The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:16 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Baking?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:06 am 

The taralli are made with a yeast dough that almost doesn't rise at all. It's got chopped almonds, lard, lots of salt and a crazy ton of ground black pepper. Then they're baked for about 1/2 an hour on quite high temperature, then dried out some more in the oven. To be nibbled on with a glass of prosecco -- absolutely to die for. So moreish.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:17 am 

Have you got a recipe for those JR, or a link to one? I've seen these in the shops and they always look really unappetising, but yours look fab!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:15 am 

Someone brought me these from Naples, and I've been looking at replicating them for a while. I hunted around a bit, and then combined a couple of recipes, and I think it's not too far off how they should be... More or less this:

Toast about 85 grams of whole almonds (in the oven, or I use a dry frying pan on medium heat) just until they smell nice and start to colour and ping a bit. Save twelve almonds, and chop the rest coarsely, not into a powder.

Into a food processor, put 250 gr bread flour, 1/2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp coarsely-ground black pepper, and 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast. Whizz until blended.

Add 100 gr of cold lard, cut into cubes (note: I used the ordinary supermarket stuff, but apparently "good" lard would make a difference). Pulse until it's a fine meal, as though you were making pie dough. With the food processor running, drizzle in 90 ml of water until the dough forms.

Turn onto the work surface and knead in the chopped almonds, continue for four or five minutes until you have an even dough. Form into a ball, put into a bowl and cover with clingfilm. Leave it for an hour or two, but it won't rise much.

Line a large baking sheet with non-stick parchment.
Cut each of your 12 remaining almonds in half.

Turn the dough out and knead it through. Divide into 24 equal pieces. Work each piece and then form it into a rope about 8 inches long. For each tarallo, pinch two of these together at one end and then twist together in a helix, form into a ring and pinch the other end closed. Lay each one on the parchment-covered baking sheet. Stick a couple of almond halves into each ring, pressing in well but leaving to show.

Cover with a cloth and leave another hour or two. They still wqn't rise much, and you will wonder why you bothered.

Heat oven to about 200C (400F). Put them in the oven, and turn it down to about 190C (375F). Bake about 35 minutes until they are a light brown colour. Remove from oven and let them cool. Then put them back in the oven at about 130C for another 10 or 15 minutes to dry out some more -- the aim is for a crunchy texture,sort of like breadsticks. Cool on a wire rack.

Try not to eat them all at once.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:25 am 

Thanks JR! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 pm 

On Friday night I made coconut crisp cookies for a friend’s baby shower. Butter (I used vegan butter because there was one guest with a dairy allergy), brown sugar, white sugar, an egg, flour, baking powder, baking soda, shredded coconut, and the secret ingredient, cornflakes. They came out delicious as usual, and I got a ton of compliments on them at the shower!

I also bought a red velvet cake for the shower from the amazing French bakery near me. It was really good, but there was way too much so a bunch of people (myself included) ended up bringing home leftovers. I think I could use some right now, actually...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:58 pm 

Aberdeen butteries, also known as rowries or morning cookies. Essentially a Scottish croissant without faffing around with the shape. And more lard. My arteries clogged just reading the recipe. But they are actually quite yummy.
Attachment:
AB.jpg
AB.jpg [ 137.44 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Those look like what we call biscuits on this side of the pond.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:14 am 

They do look similar, don't they? But this is a yeast dough.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:16 am 

A peach and black raspberry pie.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:18 am 

A couple of weeks ago I made a coffee-and-walnut cake, because someone at a gathering I was going to once said it was their favourite, and I thought I'd try it. I did it as a tray-bake, and topped it with honey mascarpone frosting. I didn't think I'd like it -- I don't generally like things coffee-flavoured, and walnuts are a bit meh. But it was fabulous! Manages not to taste of either coffee or walnuts, just utterly yummy.

So yesterday I did the recipe as cupcakes, same frosting. Amazing!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next