The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:26 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1143 144 145 146 147 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Awww, that's a shame because I love foxes. But yes, if it's after the sheep its life expectancy is likely short.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:08 am 

Well, after my two unpleasant experiences with Instacart, I switched to using Kroger's Pickup (formerly Clicklist) curbside service, and I have to say, after two orders, I'm suitably impressed. They've made good choices on my produce, and the special instructions I added (mainly just to test them) were followed to a T.

Suck it, Instacart!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

My new Nest chair arrived. it's wonderful.

It took the cat five minutes to use it as a scratching post. She might be getting a nice set of gel nails for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:55 am 

After a chirping smoke detector caused me to rip it off the ceiling and throw it nearly the length of the house, shattering it into a dozen pieces, I've done a little research and found that there are detectors with permanently-sealed 10-year batteries that never need changing.

That's what I'm switching to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:45 am 

This happened to me the other week, at about 23:30 . Two of the buggers decided to start wailing, one in the kitchen and the other in the living room...I had to get the ladders out and disconnect them. I have no idea why they went off, they're still 'in date'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:31 pm 

So why do smoke detectors warning bleeps never start at a convenient time of the day? It's usually the middle of the night, or 5 am, or when you are about to walk out the door for an important appointment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:24 am 

^^^ There's actually an answer to that. If it's not the battery, it's because smoke detectors are highly sensitive to power surges, and there are more power surges in the off hours.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:19 am 

Wouldn't that only be if they are mains-wired? All mine are battery-operated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
So why do smoke detectors warning bleeps never start at a convenient time of the day? It's usually the middle of the night, or 5 am, or when you are about to walk out the door for an important appointment.
Or cooking. I was always setting off the one in my hallway.

I set one off in a hotel once, because I had a long hot shower and didn't close the bathroom door all the way. Made a hell of a racket. The guy next door to me was yelling and pounding on the door, and here's me buck naked and dripping wet, frantically waving my towel around underneath it ... bloody thing1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:11 pm 

Our old house had one located about 10ft from the kitchen and the dang thing went off every time the oven went over 375F. DH ended up removing it, only replacing it when we sold the place. The current house is much better, but we still go through the hunt when one starts chirping. Why they can't blink red instead of green when they're getting old I don't know. Then I also discovered that the units expire and have to be replaced every 10 years...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1143 144 145 146 147 Next