The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:29 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous 182 83 84 85 8691 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:27 pm 

God, today has just SUCKED!!! It's been just a 100 little things, though.

Up at 6AM, fed the dog, that went ok. Then MrsCO got up and the first words, the literal first words out of her mouth were bitching about her back. No good morning, no is the tea ready, just bitching about her back. Lest you think I'm a callous brute, I'll explain later why I sound so harsh.

Anyway, she had me looking some med interactions up online. How you can be on one med for nine years and another one for four years and not know the common interactions is beyond me, but there you go.

What really irritated me was, I'd find the information she was looking for, then she'd dispute it. Why am I looking this up if you're just going to argue it? If you don't believe WebMD and the same interactions app that the pharmacist uses, then call your fucking doctor, leave a message, and wait three days for a call back. :x

Well, that made me late getting online for work, and when I got online, lo and behold, my coworker is out on vacation (another unannounced one) and our other guy was up half the night, so he's out until noon. On top of that, after I got logged in, my laptop spontaneously rebooted and then wouldn't boot for several tries.

Way behind when I finally get online, and I'm doing the work of three. Fun, fun, fun.

Then the eye doctor called with additional instructions for the wife's first eye surgery next week. While I'm talking to her, my IM is blowing up at work, and when I don't respond to that, they start texting me.

MrsCO is sitting right next to me while I'm talking to the doc on speakerphone, and I asked the questions she's written down yesterday. Then, as soon as I hung up: "Did you ask her about the eye drops and driving?" No...BECAUSE IT'S NOT ON THE FUCKING LIST!!!

Called back while phone continues to get carpet-bomber with texts.

Then I remembered that I wanted to use the last of the steak for lunch, and to make a pizza dough takes about two hours total, and it's already 11AM, so I quickly threw that together.

In the middle of all this, I'm doing laundry and the washing machine and dryer are alternating in buzzing and beeping all morning long.

Check the dough at 12:30AM - it's barely budged. It ended up needing twice the time to proof.

By this time, dog is barking for lunch. I also got a brand new fabric hand brace and was in such a hurry with the dog that I got wet nasty dog food all over it. Good thing I'm doing laundry. :x

Then the emergency at work reared up again, had to handle that.

Finally, 2:30PM, pizza's made, dog is sleeping, work has settled down, and all that's left is laundry. Then my laptop rebooted again, just before a meeting. At least I got to skip the meeting. :)

Now, I just found out that even though I'm not on call tomorrow, I'm working 6AM until whenever. This is every-Saturday work, and whomever is on-call is supposed to handle it, but the on-call guy has had a helluva bad week, averaging four calls a night every night between 11PM and 6AM, and since that'll probably continue tonight, and the other guy is on vacation...I just got volunteered.

Guess who did last Saturday's work for the exact same reason? Me. Guess who did the Saturday before, because it was his turn, even though he had just as shitty a week with on-call? Me. Guess who's regular turn it is next week, because I start on-call Monday? Me. That's four Saturdays in a row, and last Saturday, I worked from 6AM to just past noon, and the Saturday before that, things went south, and I worked nearly 10 hours. And pulled my on-call shift that night and got called twice.

And back to my wife's back: she's been in PT for 18 months, and a chiropractor for the last three, trying to get her back figured out, and one thing both have told her: you need to do your stretches at home, and above all else, DO NOT SIT IN YOUR OFFICE CHAIR MORE THAN AN HOUR WITHOUT TAKING A WALK BREAK!!!

When did she go back to work? At 10AM. What time is it now? 4:30PM. How many times has she gotten up? Zero. Nada. Zilch. None. Nil.

So that's why I'm not a jerk for not getting too worked up over her back pain. She does fuck-all to mitigate it, then bitches endlessly about how much her back hurts.

FOLLOW THE DOCTOR'S ORDERS!!! :x

...and here comes the dog for her pills and supper. Oh joy. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:51 pm 

Well, today has been a trial so far, but it's worked out ok, I think. This will contain TMI regarding toilet habits, so consider yourself warned. :)

First, up a 6AM to work. Part of the reason I hate this is that I'm on a conference call with maybe six other people who all have tasks, but their stuff depends on mine, and once work starts, I'm committed until we're done.

Well, my body has a very regimented waste removal schedule, which goes something like:

6AM - up
6:01AM - pee
6:06AM - poop
<Do morning stuff>
6:21AM - poop
<continue on with day>

Always, always, I poop twice in the morning! Always!

Except when I have to do this 6AM shift, because it's up at 6AM, on the computer and working by 6:05AM, and then I'm on until 8:30AM or so, if I'm lucky.

That throws my whole body off. The whole time I'm trying to work and concentrate, my butt is saying, "Hello...? Why have you forsaken me? You *really* shouldn't be clenching me so much, you're just making me angry...and you won't like me when I'm angry!"

And I miss my morning tea. :x

So that was the morning, and also while working, the dog is pestering the hell out of me because she wants to eat and she has to wait an hour for the wife to get up and do it.

Then, off to the eye doctor to get a temporary contact lens for the wife to wear for two weeks between eye surgeries.

Sure enough, as I expected, the "tech" out front could not grasp the concept of a temporary lens and had set MrsCO up for a full contact lens exam. I explained it again, same person, third time, and she scribbled some stuff down and we waited.

When we finally got in to see the doc, she looked at the paper and said, "So...you're wanting to replace your glasses with contacts?"

No. No. Not at all. No.

We explained to her what we wanted, which she understood perfectly, and said, "Well, that's not what it says here, but that's ok."

Then she took some quick measurements, checked her vision, grabbed a pair of trial contacts and handed them over.

"There you go, try 'em out today, then take 'em out tonight, and just wait until your surgery before using them again, though you can just leave 'em in if you want, but you're not going to be able to see perfectly with them. They're just to get you close."

Perfect! How hard was that? And the best part? The exam price ($100) included the lenses.

And then the talking set in:

"I can see here...and here...but over here I can't!"
"When I used to wear contacts every day..."
"I don't have a normal-shaped eye, you know."
"The ground looks closer."

And on and on and on. Every thought that entered my wife's head about contacts, glasses, her surgery, vision in general...came out of her mouth."

"I can read that sign."
"I can't read that license plate!"
"I wonder what my phone looks like?"

We had to drive across the street for some groceries, and in the five minutes it took to do that, I must have heard 25 things about eyes and contacts and glasses and seeing.

She sat in the car while I went in.

Remember when you had a cassette player in the car and you'd shut the car off mid-song and leave the tape in? When you started it again, it'd play from where it left off?

That's what this was like:

"Have these changed my eye color at all? I think..."

<Goes inside, shops, comes out, puts groceries in back, sits in front seat>

"I don't know if these feel right. Do they look like they feel right?"

I don't even know what that means. :?

"She said these are the same prescription in each eye, so they're interchangeable, but I don't know..."

"Maybe I'll wear contacts again once this is all done."

"Why don't you wear contacts?"

:|

Then she told me she wanted to go to a produce barn/market thingy. Mind you, she didn't particularly want anything, but she wanted to stop. This is a place that sells fresh local produce, old-fashioned candies, saspirilla, that sort of thing.

I hate making multiple stops, especially on a weekend, especially when there's no reason to go, and especially while listening to 1001 Things About My Eyes. But we went anyway.

Well. Surprise. It's not a produce place anymore. Oh, it *thinks* it is, but they put in a cafe with a patio, and they were selling "small plates," and most of the produce was gone, but they had plenty of artsy-fartsy prints for sale, and a full fucking bar in the back.

Basically, they'd turned it in a wine-and-cheese place, but with craft beer and finger foods, and just enough trucked in artisanal potatoes and speckled eggs to allow themselves to rebrand as "The Farms At Low Valley."

:roll:

We bought nothing and finally got home. Thank god.

Came in, and the dog was going nuts to eat, plus she had upchucked some water/fluids and that needed clean up (she's always done that), and I had to put the groceries away.

I was doing all that while the wife went in the back to take out her lenses.

I *just* got all that shit done, sat down, and no sooner than my ass hit the couch, MrsCO came running down the hallway crying.

"I CAN'T GET THEM OUT! I CAN'T GET THEM OUT!"

"Jesus Christ! Stop crying! Why are you crying?! Calm down!"

Then I told her to squirt some saline in her eyes and get them wet. The whole time she was screaming bloody murder.

Finally, I got tired of that and told her, "Look! They're contact lenses! They're not going to kill you! You're not going to go blind! Calm the hell down, take a breather, and take the damn things out or get your butt back in the car and I'll drive you all the way back there so they can take your damn lenses out for you, but make up your mind because it's Saturday and they close early!"

Then she popped then right out: "Haha, that wasn't so bad." :|

So now we're all good, but it was sure a crappy trip getting there.

I can't tell you how much I'm dreading the next month, because it's going to be a continual riff on, "My eye feels funny. My eye doesn't feel right. Something's wrong with my eye. My eye. My eye. My eyeeeeee!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:26 am 
Site Admin

I'm wondering if Mrs. CO suffers from anxiety. This sounds a lot like pre-anxiety medication Mrs. LP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:42 pm 

Husband found out today he has to go on medication for his high blood pressure. He’s genetically predisposed to it, but the extra weight he’s carrying around and his diet probably aren’t helping any.

He’s super bummed out about it. He’s been exercising but he hasn’t changed his diet any - he was really hoping the exercise would help.

I guess I’ll have to research the DASH diet any try to figure out how to cook a bit healthier...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:26 am 

I've been busting my ass since Monday.

Worked all day Monday, then got called at 7:30PM and worked for about 30 minutes, then got called at 10:30PM and worked until goddamn 3AM, and had to be back on at 9AM.

Thursday, MrsCO had her eye surgery, so there were a couple of days of prep for that. It went really well, better than expected, but for the rest of July (she's getting her other eye done in a couple of weeks), she can't do anything at all that causes a strain. No bending, no lifting, no "hard" blinking, no rapid eye movements, etc. it's nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:00 pm 

A few of my family members have very thick accents. When they leave me voicemail, my iPhone can't ever transcribe it. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:27 pm 

I just saw a joke about Roger Federer on my Twitter timeline. My first thought was "Heh, that's funny, I should tell that to my MIL the next time I see her". Then I remembered that I haven't seen her for a year and a half and I will probably never see her again and I have all of these strange feelings about it.

Estrangement is weird.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:03 pm 

Wow. I finally called KitchenAid about my woefully underperforming food processor I just bought last month.

Two minutes on the phone, and he asked for a screenshot of any kind of proof that I bought it, so I emailed that in, and three minutes later, I had an email confirmation, saying they were sending me a new food processor.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:55 am 

^ holy goodness. I love them!

Something strange happened the other day. I was working in a store (merchandising) and someone approached me saying "excuse me, ma'am?" And when I looked up at them to see wtf they wanted from my life, she said "oh, sorry. You looked like a ma'am."
To which I replied "well, I am...." very confused
I'm cisgender woman. I look feminine. I wear pretty jewelry and eye makeup. What?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:40 am 

^^^ For some folks, "ma'am" equals "older woman to whom I must be deferential" - maybe they thought you were older than you are, then upon seeing you, realized you're a youngster, a miss, a girl, a bonnie lass. :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous 182 83 84 85 8691 Next