The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:46 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 5057 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

I have wildflowers in a patch of garden in the front of the house. I love seeing all the bees and butterflies in there in the summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 pm 

We had a great time in Canada, returning to Vegas at 105 with storms. It rained every day except yesterday, which we spent in Calgary itself - not at the Stampede, as it was a bit much, so we went to the zoo on the train.

There were tons of people everywhere; we managed to avoid most of them except at Lake Louise, where we had to be bussed in with the masses. It was painful being around so many people, but we were able to get away where we could. Did some great hikes, had some wonderful food (DH did a great job reserving places on Open Table, so we never had to wait).

Would love to go back sometime. Maybe not at the height of summer, but then it would be colder and wetter, and the Glacier Parkway might be closed. Still plenty of snow on the high peaks - even heard our first avalanche.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who mentioned the pin-and-chip card... it was a huge help. I will be asking AMEX to produce one...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:42 am 

My sister had a natural prairie area in her front yard that sadly has ven taken over by goldenrod. I know she lost several monarchs one year and wasn't eager to do so again.
I like scatter gardening myself. Much less work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:38 am 

I have the beginnings of a beech hedge (some hornbeam in there too) down one side of my property and it was really shaping up this year. The plants about 2 years old and about 3 ft tall, I noticed the other day that some of them have just died, about 6 of them, all along the same stretch. They were doing well, covered in leaves and then suddenly (almost overnight) the leaves have gone brown. I notice as well some of the others are yellowing......I have no idea what's wrong, I can't see anything obvious at all :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:21 am 

I have goldenrod all over my yard. The birds and bugs love it. The butterflies are on it since it's a great late summer nectar source, and the goldfinches love the seeds. Last night I noticed fireflies everywhere we have goldenrod. It's pretty aggressive about spreading, but it's so pretty and such a valuable native plant that I put up with having to keep it from taking over the yard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:23 am 

We planted some milkweed along our driveway. It's not native, but it was visually interesting and could stand the heat of summer. What we didn't expect was that the Tarantula Hawks loved the flowers (think a 2-3" wasp with an attitude problem). They would swarm around making it impossible to be out front. We had to pull them eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 pm 

So my 89-year old mother is seriously ill in hospital with pancreatitis and all sorts of other shit. I'm confronting my perspectives on parents/distance/mortality/sentimentality, etc., and thinking it's probably a good idea to at least think about flying over. My sister, who lives with my mother, is there and doing everything, and we are all calm and hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

My FWP? I have dual nationality, and have had an EU passport for a long time -- living in the UK, this generally is more useful. My last Canadian passport expired in 2006. I just discovered that anyone with a dual nationality MUST travel to Canada on a Canadian passport. So no quick trip back for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm 

So sorry to hear about your mum JR, very best wishes for her speedy recovery and no need for a mad scramble to renew the passport!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:42 pm 

Thanks, LaT. I'm actually keener to go over if she DOES pull through. My sister said today she is not going to have a funeral (which I agree with), just a private cremation. Funerals are tawdry.

The complication on the passport is that the first name I use, and which is on my EU passport (legally changed in Austria) and my UK driving license and everything else, is not the same as my first name on my birth certificate or last Canadian passport, so I am trying to find out how to proceed on that anyway.

This whole issue is also something to deal with for my leave to remain here, post-Brexit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for reminding me that I really need to get on renewing my New Zealand passport. I always used it to travel home with, because it was easier, but I'm also looking hard at a motorcycle trip in Tibet next year. China and Canada had a playground fight over Huawei and aren't on the best of terms right now, and the last thing I need on a trip like that is complications with my Canadian passport. Or the complications if some US border guard decides to get bent about why I went to Tibet, next time I go through the US.

Having two passports is bloody useful sometimes.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 5057 Next