The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:40 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous 139 40 41 42 4349 Next
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:19 pm 

Have a great trip, CO!!

I'm having that other travel conundrum... packing! We're heading to Flagstaff AZ on Friday for the weekend, to meet up with friends and go to the Overland Bound Expo. It's only 4 hours by car, but it's at a higher elevation than Vegas. Couple that with a big cold front coming through tomorrow and we're going from the mid-80s today to a high of around 62 on Saturday. I'm trying not to take too much but between needing layers and vascillating between dressing for comfort and not looking a complete mess, I'm struggling to make choices....

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Ooh! That expo looks like fun. I'll have to go when I get my little camper van up and running.

I see they have adventure motorcycling as well, but I have to say that my experiences with groups like Horizons Unlimited, and some of the weapons grade wankers on huge-ass BMW bikes, has really put me off "ADV" biking.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:54 am 

I'm trying to cut back on the amount of waste I produce (especially plastic waste), and it's kind of a pain in the butt. My biggest source of waste right now is non-recyclable food packaging waste. I'm trying to cut down on it by buying a bunch of stuff in bulk. Bulk Barn (national chain of bulk stores) recently started allowing people to bring their own containers to fill. You take your empty container to the cash, they weigh it and write down the weight, you go fill up the container, and then they subtract the weight of the container when you pay. Simples. It works great for dry goods like oats, flour, sugar, etc.

But when it comes to stuff like soaps, cleaning products, and the like - Bulk Barn doesn't carry them. I'm currently low on hand soap, dishwasher tabs, and laundry detergent. I'm hoping to find a place that I can bring my own containers for these. I found one, but it's in the (very large) next city over, and I hate travelling to next city over. The transit sucks, the traffic sucks. I've tried getting into next city over via car, bus, train, subway, and various combinations of these, and travel times are almost always over an hour. I really don't want to take half a day out of my life to buy some soap.

Luckily, I have a friend who lives not too far from the soap place, and I can give her my containers to fill next time we see each other. I wish someone would open up a good zero-waste shop in my city. Everyone assumes that people from my city are super happy to just head to the next city over all the time, but that's not the case for many of us. I actively avoid going there.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 am 

^^^ My FWP is related, but in the opposite direction.

At home, we don't have to sort our recyclables. The trash collection company sorts it after they pick it up, and that suits me just fine.

Here at the holiday house, the owner has all these recycling rules, and I'll be damned if I can follow them to the letter. Wash these, caps off, blue bin. Wash these other ones, replace the caps, also blue bin. Smash these other things...also blue bin. Glass in the red bin, but not glass with this marking on it, only that marking. Wash this, flatten that, sort those...I can't keep it straight.

I'm doing my best, but I'm sick of pulling out the two-page recycling guide to try and figure out what to do with my styrofoam bacon pack.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 am 
Site Admin

So I want to replace the counter top in my half bath. I go to shut the water off at the shutoff valves under the sink, they keep turning. That's not supposed to happen. I manage to get them shut off, but they're going to have to be replaced. To do that. I am going to have to turn the water off at the main valve. I know that the main valve doesn't work, because about a year ago the city tried to replace the water meter when it was leaking, and couldn't. I've been catching the leak in a bucket since then because spending $250 to have the main valve replaced hasn't been high on the priority list. Now with the house going up for sale it's going to have to be.

I schedule a plumber to come around and change out the valve. The city turns up to shut the water off at the connection, and oops, the connection has rusted out and broken and doesn't work. So now, they have to dig up my fucking driveway to replace it. And guess who gets to pay for the concrete repair? Yep, me, because the city doesn't cover collateral damage.

Fuck it. The driveway (and the garage floor) actually needs some patching done on it anyway, and I was going to do it myself, but I'm not good enough with concrete to patch a big repair like that. So I'll just borrow some more money on the mortgage, and pay someone to do the whole lot. Solves that problem, I guess.

The only upside of this whole clusterfuck is that because the water meter is leaking, the plumber told them that the leak is causing property damage (which I guess is true if you take the bucket away) and so the city has a priority repair on it. I can't renovate the main bath until it's fixed, and as a non priority it might take up to 3 months. So at least it should be fixed this week.

TL,DR: replacing two $12 shutoff valves, is going to cost me about 3 grand. Huzzah! I cannot wait to sell this place.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:12 pm 

Fecking hell Alicorn, what a nightmare! Houses, bloody money pits, you're so doing the right thing and getting rid.

If it weren't for the concern about being given notice to vacate then I'd rent, there's no point in me keeping a load of equity tied up in a house anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 pm 

Quote:

Here at the holiday house, the owner has all these recycling rules, and I'll be damned if I can follow them to the letter. Wash these, caps off, blue bin. Wash these other ones, replace the caps, also blue bin. Smash these other things...also blue bin. Glass in the red bin, but not glass with this marking on it, only that marking. Wash this, flatten that, sort those...I can't keep it straight.
It's likely not the owner with these rules - it's likely the recycling company (or the city, if they take care of the recycling) itself. I'm not that familiar with recycling in the UK, but recycling is generally dependent on the local infrastructure, and the local markets. Some places (like where I live) have the infrastructure necessary to separate out recycling, so it can all go in one bin. Other places don't have that, so they have to ask people to sort into different bins. Some places can accept black plastic, or Styrofoam, or plastic bags, or bottles with the caps on; some can't. This, of course, all leads to massive amounts of confusion among the general public about what can and cannot be recycled. Hell, even I don't know whether some items are recyclable, and I've been working in the environmental field for over 10 years!

This is one reason why the whole recycling issue drives me batty. I get so many people coming to me like, "[My institution] doesn't recycle enough! You should recycle more!" and after I've explained the whole thing to them, they end up just as frustrated as I am. Add into that the whole contamination issue (people throwing stuff in the wrong bin, items that are dirty/greasy getting put into recycling, clear bioplastics that look like regular plastic but are marketed as "compostable" but aren't really...) and I'm ready to throw my hands up in defeat.

Hence, trying to cut back on packaging in general. I'm far from perfect, but I buy most of my dry goods from Bulk Barn and just bring my own containers to fill.

BTW, only around 11% of plastics actually get recycled. Recycling is far from the panacea that a lot of people think it is.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
If it weren't for the concern about being given notice to vacate then I'd rent, there's no point in me keeping a load of equity tied up in a house anyway.
That's where the condo's going to be good. I know that the condo fees will go up over time, but at least they'll be low for quite a while as it's brand new and won't need repairs for a bit. And by that time I 'd actually like to be living in a van down by the river anyway!

The repair crew arrived already and are jackhammering outside. I don't want to go and look, but I guess I'll have to ...

Edit : welp, not as bad as I feared from all the noise. They've cut out a square about 1ftx1ft in the driveway, but it's tidy, and should be easy enough for someone to patch. Could have been worse, I guess ...

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:15 pm 

Husband’s allergies have been bothering him for a few days now. He took some Sinutab earlier today, got very drowsy, and left work early to come home and sleep. Now he’s all pissy for some unknown reason.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:20 pm 

The Expo was a blast... Lots of interesting stuff to see, had a great time catching up with our friends, and I got to drive a Range Rover over their mini-offroad course with an instructor. Only downside was that I woke with a screaming migraine on Sunday morning, thanks to the weather. I slept most of the drive home (DH was a trooper), except for a break outside Kingman when DH needed a potty break. I decided to drink some lukewarm tea and try to eat something, then proceeded to yack up in the parking lot... :P

Today's fun: Discovered a large swarm of bees in the top of a tree in the back yard. We're ignoring them for now, hoping they move on. You can't tell if they're Africanized until they're dead, so we're staying well away. What is funny though is watching the birds picking on them - House finches, Verdins and hummingbirds - and raising a ruckus.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous 139 40 41 42 4349 Next