The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:08 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 am 

^^Mr. Snuffalupagus stopped being invisible sometime around the late 1980s - I remember him being seen on-screen when I was a kid. He looks a little like a really hairy elephant.

I read once that the showrunners decided to make him un-invisible because they were concerned about children who were being abused not wanting to tell adults about the abuse because they feared the adults wouldn't believe them (similar to how the grown-ups on Sesame Street never believed Big Bird that Snuffalupagus was real). When the grown-ups finally met Mr. Snuffalupagus, they tell Big Bird that from now on, they'll believe him when he tells them something.

Sesame Street is a kids' show, but over the years it's handled a lot of sensitive topics pretty well (Mr. Hooper's death, introducing an HIV-positive muppet to the show, etc).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:16 pm 

I used to watch re-runs of Hogan's Heroes as a kid. So much hilarity in that Nazi prisoner-of-war camp, there was. I believe I read somewhere that the actors that played both Col. Klink and Sgt. Schultz were Jewish.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:20 pm 

Yeah, he went visible sometime when I was still in the single digit ages (and I'm 45). I think they started out with him invisible to adults because they were going for Big Bird (who's written at about age four) having an imaginary friend. Not sure why they changed it...something about wanting to have adult figures who believe kids or something. At any rate, that wasn't as annoying as Elmo...show went downhill once that redhead took over...

I agree that they handled sensitive topics well. The episode about Mr. Hooper's death was excellent. Background for those who haven't seen it: the actor who played human character Mr. Hooper died, and they debated about how to handle it on the show...saying he moved away, or retired, or what. But they took the right road (in my opinion) and just had the character die, too. I think the actors modeled good ways for adults to talk to kids about it.

Sadly, if that happened now I wonder if they would get flak for being "too dark" and how dealing with loss is "inappropriate material" for a kids' show. The world is much more bubble-wrapped now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:59 am 

The main TV shows/movies that come to mind for me are The Waltons and the Indiana Jones films, only because my sister and I used to watch them repeatedly whenever we stayed over at my grandparents, happy times :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:04 pm 

The Golden Girls has lovely memories for me as I used to watch that together with my gran.

Psycho reminds me of my uncle because he was the one who introduced me to Hitchcock films and that was the first one we watched together.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:41 pm 

The Goonies and SNL.