The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:17 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1750 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1170 171 172 173 174 175 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:47 am 

Quote:
They announced a lottery here with three $1m prizes, if you get the vaccine.

If' they're gonna bribe the stupid people to get the vaccine, hell, I'll have some of that. I signed up yesterday.
The state is doing that here. Five $1M winners and five free state university educations if you're a minor. Also Kroger (big grocery chain) announced they're giving away five $1M prizes (I think it's five) and 50 free-groceries-for-a-year prizes, if you've gotten your vaccine from Kroger.

Things here are pretty much business-as-usual. Businesses can require masks, but there's no mandate to do so. Social distancing is encouraged, but not required. You do still have to wear masks at the doctors'.

We went to our first outdoor festival since 2019, a German summerfest. They limited attendance through advanced ticket sales, but it was quite nice - lots of beer, sausages, and polka. No restrictions beyond the attendance numbers. We're hitting a Celtic festival tomorrow.

Even though I support masking and distancing and all that, here it's time to get open again, because pretty much anyone who wants vaccinated has been vaccinated, so once that happens, you may as well open up, because no one else is getting the jab, and you can't mask and restrict forever. Our state has leveled out at about 46% fully vaccinated. My ultra-conservative county...about 35%.

Going to see my folks Sunday for the first time since early March 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Yikes, that's really low. We're just under 70% first doses here and should reach that milestone this week. Once we do then they'll move us into the next stage of opening, which will be looking a lot like getting back to normal.

There's already companies saying that no vaccine, no dice for services, which has people jumping up and down. The airlines have said that you won't be able to fly without at least one shot, and rest homes are going to make it mandatory for all workers to be fully vaxxed. We're having a watered down version of Stampede this year and you can't participate in the rodeo without being vaxxed either. As more places put that restriction in, I'll listen to the sweet sound of all the antivaxxers bitching about how unfair it all is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:07 pm 

Quote:
Yikes, that's really low.
We're (Ohio) right in the middle as far as states go. Alabama is the lowest, at something like 28% and Vermont is the highest at 62% (I think).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure there's a direct correlation to how those states voted in the last election too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:20 pm 

I never believed in the UK unlocking post vaccine, the politicians aren't up for that

But those who did believe are upset

It's at 58% with two vaccinations now, possibly 70% with just one.

Does the US have lateral flow tests - or pregnancy tests, as I call them.

I don't want more heart trouble, it was scary, I'm not anti vax. I think it's reasonable to be worried after the experience I had.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:15 pm 

My mom has this way old truck that she uses mostly for moving manure around the farm. It's incredibly old (probably late '80s), and has a lot of hard miles on it from being her former-former primary tow vehicle. She mentioned that the truck "may be burning oil" now. I was over there yesterday afternoon, and great googly-moogly - that thing is smoking more than Snoop Dogg. It looks like one of those James Bond vehicles that has a smoke screen to foil the bad guys. I am betting ol' Rusty may be heading off to the junkyard soon. I doubt she'll put money into fixing the engine on it, when it's held together with rust and hope at this point. Big Red retired to farm life, but he's used as a run-about - basically the vehicle my mom drives to and from the barn when it's bad weather out, or really, really cold. Guess she's going to have to get a trailer for the Kubota to haul the poop around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Just booked a July trip to Ottawa to go with my Sept trip to Montreal. The airfares are crazy right now, and with my first shot done and my second due next week, why the hell not? Might as well take advantage before everyone starts flying again and the fares go through the roof, like all the experts are predicting.

This summer might be half decent after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:39 pm 

I spent 4 hours at the dealership getting maintenance and repairs on my RAV4, and my wallet is much lighter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:51 am 

Just had a friend and her husband come for lunch. I haven't seen her since Feb '20, and him probably six months before that. He has aged so much! He's about 75 now, but was totally fit and sharp last time I saw him. She hasn't mentioned he's had an illness, but he seemed quiet and vague and quite doddery, so there must be. Obviously I can't bring it up if she doesn't, but RogerRabbit and I were both shocked by the change in him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:10 am 

Quote:
Just had a friend and her husband come for lunch. I haven't seen her since Feb '20, and him probably six months before that. He has aged so much! He's about 75 now, but was totally fit and sharp last time I saw him. She hasn't mentioned he's had an illness, but he seemed quiet and vague and quite doddery, so there must be. Obviously I can't bring it up if she doesn't, but RogerRabbit and I were both shocked by the change in him.
Sorry to hear that.

I can't stop buying things. It's not like me. I'm on Etsy like some sort of addict. It's partly bevause I want to move and/or redcorate but it's getting a little nuts!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1750 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1170 171 172 173 174 175 Next