The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:55 am 

I did watch one "Christmas" film a few weeks ago - Black Christmas. It's a '70s horror film that was on Amazon Prime. Other than Christmas Vacation, I don't really care for the Hallmark/Lifetime/schmaltzy Christmas films. I just can't get into them, mostly because - and I've mentioned this before - it's always fake winter. Leaves on trees, fake snow, people bundled up in what looks to be summertime. It bothers me to no end, the artifice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:38 pm 

@LaT - I've seen Rare Exports! We have a film society in Cincy and they get stuff like that in, and then show them in different venues around town. I saw it in an old auditorium with wrought iron seats from about 1910. That alone was worth it.

I loved that movie until the ending. Didn't care for the ending. At all. But 90% of the movie is fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

My favorite Christmas movie is still Die Hard. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:38 am 

CFinNY - I've also seen Black Christmas - another nice little 1970's mystery/thriller. If I remember correctly (and I may not be), Margot Kidder is in that.

One of my favorite Christmas movies is Christmas Evil, around 1980, kinda/sorta a slasher movie, but with a good story, and even though it's low-budget, it's well-acted by the lead (a very recognizable character actor), and even throws in a warm and fuzzy Spielberg-style ending. Unusual for a horror film.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:09 pm 

Margot Kidder was indeed in the original Black Christmas. I say "original" because of course they're making a sequel, as Hollywood is out of ideas. My coworker, who loves horror films, mentioned it. I thought he was talking about the original, which had been on Amazon Prime. He was like, "How'd you see it already? I just saw the commercial on TV. It's not out yet." Quick trip to Google-town, and, yep, they've remade it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:07 pm 

^^^ That's also got Kier Dullea (from 2001: A Space Odyssey) and Olivia Hussey (from Romeo And Juliet). Hers were the first celebrity boobs I ever saw on screen (in Romeo And Juliet), so she has a special place in my heart. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm 

'The Witcher' starts on 20 December, I know this because Mr LaT has just sent me a saucy still from the programme with a naked Henry Cavell languishing in the bath :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:36 pm 

^^^ Bad Mr. LaT! He's supposed to photoshop his head onto that!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 pm 

^Netflix knew exactly what they were doing with that trailer (that scene is in there as well). Several of my coworkers have mentioned wanting to see it, and I know they're not sci-fi fans. I swear, I think my junior actuary is going to take 20 December off just to stay home and binge it. Poor guy also got confused when another coworker told him that I once mentioned my husband looks like Henry Cavill. I think I disappointed him when I said that, no, my husband looks like Henry Rollins :lol:

I can't verify this, but I'm guessing The Mandalorian is a good show. There was a - I am not kidding either - two-plus hour discussion about Yoda today at work because of that show. I don't have Disney+, and my husband is on a Star Wars strike after the last Star Wars films, save for Rogue One, all "sucked". It sounds like I'd like the show, but he's not going to be on board with getting Disney+ just for one show.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:04 pm 

It's sappier than a whole grove of maple trees in March, but I've been watching Heartland. It's not really my style of show, but it's about a horse ranch and I love watching shows with horses. Someone did a good job training the actors to ride. I can't help but critique actors' riding in films and TV shows. I positively cringed every time Jonathan Rhys Meyers got on a horse in The Tudors. He alternately yanked on the reins like he was trying to start a lawn mower, or looked like he was conducting the New York Philharmonic. Those poor horses' mouths.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next