The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:16 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 8198 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:51 pm 

I'd be happy to try them, I never understood why people think one source of food is OK (often more than OK) but another is 'out of bounds'. I'll eat anything if it tastes good and won't kill me....and at the potential to reap the ire of pet owners, that includes dogs and cats. Meat is meat to my my mind, I have no distinction between them. To me any sensitivities are just cultural e.g Muslims would think me barbaric for eating pork, but you'd have to wrestle a bacon butty out of my cold dead hands.

I rather think some kind of of sweet , sticky, chilli, crunchy stuff sounds great (lawd knows I troughed enough pork scratchings in my time, complete with hairs still attached, so exoskeletons hold no fear for me) I don't see anything different to fried crickets from fried prawns.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:52 pm 

To be clear, I'm specifically taking about opening a package of veg and finding literally thousands of aphids crawling and that black sticky shit they leave behind stuck all over it.

Crickets, grasshoppers, that wouldn't bother me if I were opening a packet of cayenne spiced crickets and I found...cayenne spiced crickets. But if I opened that package and found some houseflies skipping around...no. Something's wrong with their production and packaging if that's the case.

That cauliflower I posted was *after* the 30-minute salt-and-vinegar soak and a thorough blasting with the sink sprayer, and those little fuckers were still there, and still happily dancing about. And there was no way to get them all, due to the structural nature of cauliflower.

And that's not counting the ones that *were* done in by the wash - I gathered up enough dead aphids to make a good-sized meatball. Figuring the organic (i.e. puny) cauliflower was literally the size of a softball, that's too much bug:veg ratio for me.

On top of all that, it put me *way* behind with my meal. First, I hadn't thought to allow for a half-hour soak, which took more like 45 minutes, as I had to gather it all together and look up the proportions.

Then, once I realized I was dealing Aphidtropilis and not just a random bug or two, I had to clean all that up and go scrounge the freezer for something else.

The occasional gnat in my beer, no problem. Bee lands on my watermelon slice, I can deal. Massive hoards of rampaging aphids, coming from all directions...uh-uh. Aphids must die!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:13 pm 

^^I agree with you on this. I have no problem with eating bugs, but I like to know when I’m eating bugs. I would be unhappy with unexpected insects in my food (although I do unexpectedly end up eating the occasional bug when I’m flying downhill on my bike...)

We’re going to seriously start to get our act together and eat healthier around here, so tonight I made chicken salad. Spinach, red pepper, carrot, and jicama (the poor cashier was totally flummoxed when I bought it at the grocery store, he’d never seen or heard of it before) tossed in honey-lime vinaigrette. Topped that with a grilled chicken breast, then drizzled a peanut sauce on top. Yummy, satisfying, and healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:07 am 

Quote:
To be clear, I'm specifically taking about opening a package of veg and finding literally thousands of aphids crawling and that black sticky shit they leave behind stuck all over it.

Ah right, I thought you were talking about the crickets. :oops:

I agree on the aphids, I don't mind having wash veg under the tap to clear off some critters, but that cauliflower was ridiculous. I thought 'organic' also meant using natural methods of pest control e.g. using bucket loads of ladybirds, not just leaving the greenfly to run riot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:30 am 

Quote:
the poor cashier was totally flummoxed when I bought it at the grocery store, he’d never seen or heard of it before
That happens to me occasionally. Sometimes, it's because I'm buying some unusual, and other times, it's because the checkout person is ignorant. Last Sunday, I had to tell her what a sweet potato was, and then turn around and tell her what Boston lettuce was!

You might be thinking, "give her a break on the lettuce," but this is Kroger, and they sell maybe three kinds of lettuce that aren't prewrapped, bagged, or boxed, so it shouldn't be that hard.

I also hear you on the eating better. We've had a downward slide recently, so that's why we had salad (to which I added salami and provolone :? ). Last night, we went to the county fair for my yearly 1/2-pound hobo steak sandwich (their motto should be, "It's so nasty, it's good!"), and we've somehow ended up with a lot of junk food in the house, so I've had a continual diet of potato chips, Fritos, Oreos, and chocolate the last month.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:21 pm 

Pizza. A little dry at the edge, but otherwise ok.

Attachments:
8F4F6CF1-D4BC-4718-A88F-38661BD149BB.jpeg
8F4F6CF1-D4BC-4718-A88F-38661BD149BB.jpeg [ 238.88 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:33 pm 

Beer cheese and pretzel...let's call those knobs...pretzel knobs.

Attachments:
7E2057C9-EE42-45E6-81E3-8ECDF910967C.jpeg
7E2057C9-EE42-45E6-81E3-8ECDF910967C.jpeg [ 190.49 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:31 pm 

Geeeeez...I just made a homemade version of General Tso's chicken, and it's the most laborious recipe I've done in a long time - worse than folding a shit-ton of potstickers.

The coating was the main issue. Extra gloppy and sticky, so all the pieces of chicken stuck together like they were glued and wouldn't separate at all. It was nearly impossible to get them into the oil, and the coating wasn't very even distributed.

What a fucking mess it made, too. And that's *me* saying that, the 2017 winner of Mr. Messy Kitchens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:43 pm 

^That beer cheese pretzel ring looks so delicious, CarryOn!

Husband’s cooking tonight, and he’s making fancy-pants sandwiches. He’s really been on a kick with them lately. He’s roasted a red pepper, and he’s slow-roasting a steak. He usually makes some sort of fancy spread, too (like sun-dried tomato spread, or pesto) and then piles the meat, roasted pepper, spread, cheese, and some sort of lettuce onto a nice bun. They’re really good. Sometimes he makes something very similar, but in salad form (pile it all on lettuce instead of bread).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:09 am 

^^^ Thanks!

Mo' pizza:

Attachments:
D3917DCA-6F7C-49F5-8367-43C685FF9511.jpeg
D3917DCA-6F7C-49F5-8367-43C685FF9511.jpeg [ 122.95 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 8198 Next