The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:39 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1136 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1107 108 109 110 111114 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 pm 

Anxiety has really been acting up lately, it was particularly bad today. I’m up for a promotion at work, and the interview is on Monday. I think I would be a great fit for the position. Problem is, I know at least one of the other candidates, and she’s a very, very strong candidate, plus she’s friends with one of the higher-ups. I haven’t interviewed for a job in over a decade, so add all that up, I’m pretty damn stressed right now. Anxiety was pretty bad at work today (racing heart, tight feeling in chest, upset stomach...fun!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:27 am 

@ Herbaceous

Try taking some magnesium, a couple of years ago I started getting feelings of anxiety for no good reason (probably menopause related in my case). I tried some magnesium and it disappeared virtually overnight. I know going for an interview is stressful anyway, but it may help.

You could try this too...

http://baldwinlab.mcgill.ca/labmaterial ... s_BBC.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:25 am 

^Thanks LaT! I'll get some magnesium this weekend and give it a try. I think part of it is also that I've not been taking great care of myself lately - exercise and diet have been OK, but I've been neglecting hydration and sleep. I also haven't seen my therapist since October, I really need to book an appointment just to check-in.

I feel a bit better today. I did some stuff to prepare for the interview (dropped my suit at the dry cleaners this morning, contacted references to make sure I could use them, made an appointment at the spa so I'll look a little less like a hobo), and I think that helped. I also read a bit in one of my books on training the mind (for horseback riding, in this case) and applying that to the job situation. I think it helped a bit. I also went horseback riding last night, I felt better after.

I have the rest of this week and the weekend to continue to prepare! I am a perfect fit for this job - hopefully the interviewers will see that. They're all people I know and have working relationships with already.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:38 pm 

I started taking magnesium about three or four years ago, for insomnia. I could always fall asleep okay, but if I woke up and became fully awake, I would be up for three hours before I could get back to sleep. The magnesium supposedly regulates the heart rate. It worked amazingly. I used to be awake half the night at least two or three times a week. Now it happens maybe once every couple of months, if I am particularly stressed. I take a calcium-magnesium-Vit D pill (from Nature's Best), one a night before bed. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but it's great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

It works well for me too. If I forget to take it, I can definitely feel I don't sleep as deeply.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 pm 

Hmm... I might have to try that on Hubby, but he's stubborn about stuff like that. He's read a lot of stuff and thinks taking vitamins daily is unnecessary.. but I've found success with a Multi paired with B Complex, which seems to have help reduce my bad headaches. Plus I take Airborne daily and Zicam when I feel a cold coming... and guess which one of us has been home all week with a cold (Hint, not me)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:22 am 

When I looked into it, the thing about magnesium is that we should be getting enough from our diets, except that intensive agriculture has depleted the mineral in the soil to the extent that it isn't in our food at the same levels it should be, because it isn't something that is replenished in the fertilisers they use. So a supplement is really just getting you back to the normal level our bodies should be getting. It isn't mega-dosing -- I take one pill that gives 50% of the RDA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:10 am 

I started taking a daily multivitamin when I turned 50, for two reasons:

1. Just before I turned 50, there was a story in the news saying that a daily multivitamin was proven to be effective in addressing a few different common health issues - I don't remember what they were, just that it was effective.

2. My doctor noticed my vitamin D levels were down and wrote me a prescription for a vitamin D supplement, but when I looked at the label of the multivitamin, it had the exact same amount of vitamin D in it, plus all the other stuff, so I ditched the prescription and just went with the multivitamin.

@MPH - you might want to read up on Airborne...there've been studies done that show it's not all that effective, except as a placebo (though if it works as a placebo, it works, right?). However, those nasty-tasting zinc lozenges do get high marks. I use those when I feel a cold coming on, and they really do seem to work. I've never tried Airborne because I was reading up on the lozenges to see if they worked or not, and that's when I read about Airborne not working very well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:39 am 

I have tried Airborne, I cannot say if it was helpful. I also have low D3 and am taking a supplement. Carry On, the idea of taking a multi-vitamin may be better in the long run for me as well. I have recently started taking a turmeric shooter once a day for inflammation. I have seen some results. Also giving elderberry a try.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 pm 

I have never found that Airborne really did much to stop me from getting sick. I don't find that it really shortened the length of an illness either. I get loads of vitamin C from my diet, and I *do* think that has helped me cut sick time down to a day to maybe three for viruses, and maybe a week or two for infections. I had a nasty case of strep late last year, and I was over it in two weeks - no more coughing, etc. Some of my coworkers had it from Thanksgiving solid through New Year's. I know I consistently eat more fruits and veggies than most of my coworkers who seem to have lengthy illness do. so maybe that's it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1136 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1107 108 109 110 111114 Next