The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:48 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous 149 50 51 52 53 Next
 Post subject: Re: Daily Rant Part 1
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:05 pm 

Quote:
“The Mommy Box”.
....that sounds more like a euphemism to me for the stretched and wrecked lady parts of 'mommydom'.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:52 am 

Quote:
Quote:
“The Mommy Box”.
....that sounds more like a euphemism to me for the stretched and wrecked lady parts of 'mommydom'.
...and now I'm envisioning one of those battered, beaten-up boxes where the flaps are all bent out of shape and it won't quite close up correctly. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:15 pm 

We got some snow last Thursday, and it's started melting a bit now. When some of the snow came off the roof, it took a few slate tiles with it. They were all in one section that had been repaired at some point, according to my roofing guy (slate roofs need periodic check-ups). Called the guy out, because without the tiles there is nothing but bare wood on my roof. Guy comes out and tells me that, yep, the galvanized roofing nails that had been used are at the end of their lifespan, and some that had been rusting gave way, letting the tiles fall. He's going to use copper slating nails, which are about $15 per pound. Regular roofing nails are maybe $3 or $4 for a 1 lb box. Thank goodness it's not the entire roof that needs new nails. Yes, slate roofs can last forever, but they're hardly as maintenance-free as people make them sound.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

We got hammered with snow overnight, not four feet at least, but around 12 inches. I went to try and drive to my friends place at 6am (I'm working out in his garage while the gyms are closed for lockdown) and the van made it half way across the parking lot before getting stuck. It was warm yesterday, and the first snow laid down a lovely ice layer underneath everything, before it really started to fall. I spent half an hour digging the van out, before I finally managed to reverse back into the parkade. On the way in, because I'm going backwards, I didn't realize the door hadn't quite gone up all the way, and I dinged the roof rail on the door. Thankfully no damage to the van or the door, but it gave me a hell of a fright.

Now that the grounds guys have come and plowed the parking lot and the traffic has packed down some of the snow, I'm going to try and get over there this afternoon. The roads are probably going to be chaos tomorrow as well - the sun came out and it's hovering right around freezing, but it's supposed to get really cold overnight and all that slush is going to be snot slick tomorrow morning. Ugh. Thank Dog I'm working from home. it's going to be gnarly for a few days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:51 pm 

COVID numbers have gotten scary high here (the government has really fucked up the management of the second wave), so I decided to go back to click & collect for groceries. So tonight I was on my iPad, putting together a grocery order at the store closest to me (I hadn’t done online ordering with this store before today). I manage to find all the stuff I want, get it all into my cart, and go to checkout. I get a message that they’re having “technical issues” with Safari, and to please use another browser.

You couldn’t have told me that BEFORE I wasted 30 minutes getting my entire order together, you fuckers?!?!

So then I had to go get my laptop and use a different browser to re-do the entire order. I was so pissed off!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:13 am 

Not to be unsympathetic, but that might have fit better under First World Problems!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:44 am 

@Herbie - I'm with you. I use Kroger's scan-and-go app to scan and pay for my groceries via my phone. I was an early adopter, especially of the pay-through-the-app piece.

It started off rough a few years ago when it rolled out, then it finally stabilized enough that I was pretty happy with it.

The last three months, though, it's as bad as when it first rolled out, and I never know which kind of error I'm going to get!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 pm 

When we were first sent into strict lockdown (lasted 132 days) in May of last year, we were having car problems. Strict lockdown here required going to a website and getting a permit just to do basic errands, with only 2 permits allowed a week. That, combined with the fact that none of the main supermarket chains offer delivery in our area led me to try a site called Telemercados. I placed an order of about 40 items. First I get a message that 15 things are not available. I accept and then get another message that another 10 are not in stock. So, I had to cancel the order.

Fortunately, it seems to have been a consequence of all 32 municipalities of greater Santiago along with another 6, including where I live, being locked down at the same time. We tried a few months later and didn't have a problem, so I guess they got caught up with the demand. Since then, they have been our go to place for most shopping. We make a trip usually once a week into town for some brands/items that aren't available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:01 am 

^^^ We had a terrible time with grocery delivery, too.

First, I tried the store's delivery system (order through the store, delivered by UPS): Let's see...flour..."Item not available for delivery"...Raisin Bran..."Item unavailable"...olives..."Item not available for delivery"...I think my first order, I wanted 35 things, I got seven.

Tried Instacart - what a joke. The first order was ok, barely. Certainly not enough to justify the added on service charges and the increased prices.

The second order was abysmal. So much wrong it wasn't even funny, uncooperative and combative shopper...and I'm paying a premium for this? I don't think so...

I had the best luck with Kroger's curbside pickup. It's nearly always correct, but I got irritated by the swaps, and the way that, on the day of pickup, I'd get a text that'd say, "We're out of diced tomatoes, please approve substitute of ketchup" or something equally unsuitable, and it wouldn't let me suggest a substitute of my own; it was the ketchup or nothing.

Once, I was so mad at the weak substitution, I showed up to pick up my order, walked into the store, and walked right back to where the item I was looking for was...and there it was.

After that, and a few other bungles, I just decided to mask up and do my own shopping.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 am 

Quote:

Once, I was so mad at the weak substitution, I showed up to pick up my order, walked into the store, and walked right back to where the item I was looking for was...and there it was.

I rarely, if ever, shop online for groceries. I do use a lot of fresh produce and I like to choose my own ,but also because of this^ very issue.

There have been a couple of occasions I have deliberately ordered online because it was bulky stuff e.g. a case of wine, only to be told it wasn't available. I've then got in the car, walked into the shop and found the exact thing (and plenty of it) on the shelves.

I always refuse substitutions because they rarely, if ever, would be things I would buy.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous 149 50 51 52 53 Next