The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 23 Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Finished work at 4, came home, made a nice cup of lemon and ginger tea and lolled about on the bed with a cat, and my new fave YouTube channel. I have to get up and go visit a friend for a while tonight, but I won't be late. I've been stinking sick pretty much since Boxing Day, and one more day of doing pretty much nothing tomorrow sounds pretty damn good after two busy work days.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:56 pm 

Left work at four, donated blood, and came home to a nice, quiet house. Only noise was the old lady cat wanting food. Enjoyed the quiet, ate some dinner, and am planning on playing Fallout and then a nice hot bath. NYE is crazy here, lemme tell ya.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:54 am 

Haha, Tempest, yeah, same here! It was just me and my husband. We had a barbecue at home, some drinks and were in bed by 12:30 AM. Even if we had wanted to do something, most events were canceled due to the protests here. Also, where we live these days, there don't seem to be many options for getting home late. We didn't really want to leave the dogs alone too much either. At least there were no fireworks to freak the pets out this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:33 am 

Sleep in, drawing, cooking, checking out new places in the local area, and hanging out with my new friends. No babysitter no problems!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:25 pm 

Quote:
At least there were no fireworks to freak the pets out this year.
My cat used to be jumpy and unhappy about fireworks. Nowadays I think she's so hard of hearing that they don't bother her at all. She sleeps right through them. Hell, I run the vacuum past her and she often sleeps through that. Or wakes up and looks vaguely irritated, but doesn't clear out of the room like she used to. I guess there's advantages to being old and nearly deaf?

Today I got some errands run. Grocery was a bit nuts. There's severe winter weather predicted for next week, so maybe people were freaking out and stocking up? Anyway, got outta there with my two canvas bags of goods, plus one big box of kitty litter. Felt a little smug as I saw people wrangling out carts piled to the tops, with kids clinging to the sides and/or darting around.

House is totally quiet...it usually is, unless I have music on or the spouse is watching Netflix...and the only sound is the cat's snores from under a blanket on the couch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:01 am 

Our Kate is like that with loud noises. Even the slightest loud noise would send her diving into her crate (not a good quality in a gun dog), but at 17+ years, she's lost a lot of her hearing, and now she'll gladly trot around with all kinds of noises going off.

I'll admit at the grocery store to feeling a bit smug doing my CF shopping. First, I don't have a stable of kids to wrangle. Second, I don't have to buy crates of Pop-Tarts and Lunchables for any kids; instead, I have nice things like pancetta and mixed olives and bottles of wine. Thirdly, I'm not racking up $600 in a single weekly trip.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:35 am 

I see that every time I pass a fambly at Sams Club. Our cart is veggies, fruit, coffee (I buy for work), paper goods. Theirs is lunchables, poptarts, shitty cheap fruit drink... and you know it will barely last the week.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:56 pm 

Got up, lazed around for a bit, then peeled myself up off the couch and had some breakfast, got dinner into the crockpot. Then I sat around for a bit and read my book.

Headed out to see some friends for a frost bike ride. Drove to the start with my bike (it was a bit far to ride), then did the easy, 10 km ride (with a midway stop for lunch) and chatted with some friends I haven’t seen in a while. Drove back home, put my bike away, and headed inside to watch NFL playoffs.

I’m currently curled up on the couch, wrapped in a blanket with a purring cat on my lap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:00 pm 

Had a brief text exchange about my spouse's social plans, discussed ramifications of some last-minute changes to those plans, and ultimately he decided to go with his original plans. He didn't do that because I "made" him or because I'd be stuck with childcare, but because he didn't like springing major overnight stuff on me at the last minute. He knows I'm flexible and will handle things fine, but doesn't want to abuse that part of my nature & he knows he's been very spur-of-the-moment about a lot stuff lately. As I said...I am generally easygoing about that but after a while I'm kind of done.

With kids in the picture, that conversation wouldn't have come CLOSE to going that way. I think his expansion of plans wouldn't have happened at all because he'd have known I'd have been stuck with kid duty. Or (dawg forbid) it would have become one of those parent fights about free time and kid-care that just fosters resentment on all sides. Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:02 pm 

Quote:
I see that every time I pass a fambly at Sams Club. Our cart is veggies, fruit, coffee (I buy for work), paper goods. Theirs is lunchables, poptarts, shitty cheap fruit drink... and you know it will barely last the week.
Yeah I hear ya. The spouse and I have a Costco membership (we get my allergy meds there and come out ahead on that alone; other savings are gravy), and when we go there I'm acutely aware that while our membership does indeed save us money in the long run, we are most definitely not their target demographic. A lot of the stuff is just not what we eat, and the things they do have are in quantities that are too large for the storage space in our cute lil condo. There are a few things that are definitely worth buying, but often we'll walk out with a bottle of store-brand Zyrtec, a jar of nuts, some cheese, some lettuce...and that's about it. Maybe six items, tops. We'll see people trundling by with two full carts of all sorts of stuff. I'll think about how many months or years it would take me to go through that much peanut butter or whatever they have.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 23 Next