The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:45 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Re: Video games
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:01 pm 

So I've always, always been a PC gamer. The last console system I owned was a Coleco (yay I'm old) when I was in like fifth grade. I've just never been interested in console gaming.

Recently my spouse got a PS4 because he'd been playing Fallout 76 at a friend's house and got really into it. I've watched him play and the game seems interesting...I like how it's open-ended and kind of sandbox-y.

So I made an account and have been trying to play, and the results are pretty hilarious because I'm clueless on console controls. :lol: I'm learning, though. But sometimes I get impatient and think "This would be so much easier with mouse and WASD!".

ETA: Also Mass Effect has looked interesting, too...I might check that out. Thanks for reminding me, Herbaceous.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Mass Effect is great! I highly recommend it. You can skip Andromeda unless you end up being a hardcore fangirl like me but the first three are some of the best games ever, although the first one is showing its age a bit re: graphics and gameplay.

Fallout 76 is... interesting. As a fan of Fallout from the very beginning it's taken some getting used to. Fallout has always been very much a single player game. Throwing other people into the mix is a huge variable and it doesn't always work. Although some DLC has just dropped that could make things interesting again. I might feel differently if my friends were available to play more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:06 pm 

Finished Mass Effect 2 on Tuesday evening. What a fantastic game. Such an amazing ending!

I'm now torn between moving on to Mass Effect 3 immediately, playing some more side content from Mass Effect 2, or switching to something different entirely before I play Mass Effect 3 (Borderlands 3 comes out in September, and if I play all 3 Mass Effect games and then Borderlands, it's a lot of shooters in a row). Decisions, decisions...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Make sure you download the Extended Cut DLC for Mass Effect 3 (it's free) if it doesn't already come with it. Otherwise the ending sucks balls.

If you haven't done the Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival DLCs (I recommend doing them in that order) I highly recommend it. ME 3 will make a lot more sense if you do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:40 am 

I started on Mass Effect 3 last night (after playing a bunch of the DLCs, thanks for the tip LadyPhoenix!).

I'm looking forward to seeing how the story ends, but then I'm sure I'll be sad when I finish and there are no more Mass Effect games to play. I always feel sad at the end of a great series, whether it's TV/movies/books/video games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm sure I'll be sad when I finish and there are no more Mass Effect games to play.
There's always Andromeda. :lol:

Honestly the story isn't bad. The Andromeda Initiative (run by a mysterious benefactor, natch) built a number of ark ships to journey to Andromeda and start colonies there after building a large space station called the Nexus (like a smaller version of the Citadel but without some of the fancy tech). Turns out the benefactor knew about the Reapers even before Shepard did and made plans to get themselves and about 100K others the hell out of Dodge. They leave the Milky Way in 2185, about a year before the Reapers show up. The human ark is the last to arrive in Andromeda in 2819 and you quickly discover that many things didn't go as planned. Sounds interesting, right? But EA pulled their A team off Mass Effect to work on Anthem and it shows. Alas, you never find out the identity of the benefactor (which may have happened in a second game) and a few other loose ends are present too but mostly about things that happen after you reach Andromeda. Mass Effect now has something in common with Indiana Jones. Their fourth installments are both painful.

I played through each game in the trilogy at least six times (had to beat it with every class) but I only played through Andromeda thrice and the third one was just so I could get the remaining achievements I hadn't unlocked.

There were some cool concepts like eschewing the traditional class system and the addition of a jet pack so you could jump over obstacles or get a tactical advantage by getting up high, but it wasn't enough to save it IMO. It never even got any DLC, which the ending left it wide open for.

I rate the first three games 9.5, 10, and 10 respectively. I give Andromeda about a 6.5. Worth it if you're an ME diehard like me but you'll curse EA for what they have done to the franchise and mourn what could have been.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:15 am 

I'm working my way through Assassins Creed unity, and the lock picking made me miss skyrim. Turns out I nearly forgot what I was doing in skyrim.... so I picked up Sims 3 again and played that for an hour before laptop started heating up.
I don't like to spend too much on games, and enjoy 100%ing games when I do play.
I'm not really interested in playing with others. Darn coop missions!