The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:09 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 5:22 pm 

As mentioned in my introduction, I want to start a thread on anxiety.

This way, we can share coping mechanisms and tools and hopefully help each other. Anxiety sucks and relying on medication can become addictive. This will be a place to list different things that you enjoy or find that work to bring down your anxiety.

Here are a few to get started:
- Weighted Blanket
- Adult coloring if you haven't you should really give this a try! There are all kinds of fun adult-themed. and rude coloring books available
- Journaling. Writing out your thoughts can be cleansing for the soul and help put things into perspective.
- Being able to vent: Journaling or by talking to someone else, even if it's online on a message board like this. Sometimes it's just good to get things off your chest.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:24 am 

I like to watch the wildlife in my backyard. I tend to forget about everything else when watching the chipmunks and squirrels.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:56 am 

Thankfully it's not something I have a problem with (unless there's something specific happening e.g. moving house) so I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like having to live with it full time.

However a few years ago I did start to experience this kind of jittery-ness that was there all the time (I even started to get nervous about driving.. :o ). I did a bit of investigation and found magnesium could help. So I started including more magnesium rich foods in my diet e.g. nuts, oily fish etc and taking a supplement and that combo seemed to work.

I know it's an old chestnut, but so often I find diet and exercise (I appreciate health issues can mean that's not always possible) is the way for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:09 am 

I don't have any coping mechanisms - I'm from the "suck it up and deal with it" generation, so I generally just worry incessantly over weird things and bite my nails down to the quick.

Nearly all my nieces and nephews who are Millennial-aged are on meds, and when they tell me what they're going through, my first thought is always, "They give you meds for that? I just got a smack and told to quit complaining!"

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I don't have any coping mechanisms - I'm from the "suck it up and deal with it" generation, so I generally just worry incessantly over weird things and bite my nails down to the quick.

Nearly all my nieces and nephews who are Millennial-aged are on meds, and when they tell me what they're going through, my first thought is always, "They give you meds for that? I just got a smack and told to quit complaining!"
Gen X here. I got a lot of "suck it up and deal with it" from my Boomer parents and Greatest Generation grandparents. Which is probably why I didn't get meds until my early 30s. Then I realized that may parents and grandparents were full of it.

Also transitioning genders helped a huge amount, as you might expect. Estrogen is a hell of a drug. Lastly, whenever I get too amped up it always helps to play video games for a bit. Especially open world sandbox ones with no particular objective. And usually if I'm really down, my cats seem to pick up on it and at least one will come snuggle up to me and I just chill with them for a while, which always calms me right down.

Mrs. LP and I both have depression and anxiety but the former is worse for me and the latter for her. She has meds as well but I still have to help calm her down sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:53 am 

When it comes to anxiety, it's good to know your triggers. Not so much to avoid them, but how to deal with them when they pop up.
The 'deal with it' generation has now left adults from that generation with anxiety struggling to cope. There are different meds out there, all with different side effects. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right one for you and to get the dosage right.

@LP My kitties love to come cuddle (My youngest crawled up and hugged me, purring away so I had to stop and cuddle before continuing this)
I find their purr soothing.

@LaT I've heard of taking magnesium as well, maybe I should give that a try. I have Ativan right now and I try not to use them unless I have to.

@CFinNY Wildlife is definitely fun to watch and it's relaxing. I find nature walks very calming and soothing. Going for a walk when your triggered actually tricks your brain and by the time you're done your walk, anxiety is gone.

I'm also a gamer and play sandbox-type games including Minecraft and Lego Worlds. They can be relaxing too. I also like COD Zombies or some Grand Theft Auto.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:41 pm 

I find exercise really helps for me - I know it can be very hard to work up the motivation to work out when you're anxious and stressed (this is why I stopped working out last winter), but it does really help my mood, especially when I can do my workouts outdoors (biking, hiking, etc.) I also find I sleep much better when I've been exercising.

Speaking to a therapist, if you can afford it (my insurance covers something like the equivalent of 8 sessions a year) is something I find very helpful as well. I see a therapist for anxiety and I do find it very helpful.

I find some mindfulness techniques can be helpful as well - it takes a bit of practice (and I know I don't practice nearly as often as I should), but it can be good at keeping yourself in the moment and concentrating on what is happening now.

These are some of the things that help me - I haven't been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder but it is something that I struggle with at times.