The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:49 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:09 pm 

I went to heat up some leftover extra -saucy pasta for dinner tonight, and as I was putting the containers into the microwave, one of them slipped out of my hand and the whole damn thing splattered all over the floor.

I was lucky in that I had another serving of leftovers in the fridge still so dinner wasn’t completely ruined, but I still had to stop and clean it all up, not to mention wasting all of that food!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:58 am 

That's when it is really useful to have a dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:14 am 

Nothing I love more than getting woken up at 6 am by a car alarm on my day off!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:31 pm 

My bottle of sweet vermouth is too tall to fit on the shelf in my liquor cabinet. How will I cope?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am 

Grocery shopping was pure hell this morning.

Started out ok. I use Kroger's Scan-Bag-Go app on my phone, scanning and bagging my groceries as I go. I usually pay through the phone as well, but I was getting booze today, which has to be cleared by an employee, so I have to complete my order on one of the kiosks.

Scan, bag...scan, bag...not many people today, so the app is pretty fast. Yay!

Then I got to the kiosk to scan in and transfer my order over, $180 mind, so it's a big shop, bags are full, and...system crashes.

No problem, it's done this before, I just have to wait for it to reboot, then go back into the app, scan the kiosk, transfer my order, and away we go.

Except when I go into the app, my big fat order is gone. That's never happened before. Hmmm...

Now I can either throw a tantrum, which I'm close to doing, leave my cart, which I can't really do, rescan everything and try again, which I don't really want to chance, or unbag everything and go through the line. FUCK!!!

It didn't help that I really had to poop and didn't want to do so in the store's restroom, which is a filthy mess on the best of days.

So, unbagged everything and off to the one register that's open. The person paying had a bazillion groceries, a bazillion paper coupons, and was paying in cash. With her coupons, every third one was either expired or not for the thing she actually bought, and she had to take about 30 seconds to decide if she wanted that item after all.

The people in front of me seemed to be just as slow, watching them unpack everything, and then I spied a woman going into another line, which had been open the whole damn time, but she didn't have her light on, so I didn't see her.

I boogied over there, just in time to see that woman arguing with the employee over...coupons for her damn pop. For the love of god!!!

All in all, it took me as long to check out as it did to shop!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:26 pm 

We are up at my parents' cabin (it's really a cabin, not some palatial second home) and yesterday we stopped in at a Stewart's for ice cream whilst in town getting supplies. Before I launch into the story, some pertinent info:

First, NYS has mandated masks. Second, Stewart's has chosen to support that mandate and require masks. Third, it was $.50 ice cream cone day, unbeknownst to us.

We stopped at a Stewart's to get some gas and milk, and we decided to get some ice cream whilst there, as they have good ice cream. There was a bit of a line, but it looked as if it was one big family. The store wasn't crowded, so we wore our masks, and stayed back from the group of about 6 people - mixed kids and adults. As we were waiting, this woman barges into the store sans mask. She walks around, and a store employee tells her that she has to mask up, or leave. The store employee wasn't being an ass. He literally said, "Ma'am, Stewart's has a mask policy. Please wear a mask to do your shopping" This lady loses it. I couldn't really follow her tirade, but it was Fox News' Greatest Hits. It was masks, then taking away guns (which I would totally support in her case), then One World Government under Bill Gates. This manager-type lady comes around the counter, and starts asking her to leave. Crazy lady is running away, like manager lady is chasing her, which she's not. Crazy lady is dodging around the frozen food cases like she's in a game of tag with players we can't see. The manager and a young male employee are now out from behind the counter, and they're looking like they don't know whether to try to herd her out the door, or call the police. The ice cream counter employee keeps on scooping ice cream, while the family is engrossed in the drama unfolding in the store.

There's a guy in line trying to buy some coffee, and then we're standing around waiting for the cone counter to clear. The Stewart's employees managed to herd her toward one of the doors, but she's still evading phantom pursuers. She finally looks like she's going to head out the door furthest from the cone counter, but she turns and runs around this hand sanitizer and COVID-19 poster display, right into us. I'm tall, and of a more athletic build, and my husband is "a big Henry Rollins-looking mofo", as one of my coworkers put it. He's a bit over 6'4", and has lifted weight for over 30 years now, so he can look intimidating, especially with a mask because you can't see him smiling. We were just standing there, both wearing "Sound of Music" masks my mom made from some old floral drapery fabric, but crazy lady looked like she was having a stroke. She starts reeling backwards, even though no physical contact was made, and saying "Stay away from me!" Then she ran out the door. Everyone in the store is looking around like, "WTF?", and the male employee who was helping the manager lady said, "Was she driving? Tell me she's not in a car." The family had paid for and eaten most of their ice cream while standing there watching the whole thing. After we got our ice cream, my husband said he wondered if we were going to wind up in the background of the next "Karen" viral video.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:40 am 

^^^ The nut jobs are definitely coming out. I had a somewhat similar, though much more toned down, experience yesterday.

About 7:30AM, I had to stop in at Walmart to pick up something I can't get anywhere else in town. Walmart, to their credit, is following the guidelines put out by the state, and have separated entrances and exits, social distancing markers, and one-way lanes. Where each entrance/exit used to be two sets of big sliding glass doors that emptied into one sort of lobby area (where the shopping carts are), now they have a barrier down the middle, and one side is one-way coming in, and the other side is one-way going out. They also have barriers set up outside to direct the flow to the dedicated entrance, and a person out there to direct traffic.

Well, ol' Cletus decided it was still like the good ol' days and tried to go in through the out door, and the employee working out there stopped him, and that's when he unloaded with his own rendition of Fox News' Greatest Hits.

Nothing like watching a 300-lb, 6' 5" man berate a middle-aged grandma type.

She stood her ground, though (frankly, she seemed to ignore him more than anything else), while a couple of us kind of hung around, in case it turned into a 911 situation, and wouldn't you know, once he saw he wasn't going to have a grand argument with Aunt Bea about the Constitution and "my God-given freedoms," he mumbled, "I can't believe this shit," a few times...and walked the extra 30 feet and went in the proper door.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am 
Site Admin

^^^ I hate people at the best of times, but this pandemic has really bought out the "rules don't apply to me" types.

I was waiting in the returns line at Ikea a couple of weeks back, and there was a guy who looked like he was of Middle Eastern descent in front of me. The returns line at Ikea never moves fast at the best of times, much less when distancing is concerned. Because we all had to stand outside in the sun to queue, it was hot, and tiring. So we finally get inside, there's three counters, three of us lined up waiting our turns.

The guy in front of Mr Middle East needed some screws for a piece. That's cool, the returns section is also spare parts. So he's having a conversation with the associate, and Mr Middle East starts listening in. And then he starts saying loudly that this is the returns line, not the spare screws line, and the guy should go to Home Depot. (TBH, Home Depot would have been a lot faster, but whatever). Everyone ignores him. So he starts shouting about it. Everyone still ignores him. He turns to me, as I'm the closest person to him, and says "Why is this guy even in here? This is the returns line".

I just eyeball him and say "This is also the spares counter. And he's waited in line just as long as you".

He got the hint then that nobody was impressed with his posturing, and started sighing and eyerolling like a five year old, but at least he STFU.

As the other guy was leaving, he walks right past Mr MIddle East and says "Have a nice day, buddy". I wanted to high five him. Someone has class, at least.

Don't get me started on people who look at the one way arrows in the stores and then go the wrong way up the aisle anyway. Or the people who see the "don't sit" signs on the restaurant table and sit there regardless. The people who see the "park closed" sign and climb the gate. Or the people who argue with the people on the door about wearing masks. It's their premises and they have workers to protect. If you don't like the rules, then you get to go somewhere else. Just selfish douchebags. This pandemic needs more teeth than it has, and it needs to take out some of these overly entitled fuckers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:42 am 
Site Admin

It's looking more and more likely that nobody will be going anywhere travel wise for a while. So I'm looking around at where to take a couple of weeks off in Sept and go camping.

The camping situation here is bonkers. People who would normally travel over school holidays are also stuck at home, and every second campsite is closed, or has closed sites to promote distancing. So trying to find a campsite anywhere for weekend getaways is impossible right now.

I was thinking of heading to Northern Alberta or Northern BC, but a lot of the communities up there have implemented a closed town policy. And that's fair enough. They have limited medical access and the last thing they need is casual tourists dragging covid into town. Mainstream BC will be packed, and most of their public camp sites are reserved for BC residents only. Travel to the US is off the table for probably the rest of the year - even if you can, doesn't mean you should, the way things are going there right now. So where to go?

Looking at Northern Saskatchewan right now - I've heard that it's actually really pretty up there if you can deal with the bugs, and it's far enough off the beaten path to be a possibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:53 pm 

I'm thinking the same thing about camping. Some friends and I were looking at doing some camping and/or canoeing this summer, but honestly it's probably too late to get camp sites and/or permits (if we go backcountry) because we didn't plan in advance. That's our fault...these things need planning & I usually plan months and months in advance. Then there's the fact that concerts, sporting events, etc are off the table so there will be even more people looking for something to do...plus it's just an outdoorsy part of the country. We may have to make alternate plans, and start planning for either the fall or next summer. All three friends don't have kids, so they're somewhat flexible as long as we can work around classes and jobs.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81 Next