The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:39 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous 147 48 49 50 5153 Next
 Post subject: Re: Daily Rant Part 1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:12 am 

I'm signed up on a site where I get invited to take part in research studies by universities (undergrads, Phd students, general research) and for the most part it's really interesting.

But today I did a survey about 'working women' (the title made me laugh).....and again, even from people you'd think would know better, all the questions assumed that 'working woman' = ' working mother' and how guilty or otherwise do you feel about working late, attending networking events etc and the impact of working on 'the family'.

Often I get the opportunity to make some comment, not for this one though....which may be just as well, by the time I'd finished the exercise I was about to rip these 'researchers' a new one. I worked for 35 years without ever once feeling guilty about working late.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:24 am 

FFS, when will people understand that carnivore does not = omnivore :evil:

Why the fuck do people think that including meat in your diet makes you a carnivore? I don't have dirty great long canines or eat an exclusively meat based diet. I don't drag dead carcasses of antelope up trees, or hunt zebra down as part of a pack.

I swear people are getting stupider.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:51 am 

^^^ It's not just your area; I've had to point this out multiple times.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:44 am 

My employer is providing 2 cloth face masks for every employee (including those of us who are working from home). I got an email yesterday from my boss, saying that the masks are available and we should pick them up before the end of the week.

So first thing today, I hop on my bike and ride over to the office. First time I've been to the office in months. I walk in, and find my coworker who is distributing the masks. Turns out, they only have enough for caretakers, and so they're only getting distributed to caretakers today (not that it's going to do a lot of good...I saw 4 caretakers there and 3 of them were wearing their masks below their noses!!!!)

So it turns out that I rode down to campus for no reason. Complete waste of a trip. At least I got my morning bike ride in.

When I got home, I email my boss and tell him I couldn't get masks. He immediately calls me and says that I should have gotten masks, he just spoke to the exec director an hour ago and they were supposed to be distributed to everyone today.

I'm glad it's not me who has to sort out this mess. I just hope that I don't have to waste another trip to try to obtain these stupid masks...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:58 am 
Site Admin

We had ours distributed to us back in April. Wow.

I hate wearing the cloth masks though, they're hot (and ours are black, so even worse if you wear them outside). I ended up buying a box of the disposable ones, which makes me an environmental terrorist, but whatever. They're cooler, they don't fog my glasses up, and I don't have to worry about washing them every day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:57 pm 

^^I work for a very large institution, so they are distributing 25,000 masks. Most of us have been working from home since mid-March, so I guess their priority was to get the masks ready in time for September.

I already have one mask that I got from my union, and a few that husband bought (a couple of them are fancy dust masks, the others are simple cloth masks), plus one that a friend made for me (I lent her my sewing machine since she's better at sewing than me). I feel like I'm still looking for the goldilocks mask - ear loops (instead of ties), nose wire (to keep my glasses from fogging), comfortable. I can't believe that with all the damn masks I've acquired, I still haven't found one that fits those simple requirements!

The good news is that the coworker who didn't give me masks when I arrived at the office this morning called and said she could drop some off on her way home from work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:08 pm 

Our office has a strict mask policy. They handed out masks, cloth ones, about a month ago. Now, I have like 5 masks, but I washed them and forgot to put one in my purse before going to the office. The only thing I had was an old respirator style mask (like painters use when sanding). I could sit in my office sans mask, as long as my door was closed and my window open. If someone came in, or I left my office, I had to wear the respirator. My husband sometimes wears them at work, and he brought some older ones home, so they just happened to be in the car.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:52 am 

We just found out we're not coming back to the office until sometime in 2021, date TBD. I know the way they're handling masks (for those who have to come in) is if you don't have one, they'll provide a disposable one at the door.

I bought four cloth masks for us a while ago, from a place called VPL (Visible Panty Line), and they're made from vintage kimono fabric $50 for four, and for every four-pack, they donated a mask to local essential workers, something like that.

I'm also a glasses-wearer, and I've found the key to the fogging issue isn't to wash your glasses with soap or anything like that - it's simply wearing the mask high enough that my glasses fall well below the mask line. My mask is right up under my eyes, almost even with my bottom eye lashes. No issues with fogging at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Now, I have like 5 masks, but I washed them and forgot to put one in my purse before going to the office.
Same! I've actually ordered some more cloth ones that I'm going to leave in random places, because we have a mandatory mask in public indoor spaces bylaw here now. A few times (usually when I'm on the motorcycle) I've headed out and not had one on me, so had to turn around and go home without whatever I went to pick up. So these ones are going to live on the motorcycle, in my bag, in my gym bag, places like that.

I did go in to pick up beer and told the guy I'd just leave my helmet on while I walked to the cooler and then to the checkout, and he was fine with that. A year ago, if you'd done that, they'd have called the police on you. How the times have changed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:28 am 

^^^ I bought a pack of 10 disposable masks for each car, and they've come in handy!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous 147 48 49 50 5153 Next