The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:44 am 

^^^ God, it's so fucking annoying. He does it all the time.

We have automated jobs that run day and night. One of the parameters for setting up a job is to define how long the job should run before sending an alert saying that it's running a long time and to check it.

So we get an alert that literally says, "Job XYZ has been running 300 minutes. Please verify job is running properly."

What does he do? Forwards that to us (we've already gotten it), saying, "Guys, this job has been running a long time, someone needs to check it."

Thanks, I would have never figured that out. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am 

Not a rant so much as a random thought/worry: the old exec director of our department retired about a month ago. They’ve announced the new exec director has been hired. They went with an external candidate, even though I know that some internal people had applied. To me, that signals that they’re looking to make some changes. I wonder how much things are going to be shaken up; I have a sneaking suspicion that the new person may be being brought in to roll some heads.

Interesting times, for sure. I’m hoping I’m safe (and I don’t want to get cocky, but I think I will be; I’m not high up on the ladder and I’d like to think I’m a good worker. Also my budget is minuscule). It’ll be interesting to see who stays and who goes. The new person starts in a month.

Regardless, it’s always stressful when one of the high executive positions changes. It can signal a completely new strategic direction.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 pm 

I hate stupid customers, but I do get a great bit of pleasure telling people "I don't know" and watching their faces twist up with shock and a bit of rage.
I'm a merchandiser, clearly wearing a shirt/uniform that indicates I don't work at the store. No matter how much they may shout, I still don't work there.
No preamble. "Where's the ___?"
"I don't know." "Not a clue" "no idea"
"..You don't know?" they spit as they glare at me.
"Nope. I don't work here."