The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:05 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous 156 57 58 59 60
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:02 am 

^^^ Excellent! That must look awesome!

My FWP - I forgot I purged the lights last year, so I don't have any lights to put outside on the porch columns. I had to settle for these crappy mismatched snowflake lights, and I don't even have enough to do those properly, so our front porch looks a sad, miserable Christmas tragedy this year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 am 

So last summer my mother was very ill and I thought I would need to travel back to Canada. Which is when I discovered that a Canadian citizen now MUST enter Canada on a Canadian passport. My last Canadian passport expired about 15 years ago, because I also have Austrian citizenship, and that has been a much more useful EU passport for living in the UK. There is special arrangements that can be made if you need to travel urgently, but fortunately she recovered, and I didn't end up going. But I decided I ought to get a new Canadian passport anyway, since I plan on visiting there next summer for my mother's 90th birthday.

Now it turns out I may not be able to get my Canadian passport, because the first name I use, and which is legally my name in both the UK and Austria, is not the same as on my Canadian birth certificate. I have absolutely no current ID documents in my original first name. I have to apply for a new birth certificate in my name, but that is going to take at least four months, if I can get it at all. By then, I probably won't be able to get a flight in time any more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:35 pm 

Bobbly bed sheets :evil:

I bought a cheap, dark red sheet to go with my Xmas bedding, it's only been on the bed a couple of nights and has gone so bobbly it's like sleeping on a bed of nails, I've taken myself off to the spare room until I can change it in the morning!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:07 am 

AcornTV (British programming) lumps all the Christmas episodes of their various programs into one easy "Christmas Collection."

The problem - they don't reliably tell you what program it's from, so when you're looking through the collection, there's no way to tell if it's a series you've already eliminated or otherwise have no interest in. The only option is to start it, spend up to several minutes waiting for opening credits (which sometimes never appear), then continue watching or stopping (and I *hate* stopping anything once I've started it, even if it's something I don't like), eventually littering up your Recently Watched history with stuff I'm have no interest in (and there's no easy way to clear that history).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Ugh. I was all set to go on a trip through Nepal and Tibet next year, until I got the pricing yesterday. The tour organizer apologized for the cost, saying it was much higher than he'd anticipated ... and the fact that the CAD is in the toilet hasn't helped at all. The 16 day trip, if I rented a bike and rode, would be almost $9,000 CAD.

I might still go, but ride in the support jeep instead (no bike halves the cost).

I'd love to ride, but I have a new condo to furnish, a new car to buy as mine is starting to cost money, and a new motorcycle that I might have put a deposit down on that will be delivered in the summer. I can't do everything :-(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:53 am 

@Alicorn

Hmm that's a lot of cash, but 4500 CAD without the bike doesn't seem at all bad for that kind of 'once in a lifetime' trip...it is a shame about the bike though.
Is there anything to be done about sharing? You'll still have the full insurance cost but only half the cost of the rental (and half the time riding, but still some riding is better than none).

I'd do it anyway, there's no pockets in a shroud........ :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

The tour leader has offered to let me ride on a couple of afternoons, if I take the jeep route. That'd be cool. I wouldn't say no.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:04 pm 

Perfect, sound like a good compromise! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:27 pm 

If you have the money, @Alicorn, go! You won't miss the cash in 10 years, but if you don't go, you'll definitely still be talking about "I coulda shoulda..."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:19 am 

It's not my FWP, but it's a doozy - some lady put a Ring security camera in her child's bedroom. Of course the camera was hacked, and now the mom is complaining that they don't feel safe in their home. Why put a security camera *inside your child's bedroom*?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous 156 57 58 59 60