The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 10:43 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36
 Post subject: Re: Daily Rant Part 1
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:10 am 

^^You can turn off those Amber Alerts in your phone settings. I did that on mine. I kept the severe weather alerts on. It's been very peaceful.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 am 

I have only owned a few phones (didn't go cellular until 2011, and I don't replace 'em often at all), but turning off amber alerts is one of the first things I do while adjusting the phone's settings to my liking. I think the only one I can't turn off is the presidential alerts.

Someone at work mentioned being awakened by an amber alert. I mentioned the option of turning them off, and there was awkward silence. One lady looked at me like I had three heads. I decided not to mention the fact that amber alerts don't really save lives. The cases where they "work" and the kid is found are cases where the abductor is a non-custodial family member and posed to risk to the child's life. https://www.researchgate.net/blog/post/ ... y-worth-it

People feel it's "worth it" to be awakened at four AM for custody dispute abductions. Their choice, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:28 am 

^^That's the problem - you can't here. There is no opt-out option, there is no option to keep just the severe weather alerts, there is no option to get rid of Amber Alerts. If you live in Ontario, you're getting an alert. There just aren't customization or opt-out options. They don't exist. I've tried.

The alerts will override silent/vibrate mode on some phones, they override "do not disturb" mode (which I used to turn on at night), they override "do not disturb while driving". The only way to not get an alert is to turn your phone all the way off - and even then, when you turn it back on, the phone starts screaming at you and you get the alert immediately!

Last night we both turned all phones off and let the cat be the alarm clock. It worked fine, she woke husband up for breakfast and he then woke me up.

I will be writing to the Alert Ready people to complain and ask them nicely to please fix the system. I don't even really mind getting Amber Alerts - getting them in the middle of the night is what I have a problem with. Realistically, NOBODY is getting out of bed to search for a missing kid at 2 am. Give us the option to opt-out of getting them at night, please.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am 

Oh man. What a nuisance. Yeah, I'd be writing to whatever authority is in charge of them, too. During the day I suppose there's some chance people might see the car associated with the missing kid, but anyone who's up at, say, 3 AM on a weeknight is likely at work on graveyard shift...and the overwhelming majority of everyone else is asleep!

I'd be leaving my phone in my office/computer room and getting an old-school alarm clock (cat isn't allowed in the bedroom, as she is even more annoying than an amber alert at night).

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 pm 

I totally understand wanting to spend time with family you only see every few years, but for Christs sake do we HAVE to wait until 1130 at freaking night to start considering leaving Manhattan for our hotel which is in Brooklyn?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:05 am 

So husband now has the flu thanks to the brat nephew that was coughing everywhere the other night at the in-laws house. We are about to leave for our holiday, so hopefully he'll be better in the next couple of days.

I almost got kicked in the face by a kid having an epic meltdown at the shops today. His dad decided to swing him over his shoulder as the kid was refusing to walk and the kid was kicking his legs in all directions, I happen to be standing behind them. Lucky I have good reflexes.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36