The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:56 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous 164 65 66 67 6891 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:59 am 

Quote:
We're nowhere near "overpopulation," and scientists have figured out even when we reach 11B, we'll have room for each man, woman, and child to have more than one acre of land each.
Just your bad luck if your 1 acre of land happens to be in the middle of the Sahara. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 am 
Site Admin

A friend just posted a GoFundMe for a guy who smashed up his motorcycle during the week (by all accounts riding like a dickhead through a construction zone). And of course, it's the old sob story about his wife, their kid, and how she's pregnant again, so everyone should chip in and help because babies.

If dude's responsible enough to be a daddy, then he's responsible enough to not be riding like a fuckwit while the streets here are covered in gravel and dust, and speeding through construction. He should also be responsible enough to have some sort of critical cover insurance, which would be the first thing I'd be buying if I had kids and a partner.

Apparently, "kids make you a better person" is still bullshit.

It's unfortunate that we have a lot of guys on the two forums I belong to, who are all like "I ride how I want, and nobody can tell me what to wear". I always say it's a free country, go right ahead. Just don't ask me to cough up for your GoFundMe when you fuck yourself up ... exhibit A.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 am 

This is going to be nit-picky, but here goes:

As someone who has had to write a fair amount of process and user documentation over the years, one thing that really cheeses me off is blatantly inaccurate instructions on how to do something.

Today, for example, we received an email at work with a free $25 donation to our local sponsored charity (with the company giving another $25 for every one we redeem). It's just a novel way to get us to participate without spending our own money.

The instructions for redeeming the voucher through the charity's web page are horrendous. Go to here and you'll see this, then click that. Nope. Not what I'm seeing, and the button to click isn't even there.

The truth is, I can suss out what needs to be done, but it's completely not what's in the attached instructions. So, instead of just doing that, I took screenshots of everything and sent a very passive-aggressive email to the organizers, saying, "Your instructions say this, but silly ol' me can't find this anywhere on the page...do you think your instructions are wrong? Please help!"

I know all I'll get back is, "Sorry you're having problems, click that other button over there," but I at least want them to realize their instructions are crap.

I just went through this with a local arts charity as well. Doesn't anyone QA this stuff anymore? It's pathetic!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Doesn't anyone QA this stuff anymore? It's pathetic!
Of course not. That costs money.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 am 

I had some shopping errands to run this morning, visiting about 4 different places, the whole things was hellish so Mr LaT and I decided to salve our wounds and go for lunch.

What a great idea that turned out. I didn't want a 'meal' as such and had a cheese craving going on, a sure sign I'm stressed, so had a starter of oil, balsamic, crusty bread, houmous, olives/dried tomatoes and the cheese and biccies from the dessert menu, (both served at the same time) while he had his cod and chips (with extra chips).

Crikey 'eck it was fabulous, the cheese and biccies came on a full sized chopping board, two different types of chutney, 4 different types of cheese (cheddar, stilton, brie and some other hard cheese, probably double gloucester), a mountain of various crackers (at least 10 different types), grapes, apple, celery. The olives etc had about 6 different types of olives, freshly baked, still warm baguette and the houmous was as light and fluffy as anything!

I ended up leaving about a third of each dish there was so much, but it wasn't for the want of trying, either one of my choices were a meal in themselves......the wine however I swear was Agent Orange! Hey ho, you gotta take the rough with the smooth. :D

His cod was stunning too (unusually for a pub, where the fish tends to be something out the freezer) but the fish was fresh and the batter was crispy and bubbly as you like and the place had a huge range of cask ales. What a good call that turned out to be!

Then back home for a nap!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

That sounds like a return trip ... it's always good to find a good place.

We used to have a really good pub in our neighbourhood. My old roomies, who like their beer, used to walk over for a platter and a pint, and then stumble home a few hours later. It changed hands a couple of years back and went downhill FAST, and then last week got closed for a bunch of health violations (not the least of which was rotting food in the fridges, and a mouse infestation). Apparently 24 hours after the closure notice was posted and everyone sent home, the owner walked back in, tore all the violation signs down, and fired straight back up! A bunch of people in the community FB group have reported violations to the city, so I wouldn't be surprised if the place closes for good in the next little while. Shame really. It was a good place to hang out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Just reading the news from New Zealand at lunch, The abortion law, which hasn't changed in 40 years and still requires two consenting doctors to sign off, is up for debate. As is a new version of the euthanasia law.

We live in interesting times. Interesting to hear all the religious nutters jumping in to both these debates with their "concern" over other people's lives ... :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:34 pm 

LaT - just curious...did the fish have the skin still on one side? The last few times we've had sit-down fish-and-chips, the skin has always been left on one side, and it's been a knife-and-fork affair, but the chip shops, it's always skinned.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:25 pm 

Ugh, just logged onto Facebook and there is not one, but two pregnancy announcements.

I made it through my 20s without everyone around me sprogging...now I hit my 30s and people are knocked up left and right.

I have a sneaking suspicion the next few years will be isolating as a bunch of my friends drift away...the good news is that I have 2 very close friends who are also CF. And all you lovely people who understand...a safe haven in a baby-crazed world is very much what I need right now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:18 pm 

Quote:
LaT - just curious...did the fish have the skin still on one side?
The way it usually works for battered fish; if it's cod it'll be skin off, if it's haddock it'll be skin on. It shouldn't make any difference where the fish is cooked (restaurant, pub or chippy) that tends to be norm when deciding skin on or off. I think haddock tends to be thinner, drier fillets and therefore more inclined to breaking up, hence leaving the skin on to keep the fish intact, but it's a flavour thing too...

A lot of restaurants or pubs don't say which fish you're getting, they'll just offer 'fish and chips', so you could get either. Chip shops often have a choice of the two, but if they don't stipulate you could get either/or.
Just to add to the complication, different parts of the country have a preference for one over the other. Broadly speaking, haddock is more popular up North and cod down South, so if you have the unnamed fish thing going on it's probably haddock in the northern counties and cod in the southern (although nationwide cod has the edge in popularity).

In short, if the skin is on it'll probably be haddock, if not it'll probably be cod.

Mr LaT, being a connoisseur of fish and chips, will only ever order cod and won't order fish and chips at all unless the menu specifies it, so in the case of the meal he had it was sans skin.

In my favourite fish and chip restaurant in Whitby, (Trenchers) they do tell you, if you 're ordering haddock, that they serve it skin on.

What was the question again? :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous 164 65 66 67 6891 Next