The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:20 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1080 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1104 105 106 107 108 Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:51 am 

We're back to masks at work after someone tested positive last week. I am currently at home, awaiting the results of my first, and I hope last, covid test. It was unpleasant.

The only upshot is I don't have to leave my house in this awful heat, until I get a confirmed negative test. Triple-digit heat indices and intolerable humidity. I've set up shop in the nice, cool basement for now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:32 am 
Site Admin

My work is back to masks indoors even if you're vaccinated. LA County has reinstated their mask mandate and I'm expecting San Diego County to do the same thing unless things get better quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:59 pm 

^^^ Same here, and my employer just announced that they'll be requiring proof of vaccination shortly. As they put it, "We're not coming down for or against vaccines, but the reality is that in order to do business in today's world, you need to be vaccinated."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:24 pm 

My employer also mandated vaccines, or weekly covid tests on your dime. A few bitched about their "freedom", and the response was that they have complete freedom to seek other employment.

I am vaccinated, but I will have to mask up when allowed back to the office.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:57 am 

Masks have been mandated in indoor public spaces for a while here and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

My work has been requiring masks as well. You’re allowed to take it off at your desk, but as soon as you get up to use the washroom, get a drink, talk to a coworker -mask goes back on.

I also just got notice that my work will be requiring vaccines for people who want to come to campus this fall. That’s a relief. I’ve been told that pretty much everyone on the floor where my office is has been vaccinated (there was actually a vaccine clinic in the building at one point), so I was feeling good about that, but now I’m happier that it seems most of the people on campus will be vaccinated as well.

It’ll probably still be masks for a while, but yay for vaccines!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:32 pm 

Just as husband and I were sitting down to dinner tonight, there was a massive downpour of rain. Cue both of us scrambling to get outside - him to cover the bbq and me to get the laundry off the line. By the time we’d accomplished both of those things, we were both soaked to the skin- it was really raining! So we had to change clothes and dry ourselves off before we could get back to dinner.

There was only a 20% chance of rain today. At least my garden got watered.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:21 am 
Site Admin

I wish it would rain here. We're looking at a hell of a fire season if it doesn't, although this isn't the right time of year for rain here. And if we got a downpour like that it would just cause flooding problems because our drainage is barely sufficient to handle the 25 cm or so of rain that we do get every year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

The shit is hitting the fan in a very big way today. Our team has been getting slowly downsized for the last 2 years at work, and then last week our second contract maintenance person quit. She'd only been in the job for two months, and HR had dragged their asses hiring her and almost caused our senior person to have a mental breakdown, doing everything solo for six weeks. The junior told HR she simply couldn't handle the workload (and it's definitely a busy position).

So we're right in the middle of budgets, the US bigwigs were here last week waving their big sticks, and on Friday afternoon we were told that they wouldn't be backfilling that position.

You have to be fucking kidding. That's not an option.

And then today the senior quit as well. Can't say I blame her. She developed an autoimmune condition this year and I'm sure work stress is the cause of it.

We've only just got one of our other team members back after being on stress leave for almost three months. And we have one other person who we know from her login records, is working far too much overtime already. The team lead and I have zero room to take on any more. Our new controller bowled in last week and said to both of us "You need to take some vacation, you have too much" and we both stared at her and said "So, when do you suggest we do that?" Year end is Sept 30, and we have a fuckton of work that needs to be done before then. Nobody's doing our work while we're away, either.

I was really hanging in there to make my three years since the takeover, as when I do I get a share allotment that's worth about $30K and would fund the van for my vanlife retirement plans. But depending on how things go this week, that might all be very much up in the air. The team lead (my accounting junior) is ready to quit as well. She's exhausted and burned out, and she has a disabled daughter at home that's she's trying to get off to university next week. At least all I have to worry about is me and the cat.

She's gonna be a week. I need a drink.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:47 pm 

^^ Wow, that sounds like a horrible work environment. I'm sorry you are dealing with that.

My last job ended up being like that. I had to go on stress leave. I had lost weight and wasn't sleeping because I was up all night dreading the next day. When I got back, they laid me off. It dragged on bit more than it should because the protests here started and everyone was working for home. To let someone go, they have to meet in person and sign paperwork. I got about 5 months severance (thank you Chilean labor law) and found new work soon, so it was okay in the end.

LadyPhoenix - here too, we are in desperate need of some rain. This is supposed to be our rainy season but we are way below average. I wonder what the wildfires will be like this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:40 am 

^^Alicorn, you have my sympathies on the work situation- that sounds terrible. I hope you can get it resolved soon.

Today, we got another 2 am Amber Alert! This time, the info that we were given for both child and abductor was name and age. No description, no vehicle description, nothing. It’s like whoever sends these alerts isn’t even trying anymore. What the fuck am I supposed to do with this information? Get up out of bed at 2 am and wander around my neighborhood, asking everyone I see “are you so-and-so?” How is waking up the entire province with information that is not going to help locate either kid or abductor helpful?

The emergency alerts system is a total joke. 90% of people (myself included) don’t even bother reading them anymore, just turn off the alarm and go back to bed. If there’s ever a situation where I am actually in danger, guess I’m SOL.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1080 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1104 105 106 107 108 Next