The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:42 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 20 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:47 pm 

I just binged 8 seasons of Suits in about as many days.... ok, maybe a couple more days....
I wish they had stopped at 6. Season 9 (final) starts up in 8 days

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:56 pm 

We finished "Derek" - the last regular episode (not the hour-long special) was a real killer, just full of boo-hoo moments. Whaddya know...Ricky Gervais can act.

We also finished "Penny Dreadful." That last series, except for the last couple of episodes, felt really like a lot of filler and like they were trying to stretch it out to make a full series. The last episode was very good. Sad, but positive. I like that.

We've now started "Jessica Jones," because Krysten Ritter is so weirdly, otherworldly beautiful, how can we not watch it? Two episodes in, and I love it, but the wife was nonplussed until her not-so-secret-crush David Tennant showed up. It's a fair trade for me to be mesmerized by KR. I did hear she's having a baby now (IRL), so I'll just have to pretend we're together in an alternate universe where babies don't exist.

We've also started "The IT Crowd," mainly because I like Katherine What's-Her-Face's voice. She's got a little croaking frog voice at times that's cute.

Lastly, we just started Scottish sketch comedy show "Burniston" (I think that's it) - definitely one for the subtitles, because they're Glaswegians (I prefer Glasgoers myself, but nobody asked me. Well, maybe they did, but I couldn't understand a fucking word, because they're Glasgoers :) ). The first episode had two good sketches ("Cat Memories" should go down in sketch comedy history), but the second episode was only so-so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:43 am 

I started watching penny dreadful because Billie Piper. Couldn't get into it very STL. That or peaky blinders

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:52 am 

^^^ Peaky Blinders is on my list, but not sure when we'll start it.

I'll also say that I don't get what all the fuss is about Black Mirror. I think we've watched five or six episodes, and it's pretty boring and really quite dire - I think they attempted to go for a thinking person's Twilight Zone and have sacrificed any kind of action for plodding pacing and overwrought dialogue.

I don't even know if we'll finish it, and that's saying something for us. I hate starting something and not finishing it, but BM is absolutely abysmal. Inside No. 9 is so, so much better, much more clever in the writing, and just as many familiar "stars."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:26 pm 

Just finished series 3 of Stranger Things. I enjoyed it, even though our heroes are bunch of kids, a bit more action and humour than previous series. But monsters and eldritch powers are very much my cuppa tea.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:26 pm 

^^^ That's also on our list, but I'm always wary of YA shows because, well, the heroes are kids, I generally end up rooting for the baddie, and when the kids prevail, I'm a bit cheesed off. Little fuckers. :x

I don't know why, because I actually think it's separate from my CFness, but I *hate* seeing kids/teens in shows where they're in adult situations, and by that I don't necessarily mean sex drugs and rock and roll, but more like seeing them with no real adult supervision, facing serious issues, and then getting together with their stupid tweener friends and fixing everything themselves.

If I went to school when I was 14 and discovered my teachers were vampires or aliens, I'm not going to say, "Ok...Tammy, Steve, it looks like we've got alien vampires for teachers now. What's our next step? We, and only we, us kids with just bikes and smartphones, will have to fix this!"

No, I'm going to run screaming to the cops and my parents, "THEY'RE GODDAMN ALIEN VAMPIRES! MS. BURTON JUST ATE A DOG! I SAW HER! I HAVE PICS! HEEEELLLPPPP!"

That would be after shitting my pants six different ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Stranger Things takes place in the 80s, so no smartphones. But the kids (especially in the later seasons) don't do it all themselves. I thoroughly enjoyed season 3.

The most recent episode of Pose, which aired last week, was gut-wrenching but very well executed. If it's not nominated for an Emmy, it will be a travesty. The latest Episode of Handmaid's Tale was like, damn I knew this show was dark but y'all have outdone yourselves. Only two episodes left in the season so I'm interested to see where they go.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:08 am 

^^^ Since it's set in the '80's, I'll restate as "...bikes, and their Apple //e, modem, and dot-matrix printer..." :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:54 pm 

I'm in the middle of binging Bunheads, and even though it was a few years ago I'm still mad it only got one season.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:17 am 

Kids on their bikes with their Realistic TRC 219 walkie talkies! That work much better now than they ever did in the 80s...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 20 Next