-) I'm watching lots of YouTube and frantically pinning things for to buy for the new condo, which I finally get to move into on June 3.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:19 pm 

Husband and I are generally handling it pretty well. We’ve both transitioned to working from home - it’s been a bit of an adjustment but overall not too bad.

The two of us are homebodies and introverts as well, so we’re generally ok with staying home and just hanging out around the house.

We’ve been passing the time by reading (I can get library books on my iPad through an app), tooling around on the internet, playing video games, and watching TV/movies. I also plan to do some crafts, jigsaw puzzles, and crosswords.

I do miss some things. Like CarryOn, I miss enjoying grocery shopping - I’ve done click & collect the last couple trips. I miss Thursday bar nights with my friends. I miss karate and I really miss horseback riding. My barn has been forced to close permanently because they can’t give lessons. The horses are all ok and they’re working to lease them out, but the owner has had to accelerate her retirement plans (she wasn’t planning to retire for another few years). This is probably the longest I’ve gone without being on a horse since I was 11.

I also miss seeing my parents and brother. I’ve been talking to my parents on the phone every few days which has helped, but I think I’m going to have to teach them how to use FaceTime. It also looks like we’re not going to be able to go to the cottage any time soon.

I’m hoping that restrictions will loosen enough in the fall to be able to just go on a little local vacation. I will be sad if we don’t make it to the cottage at all this season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:50 pm 

Honestly not much has changed for me at all. I am working from home which I have never done before, and as I suspected I'm not much of a fan of it. I don't feel I am as effective at home, and though I'm happy to still have a job, I still hate my job and don't like having that negativity in my home. (I live alone in a studio, so theres not much I can do to separate my home/work life).

One thing I kind of feel bad about is while other people are struggling to pay bills, etc, because of the feds reducing student loan interest rates to zero until September, I am highly advantaged because I can really attack my debt now).

If anything, I have learned just HOW glad I am to be single and childfree. Listening to my sisters talk about the stress it is to have their kids doing at home virtual school makes me glad it's not me.

Also, I'm very glad I decided to divorce my green card seeking ex a few years back, because I'd have to be supporting him now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:27 am 

I have been working from home as well. I have been busy, as we've picked up a lot of work from insurers, business, and governments about modeling this virus. I can tell you this - if the return things to normal, everywhere except maybe the isolated places will see big jumps in the spread. We throw in air travel into the mix, which is something Joe Schmoe doesn't consider when assessing the risk in his town, and no one will be safe.

We've also done some modeling factoring the shite health of most Americans, and again, the results aren't good. We got new data recently that obesity, and specifically, diabetes, is highly correlated with hospitalizations. It's morbidly interesting, as we can't rely on the data from other countries with far different demographics. It is a giant pain in the ass trying to work in groups from home though. We finally got meeting software put on our computers, but it is still a pain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:51 pm 

The Alicorn - yeah, my financial situation has improved and we're over the financial shock that came with buying the house, so there's money to travel, but now we can't. Here only Latam was still doing a few international flights out, but those stopped on the 13th. It's weird to feel that I can't hop on a plane and leave the country.

CarryOn - that is what my husband and I miss most, being able to go out for a meal and some beers. We don't really trust takeout either, so we are cooking for every meal.

I always have worked from home and my husband is working from home for about the last month. It took an adjustment period to avoid stepping on each others' toes but we have a routine now. We both bought new laptops during all this, which is a great upgrade. I am very grateful we are out of Santiago and living in a real house with more space, not that awful place we were renting.

We generally hang out at home, but we usually like to watch sports on weekends, which no longer exist. My husband added another streaming service so we have access to more things to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:39 pm 

We're still doing takeout at times. We re-heat the food when we get home, and wash our hands after plating everything before it goes into the microwave. We order over the phone, and then someone goes in to grab and go. It's pretty much what we did anyway. I was never one to sit in a fast food-ish place, Chinese restaurant, or Five Guys, or the pizza joint anyway.

I do miss the gym. I'm actually thinking of cancelling my membership for now. I can't see myself feeling safe enough to go, even if they are allowed to re-open. Right now gyms are closed in NY. We've got sufficient workout equipment at home, so I think I'll cancel for the time being.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:33 am 

How cool is this.... :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52306748

And some good news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52279391