The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:13 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:48 am 

This is good:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48938553

"Landlords can refuse potential tenants with children when letting out a UK property, which has prompted complaints from some of those turned down.

Some families searching for a home to rent say it is unfair and discriminatory to rule out tenants with children.

But landlords point out that not all properties are suitable for youngsters, and that they are within their rights to refuse."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:04 am 

Huzzah!!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:51 am 

Huge win!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:32 am 

I was reading through the article and it struck me, yet again, about typical breeder entitled mentality. Some moo was going on about 'that's what the deposit is for, to sort out the mess', what the flying fuck!! That's the same kind of fucked up thinking that ends up with retail staff and waiting staff clearing up the shit that some moo and her spawn have left behind because 'that's what they get paid for'....

I don't care if the landlord gets to keep the deposit because your feral crotchfruit have never been taught how to behave, or because you think 'it's not my property'. The landlord still has to sort out the whole cluster fuck you've left behind (delaying a further lease in the process) and the landlord shouldn't have to do that...Also how dare these fuckers bleat on about being skint, when they'd rather chuck away the deposit they've paid than exercise a bit of parental control.

I do hope this doesn't prompt a change in the law, although breeders will be cutting off their nose to spite their faces. All it'll mean is even more landlords will decide it's not worth the hassle and start to sell off their properties, thereby reducing the pool of rentals even further.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
... but that youngsters do not necessarily create more damage than older people.
Bullshit. A couple of millennial roommates aren't likely to dump raspberry cordial on the carpet, draw on the walls and smear peanut butter in all the electrical outlets.
Quote:
"I was disappointed. It felt a bit harsh. This was a small family home."
I'm sure it was perfect for a 30-something professional couple with a cat. That's a small family too, and I'd lay money that the cat is much better behaved than your yard apes.

If I was a landlord I wouldn't rent to small children either. Older ones might be better, but young kids are absolute hell on wheels. It might not be so bad if their parents actually gave a shit, but most of them don't. You only have to look at how some of those kids act in public to know they're ten times worse in private.

I'll bet parents would be happy to forfeit their thousand quid deposit if they can walk away from ten thousand dollars in damages. That's a sweet deal.Too many of them think "not my house, not my problem" and then wonder why the rental market is drying up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:54 pm 

I plan on renting out my house in the next year, and I only wish this were an option for me, living in breeder central :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:24 am 

I think of this as really progressive. In my country it is not at all allowed for landlords to discriminate against children, whilst they can discriminate against pets, which are not small animals ( an exception concerning small animals are rats, because some people don't like them, wtf) and they do so. It drives me fucking mad. I can't get behind that mentality. What, your child can scream it's head off for hours and run around like crazy, while my cat wouldnt be allowed to meow and play? Your child can stay and I'm expected to deal with the heartbreak, the guilt and the utterly devastating grief to rehome my fur baby (which of course wouldn't understand why I'd have to give it away), who is much more well behaved? Why? Because it's "just" an animal? Fuck that!

I think in most cases, pets in rental apartments are much better behaved than children.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:00 am 

We have a rental and when the last tenant left we had to repaint. The kid had drawn on the walls with texta. The stove was also broken, we assume the kid had stood on the stove door as it was the door that was broken. The tenant was furious he didn't get his deposit back. Luckily we had tenants insurance which paid for all damages.

We will never rent to a family again. I couldn't get over the entitled attitude. Accept that your kid damaged the property. As if you are getting back your deposit. They also left a lot of garbage which we had to clean up and remove.

It may not be your property but have some respect for where you live. Parents claim that their children are their life but these tenants kept the place filthy. So much for being a better person because you had kids.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:17 am 

I was an accidental landlord a while ago (I was struggling to sell an apartment I had, quite a niche type of property, a converted baronial pile built in 1800) so I ended up renting it rather then having to pay the service fees/council tax etc on an empty place. But never, ever again will I rent a property.

I had the same issue as you TSP, I rented to a guy who was divorced and had his 3 young kids every other weekend. OMG I cried at the state of the place when they left, it was disgusting. All kinds of crap stuffed down the plugholes, the sinks and loos were stained brown, holes to be filled in the walls where he'd hung their 'art' which then all needed repainting and the floors had clearly never seen a mop... Fucking animals

He too tried to get me to give back the deposit, dream on!