The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:51 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Travels
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:05 am 

Well, flights opened for our May 2020 Norway cruise/London break holiday.

Wife last year, when we flew first class to England: "Well, I hope you enjoyed that, because we're never doing that again...too expensive!"

Wife this year, looking at flights into London: "You know, for first class flights and the four-night hotel, this isn't *that* expensive..."

:lol:

Even odds she finds a way to book at least the transatlantic portion first class.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:07 pm 

Well, I was close, but no cigar. She ended up booking the transatlantic portion as Premium Select, which is a new class Delta is rolling out, between Comfort Class (economy plus) and First Class.

We both had to give a little. She wanted first class, which was the same price as a new reasonably-priced car, and I was unwilling to agree to that. She said she'd be willing to go with the Premium Select (like it was some kind of sacrifice), but I'd have to fly through Atlanta (a place I swore I'd never fly through again).

Near as I can tell, Premium Select is all the service of First Class (same menu, real plates) without the seat that folds back into a bed.

We're also booked into the Tower Hotel in London, post-cruise, right on the Thames, right by Tower Bridge and The Tower Of London.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:36 am 
Site Admin

I am Pinterest-ing Norway things like madright now. One of the movies that I saw at the motorcycle film fest in January was two guys who rode the length of Norway, and it looked amazing. One of our consultants at work is there for three weeks right now - I might have to take him for lunch when he comes back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 pm 

Husband randomly mentioned to me a couple weeks ago that he wanted to go to Niagara-on-the-Lake for his birthday this year. He’s been hinting at wanting to see the falls in winter for a while now, so I guess he got tired of dropping hints and wanted me to just take him already! Not sure how I ended up being the one who plans most of our vacations...

Anyway, I’ve booked us into a really nice-looking bed and breakfast that’s close to town, so we should be able to walk to dinner at least one night. It’s a historic old house, with a fireplace in the room and a hot tub out back. Looks really nice, and the reviews are good - we’ve never stayed at this one before. All the others in the area that I’ve stayed at are either closed (owners decided to retire) or under new owners.

Just accommodations booked so far - I’ll probably book us a wine tour as well, and leave lots of time for lounging around and relaxing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:30 am 

^^^ That sounds like a good winter break. I'd also like to see the falls in the winter at some point. I like traveling during the colder months, not as many people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:50 am 

^^I’ve been to Niagara in the winter twice before with friends, and it’s lovely. Pretty much everything is still open, but it’s much quieter. In summer, it can get pretty busy and it feels very touristy. In winter, you can go to the wineries and there will be only a few people there...you can take your time and chat with the person serving you, etc. One time I was there with my best friend...we did a tour of one winery and we were the only ones there, so we got a private tour which was awesome!

The falls themselves are also beautiful in winter. The Canadian side (horseshoe falls) doesn’t freeze so it looks pretty much the same, but the American side does partially freeze and it looks so pretty.

Another nice bonus of travelling in winter: a lot of stuff is cheaper during the off-season. The bed and breakfast I booked is much less in winter than summer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:07 pm 

That sounds lovely Herbaceous, you'll have to post some photos...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:18 am 

So when my mother was seriously ill last summer, on life-support, the whole shebang, I look at flying over and discover that as Canadian with dual nationality, I MUST travel to Canada on a Canadian passport. My last one expired in 2006. They would have given me special leave due to emergency, but fortunately my mother pulled through and is now just about back to normal.

But since it's her 90th birthday in July, I really need to go over then. So I download the Canadian passport application, get photos, get all my ID evidence, find a Canadian friend as guarantor, etc...And now it turns out there is another problem. Since I have lived in the UK -- since 1984 -- I have exclusively used my nickname, since I hate my real given name. For every purpose in this country, that is my legal name -- it's on all my ID, drivers license, credit caards, Phd certificate. A couple of years ago I had to go through a major spiel to get my EU passport renewed, at which time I also changed my legal name there to my nickname. I therefore have no current ID in any country with my original name on. In order to get my Canadian passport, I now have to apply to legally change my name there, and get a new birth certificate issued. This whole process is likely to take 5 months minimum. I hope I can still make it to the party in July.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:30 am 

That sucks Jessica. I received Chilean nationality in 2012 but had been putting off getting a Chilean passport since I can just use my ID card in South America, and passports here were only good for 5 years. They recently announced passports now will be valid for 10 years. I guess I should look into getting one in case I need to go to the US (for similar reasons, my parents aren't getting any younger). I'd need it to re-enter Chile from the US.

Here we don't have any huge plans. I lost my job in November. Buying the house took some financial sacrifice of course, and I only just started freelancing 20 hours a week. I can't really tell them I am not available so soon. The whole political situation means some places are not really good for visiting either. At least we were able to get a friend to petsit for a few days to be able to visit here: http://www.villabaviera.cl/ . It will be a nice little break.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:05 pm 

It’s taken me a while to get around to updating this thread, but husband and I really had a lovely time in Niagara for his birthday at the end of January.

Friday night, we left work, drove down, and got ourselves checked into our B&B, which was a really beautiful old historic house. The pub was only a 2 minute walk away, so we walked over and had a couple drinks while waiting for a table to open up. Got a table, and had a nice dinner while enjoying the live band. Afterwards, we just walked back to the B&B and relaxed.

We had a positively delicious breakfast the next morning, and then I’d booked us a wine tour. It actually got cancelled last-minute, but it turned out to be a good thing when the company gave us a free upgrade to the epic wine, beer, and food tour.

At the first winery, we sampled a several different wines, paired with a charcuterie board. The second stop was a microbrewery, where we sampled several different beers, paired with a yummy snack platter (tater tots, pretzels, some fancy mustards). At the next winery, we got a tour of the winery and the winemaking process before the tasting, which is always cool to see how different wineries make their wines. The next winery was the official lunch stop, so we got some really yummy pizzas to go with our tasting. At the final stop, we had butter tarts to go with our wine tasting! Yum!

Since we’d spent pretty much the entire day eating, when we got back to the B&B, we spent a long time chilling and digesting before going for a really late dinner.

The following day, we had another delicious breakfast before heading back out to our favourite winery from the day before to buy more bottles and sign up for their wine club. Husband wanted to see the falls in winter, so we did a drive-by (it wasn’t cold enough to have partially frozen so they looked the same as in summer), and then we went to a winery with a restaurant for another tasting and lunch before heading home.

Really lovely weekend. I really do recommend visiting Niagara in winter if you get the chance - it is really beautiful and there’s great ice wine to be had!

Attachments:
60F3DB14-C039-41A6-A855-CCE9A095516C.jpeg
60F3DB14-C039-41A6-A855-CCE9A095516C.jpeg [ 111.69 KiB | Viewed 1096 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next