The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:50 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: US Politics
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Those of us in blue states will be fine. Those women in red states will be out of luck, but then they did vote for this, so I feel they'll get what they deserve.
Part of me agrees, but part of me wouldn't want any woman who doesn't want a child to be effectively forced to carry to term, or roll the dice with a backalley abortionist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:45 am 

^ Yes, especially their little girls, who did not get a vote anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:25 pm 

^ I also feel bad for resulting babies whose situations don't improve once they're here. And for the women who live in red states and vote blue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:02 am 

I live in Michigan. So it all comes down to this next gubernatorial election.

Even y'all in clearly blue states shouldn't be so relaxed- after Roe falls, there is nothing stopping GOP house/senate and president from passing a federal abortion ban (apart from Roe, since the fall of Roe wouldn't ban abortion, just leave it up to the states). "States rights" doesn't apply when it's a christian conservative agenda being pushed. That's why there have been so many attempts to use federal laws to stop states from passing their own anti-discrimination laws. And before the SCOTUS decision, there were also attempts to use federal laws to stop states from legalizing gay marriage. Conservatives only stand for "states rights" until the rights in question are aligned with liberalism.

I am asexual and sterilized, so abortion access doesn't realistically impact me (setting aside my admittedly batshit fear of being raped *and* having a sterilization failure at the same time, which is extremely improbable, but my crazy tokophobic brain still thinks about it :lol:)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:02 pm 

At least there will be doctors that will perform them in blue states, just like there were pre-Roe. They'll just cost a lot of money like they did in the past.

As someone who's sterilized and over-40, it's not something that will affect me personally other than financially. I simply don't want to pay for all the babies that will be born instead of aborted. If a pregnant woman doesn't want the brat to come into existence, why should I want it here? I honestly don't care about children that are already here, so I can't say I care about those still in process.

I've always been surprised that men support abortion bans though. Child support is a bitch, and if abortion is legal you have a shot at escaping support payments if you can convince the pregnant one to have an abortion. Unless they're going to overturn child support laws too, I see this backfiring on men - generally those that don't have much money or common sense to begin with - in a huge way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:00 pm 

After Roe falls, there is nothing stopping GOP house/senate and president from passing a federal abortion ban (apart from Roe, since the fall of Roe wouldn't ban abortion, just leave it up to the states), in which case doctors in blue states won't be able to legally perform abortions.

I'd rather pay for other people's abortions than other people's babies - that's for sure. It's fiscally responsible.

Men disproportionately support abortion bans because men are disproportionately likely to be conservative, which tends to go hand in hand with support of abortion bans. It's not a logical or self-interested stance.
Quote:
Quote:
Those of us in blue states will be fine. Those women in red states will be out of luck, but then they did vote for this, so I feel they'll get what they deserve.
Part of me agrees, but part of me wouldn't want any woman who doesn't want a child to be effectively forced to carry to term, or roll the dice with a backalley abortionist.
No one will be forced to carry to term. There is always unsafe, illegal abortion or suicide available for the 30-70% of women in red states that didn't vote for this. The gender gap is huge. Even in red states, women are pretty split down the middle, if not still D-leaning. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... -breaking/

I live in a purple state, and I vote D, but I have no problem with committing suicide, lol. I used to plan it out in detail. Now I don't, but I always make sure I know how to do it. *shrug*