The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:58 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1750 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1167 168 169 170 171175 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I guess that's the difference between a rural farming setting (where I can see they would be beneficial, assuming you don't keep poultry), versus a domestic residential area.
Little known fact about Disneyland. There are, at any given time, approximately 200 feral cats living on the property for precisely this reason. It's rare to see one when you visit the park because they're feral and stay away from humans. But at night they come out and (ironically) keep the mouse population in check. Rats too.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

We have a resident coyote in the greenspace right in front of our building. I've been outside with Aja the cat, close to the fenceline that separates the two, and the coyote has trotted up the path not ten feet away from us. She isn't scared of people at all. I've watched her intimidate people with dogs right out of the greenspace before. That's why 99% of the time, miss kitty only goes outside with me standing watch.

Aja likes to hunt mice outside, but I just leave the bodies and they're always gone the next day. Food for the crows and the owls.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:37 pm 

Foxy hasn’t caused any issues with smells or anything yet, but she did rather upset husband last night. We had a baby bunny that was living in our yard, and the fox caught it for dinner last night. Husband was outside trying to chase our groundhog away so the fox didn’t get him, and he unwittingly flushed the bunny out of its hiding spot. Poor husband is traumatized (despite me repeatedly reminding him that foxes need to eat). This from the man who eats meat at almost every meal!

So far, the fox has killed the bunny, a squirrel, and a rat in my yard. I’m sitting on the deck right now and the fox is curled up in one of my flowerbeds, having a nap. Doesn’t seem to be scared of people (and I just chased another bunny rabbit out of the yard).

I will be setting up a motion-activated sprinkler this weekend in advance of my vegetable plants going in the ground - as much as the wildlife is cute to see, I don’t want my entire crop sacrificed to animals.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:36 am 

We had a big groundhog living under the machine shed, and she (we figured out it was a female after she had kids) would chase the foxes away. She had to be a good 15 lbs, and she did not tolerate their presence at all. Usually groundhogs are pretty spooky, but she was rather aggressive, almost badger-like. She had some serious teeth. She would look out from under the shed with her head tilted up, and you could see her wood-chucking incisors. Woodchucks really don't chew on wood though, so go figure.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:40 am 

Up near my parents' cabin in the Adirondacks, there are ponds with beavers. I have seen them, but never up close. But, speaking of teeth, we would fine felled trees that were 8 inches in diameter, taken down by the beavers. God knows how they can fell trees near water, and then get them constructed into dams.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I will be setting up a motion-activated sprinkler this weekend in advance of my vegetable plants going in the ground - as much as the wildlife is cute to see, I don’t want my entire crop sacrificed to animals.
Hey, if you have a fox in the yard, you're not going to have a bunny within a mile of the place.

I was dozing at 5.30 this morning with the window open, and all hell broke loose in the greenspace. Resident coyote howling up a storm, and someone screaming and yelling ... I can only assume someone offleashed their dog down there and the dog either got attacked, or got chased. That would have been a nice wakeup call for someone.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:52 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, if you have a fox in the yard, you're not going to have a bunny within a mile of the place.
The foxes sure do seem to be efficient killing machines - I wake up almost every morning and see what bits of dead critters they've strewn across my yard. Rabbits, squirrels, rats, birds, mice - they seem to kill whatever they can, and then they come back later to eat the remains. At least they clean up after themselves.

I think they are starting to move on now - we're seeing them a little less often, and I think the babies have grown up enough now to move out on their own. At this rate they'll have to move to a new area before this one runs out of rodents for them to eat.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:04 am 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... -del-fuego

Introduced beavers are a major problem in Tierra del Fuego.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:02 pm 

Here's something I just freaking hate: kid is misbehaving, Mom says, "I'm going to give you to the count of three to knock that off," and then Mom counts "1...2...2-1/4...2-1/2...2-3/4..."

THAT'S NOT COUNTING TO THREE, MOM!!! THAT'S FIVE GOING ON SIX!!!" :x

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Just hearing on the news that the animals shelters have started to fill up with animals again. Now that covid restrictions are lifting, people are going back to work and kids are going back to after school activities, lots of people have decided they don't have time to look after the animals they adopted during the lockdown.

Fuck all of you losers. Shit like this makes me SO mad. Animals aren't toys or conveniences, you assholes.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1750 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1167 168 169 170 171175 Next