The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:58 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Kids and back to school
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

So they've said that the kids in the province I live in (Alberta, Canada) are all headed back to school come September. They seem to be pretty much leaving it up to each school or school board to decide how they want to handle it, but masks are not going to be mandatory, apparently, and they're not considering cutting the numbers in each classroom to allow distance.

I was talking to one of my co workers today and she was saying that she's stuck between a rock and a hard place. Her kids are all younger (the oldest is eight, the youngest will start school early next year) and they're clamoring to be allowed to go back. She really wants them back so she can concentrate on working, instead of having to supervise/homeschool them all day. But of course, she's really worried about the fact that at the start of school every year, kids come home with every bug going, and the entire family is sick for weeks. Now is really risking that that bug is going to be coronavirus, rather than a garden variety cold.

I saw a post on FB last night that said "What's the problem? Less than 1% of children catch coronavirus". Which is totally true, of course. Totally missing the point that they drag it home as asymptomatic carriers, and infect everybody else in the house, who then take it to work and pass it to their co-workers, and next thing bang, your province is shut down again. Which working adult has time to self isolate for two weeks? or even worse, be sick for three months, if they catch it from their little petri dishes?

The teachers are furious, and I would be too. They don't get paid enough to deal with these little assholes at the best of times, much less when they're risking their health to do it. I wonder how many teachers will quit this summer ...

Why, if they're making masks mandatory for everyone in indoor spaces starting next week, are 30 snotty, dirty kids in a classroom exempt? There's way less chance of them covering their cough or sneeze or washing their hands than your average adult, if the open mouthed hacking and snot-sucking I've seen in public is any indication. Ugh.

As I was talking to her, I realized how fucking grateful I am that the only person I have to worry about during this whole thing, is me. No worries that my kid is getting sick, or making me sick, or making their grandparents or someone else sick, or missing school, or not going to have a grad like happened this year, or any of that shit. Being a parent sucked before this pandemic, but man, does it suck hard now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:33 pm 

I'm in Ontario, and here, nobody seems to know for sure what's going to be happening come September. Lots of people are freaking out since what happens if schools are closed, but parents have to go back to work? (September seems to be when a lot of people will be expected to return to the office, although I'm told that it's likely I will be working from home through the end of 2020).

And I 100% agree with what Alicorn said - even if only a small number of the kids catch the virus, they'll take it home to mom and dad and siblings everyone else, and it just spreads from there. Plus, look at the law of large numbers. Say 1% of Canadians die from the virus. Canada's population is 37,971,020 - that's 397,710 deaths, which I'd say is too damn many.

I do think that keeping schools closed (elementary anyway, maybe secondary school students may be better able to follow directions with regards to masks and social distancing) would probably be the best answer - but more than anything, I'm just really, really glad that it's not my problem and it's not something I have to worry about.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:41 pm 

Here in Vegas, there was a lot of confusion over what was going to happen when school starts. I have parent friends and teacher friends, and teacher friends who are parents. In the end, the School District (one of the largest in the country) decided that there will only be distance (ie remote) learning. Of course, some of the parents started howling that their precious will fall behind, they want to see their friends, they can't return to work if the kids aren't in school etc. etc. Honestly, it's a shitshow for everyone, but I'm glad they're not forcing the kids to go back, because it won't end well. Our Covid numbers have been climbing, and that's tied to July 4th.

The one thing that raised my hackles was one of the parents I work with. She's a piece of work as it is, but she posted on our work Teams chat about the remote learning... funnily enough, about a day after everyone else knew about it. It was all, "Oh noes! How will we parents cope!". Now, bear in mind that our work is 90% working from home. The only people who are supposed to be there are myself and our receptionist, alternating days so we can receive mail, deliveries etc. The rest are on an alternating weekly schedule, but they don't have to be there. We also have no guests - no clients, no vendors, no contractors.

This same parent has brought her kid (I think he's 8 or so) to several volunteer events, and every time she leaves the kid with someone else while she goes off to have fun. So I immediately knew what she was going to try to do - bring the kid in with her, then leave him at the office while disappearing off for a meeting. So I posted immediately after her "No kiddos in the office please!". I followed up with a message to my boss and the CEO, stating that this was not going to happen. I still know she's going to try it tho.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:49 am 

Funny, I was coming here to post something similar. I'm in Ontario. I'm seeing a ton of angst among parents and teachers, and while I'm grateful that I don't have a kid, I recognize that what happens in this regard impacts us all. I don't know how the return to school is going to work out but I imagine by the Fall flu season we'll all be back to March-level lock-down anyway, including online learning.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:27 am 

I must have a different caliber of parents in my social media feed, they're all pretty much ready to wrap their kids in a hazmat suit & bubble wrap and kick them out of their moving vehicles if it means getting them out of the house. :lol: I'm in BC, Canada though where (so far) we've been pretty lucky RE numbers and deaths. They should have qualification tests for parents like they do mortgages; if the interest rate goes up to 4%, will you be able to afford your mortgage? > If there's a world event and you need to be responsible for your kid 24/7, would you be able to do it?