The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:54 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:12 am 

^ That's awesome...it's actually pretty close to how we wound up seeing Captain Marvel, too. Spontaneous move, got dinner together after the movie, skipped ice cream. I enjoyed Captain Marvel. I knew I'd wind up seeing it at some point, because I generally want to support movies with strong female characters. I figured Captain Marvel would be a good chance, since it's not DC (sorry, DC, but it's kind of a fluke that Wonder Woman was actually a cool movie). Fun show.

Today, the spouse and I are both lounging around in sweats this morning, then each doing our own thing with friends this afternoon. Socializing separately seems to also be a CF perk...at least from what I've seen. I just always took it for granted that partners would be down with having their own things to do sometimes, but there seems to be this odd possessiveness among some childed people. One of Mr. Tempest's co-workers jokingly referred to me as "the cool wife" because I don't care if he goes out with co-workers for drinks after work. Anyone else noticed this? Childed people seem to be on a shorter leash. Maybe it's just me, and who I've run into. I dunno.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:40 pm 

^^^ Definitely agree on the "do your own thing" aspect of CF couples.

Today, we did some shopping. See my many posts on why shopping with the wife is misery X1000. While sitting there, though, all done with my stuff while the wife was about .001% through her stuff, I saw a lot of childed couples shopping and *that* was misery X12 to the 10th power.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Went to the gym for almost 2 1/2 hours. Because I work out in the mornings before work, I always have a compressed timeline then and everything's a rush. I like the weekends because it gives me time to warm up properly, take my time on stuff, and see and talk to people that I don't get to see during the week. And no kids to have to rush home to. Now the cat is sitting on my knee, which is not something she does often, so I am making the most of it.

(She's shedding like crazy right now though, there is fur all over my keyboard ...)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:57 pm 

I hear you on weekend gym times. Whenever I've done a weekend workout I've always enjoyed the time aspect of it. No rush.

Sometimes weekends can be more crowded, though I've found that going earlier helps. Sometimes it's just nice old retirees gettin' their sweat on. Sometimes, though, it's like everyone else is trying to avoid the rush, and just moves that rush to earlier in the day instead of later!

Either way, I leave the pool/weight room after working out and think "Well, that's done. And I still have the rest of the day left!".

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:03 pm 

Yesterday was Star Wars day (May the 4th be with you) and the philharmonic orchestra in the next city over from me was doing a John Williams concert, so we went to that with my brother, sister-in-law, and a couple friends of ours. The friends cosplay every year at Fan Expo, and they had an extra costume from a past year, so the three of us decided to dress up!

They went as Han and Leia, and I was Rey. It was a lot of fun - we got lots of compliments on the costumes and people wanting to take our photo. The orchestra was also really good - they did music from Star Wars, Star Trek (not John Williams but it fits the theme), Harry Potter, E.T., Superman, and Jurassic Park (which gave me chills).

It was a great night, and we had no worries about having to wrangle children - just a fun night out with friends!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:37 pm 

Yesterday I bottle 2 cases of peach wine I made last year. The cleaning and sanitizing of bottles and equipment takes a while. Today I bottled 2 more small batches of wine. I racked a cherry mead and mixed berry mead into their secondaries. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with children tramping through my tiny kitchen and knocking things over or contaminating things.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 am 

Something I will do over the weekend...because I don't have kids...is take a road trip! I'm so pumped! I leave Friday morning. Gonna go get into some kinkiness :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:45 pm 

Summer's started, weather-wise, and I'm getting ready for my summer job. It takes me out of town and out of cell phone range for days/weeks at a time, so there's no way that would work with kids. Mr. Tempest would be stuck with ALL parenting responsibilities for 2+ months. Ugh, that would suck.

I'm getting stuff packed and making a list of a few last-minute items to pick up at the store, and I'll be all set. I don't have to leave until Saturday, so I'll have a day to goof off before. That'll be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:47 am 
Site Admin

I am stressed right now. Trying to renovate a house to put it on the market, trying to train for an international weightlifting competition, and now dealing with the sale of our company at work, all while running on hot-flash interrupted sleep night after night, is pretty much kicking my ass. I was up half last night with jaw pain, so I slept in as long as I could this morning and missed my workout. That just had to give today, sorry coach. I am hanging out for this weekend, and being able to slug Nyquil and sleep as long as I can.

I cannot imagine right now, coming home to some whiny little snotbag who doesn't want chicken for dinner, demands I help with homework, and has to be run to ballet/soccer/fingerpainting afterwards. Or (as would be more likely at my age) a teenager giving me fucking attitude. The cat shuts up immediately on being fed, I can cook decent food for dinner and eat it in peace, and I can go to bed at 8.15 if I feel like shit. Thank God.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:50 am 

We spent last weekend at the cottage with friends. Headed up Friday night and came back Sunday night. We could eat all we wanted (junk food galore!), stay up as late as we wanted, swear, drink as much as we felt like, sleep in as late as we wanted, and eat whatever food we felt like making. No worries about bedtimes, setting a good example, or having to get up and feed anyone except ourselves. The hardest part of the whole weekend was wrangling the cats into the car to get there, and then back into the car to get home again. The whole weekend would have been a drag and a pain in the butt if we'd had kids to worry about.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next