The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:16 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1080 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1101 102 103 104 105108 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:55 am 

This rain and humidity needs to stop. My hair has been no less than four inches out from each side of my head for probably two months now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:35 am 

My power is out, again. This is the 4th unexpected outage we’ve had this summer. We usually get about 1 per year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:45 am 

I weeded the veggie garden yesterday- it really needed it, while my veggie plants are doing well, so were the weeds. Garden looks great now.

Last night, felt a little sore, guess I’m just not used to that much bending, getting up and down. My knee started hurting a bit, so I hydrated and rubbed some voltaren on it.

My knee pain actually made it hard to sleep last night, and then today I woke up - no more knee pain! Yay! Except the backs of both my legs are extremely, extremely tender and painful. I took some Ibuprofen and I’m sitting here with my legs up, but ow! This really hurts!

Who knew all of this would happen just from weeding the garden…

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 am 

^^^ It's all that bending over.

I'm a daily walker, usually 2-3 miles a day, and when we got back from vacation in Florida a few weeks ago, I stopped walking for about two weeks (too much other stuff going on).

Yesterday, I walked two miles, and today, my legs are killing me. Just that short break got them all lazy and useless! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:12 am 
Site Admin

The stupidest things kick your ass! I work out lifting heavy things five days a week, but when I was painting the old house, and putting up light fixtures in the new one, I was going up and down ladders all day as well as holding things overhead. The next day my entire body was trashed. Painting = workout, who knew?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:14 pm 

I'm really, really missing my manual transmission. The satisfaction of driving is gone with the automatic. No angry downshifting, and dumping the clutch to pass someone going too slow. No zipping through the gears as you accelerate onto the highway like it's the Autobahn. I like Red Jr., but I have to pawn him off on someone, and get a WRX. I should have gotten a damn WRX in the first place. Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:35 am 
Site Admin

I'd only owned manuals for nearly 25 years when I got my Mazda 3. I'd planned on getting a different one that was a manual but when I got to the dealer it had been sold already. So we looked at this one. Same year but lower mileage and an automatic. It was practically brand new but much cheaper than an actual new car. Sometimes I miss my manual but not when I'm stuck in traffic, which is a pretty common thing in SoCal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:32 am 

Big Red, my old 4Runner, had a monstrous clutch to work in traffic. When I got the Forester, the clutch was so easy that traffic failed to bother me anymore. My coworker's WRX has that same easy clutch, as does another coworker's Civic. I guess I feel like I am not driving the car without three pedals and a stick.

I even drove some fancy rides prior to going with the RAV4, and I still felt nothing. Sure, the M3 and F-type were fast, but they were still boring to operate. And hell no was I actually going to spend *that much* on a car here in the Rust & Snow Belt. Test drives are fun though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:15 pm 

Count me as another pro- manual transmission vote! Every car I've owned has one (note: I've owned only three cars my adult driving life thus far, but still). I know my current 2002 car won't live forever, but my next car will also be manual transmission. Much more satisfying and involving to drive. Even stop-and-go traffic isn't really an issue...I don't really think about how often I step on the clutch TBH. It's just...driving.

I borrowed my mom's car while I was visiting, and hers is an automatic. I drove fine (well, except for occasionally jamming my left foot thru the floor at red lights). And I'll be the first to admit that automatics have reeeeally come a long way and are pretty efficient and smooth. They downshift better on climbing and passing. But I just felt uninvolved in driving. Sorta "put the sofa in gear and away you go".

When I was talking with the spouse about future new cars he said, "You'll have a lot fewer choices if you stay with manual" and I said, "That's okay, I'll be getting the kind of driving experience that I like".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

I have an automatic now, because I wanted the baby camper wagon, and the only option the Transit Connect comes in is auto. But had I been looking for another car, then it would have been a Mazda3 and it would have been a manual.

Sometimes I miss the manual on the open road, but most of the time I don't. The time I notice it most is winter, when it was great to be able to drive as you, and not the trans, wanted to in slippery conditions.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1080 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1101 102 103 104 105108 Next