The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:10 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: What Are You Reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:12 am 

Didn't see this anywhere else, so Downtime seems as good a place as any to start it.

I'm reading Bill Bryson's "Neither Here Not There," a travelogue covering a solo trip around Europe. He'd made the same trip when he was 18 or 19, in 1972, and this is a recreation of that trip 20 years later.

I've read other books of his, and I love how he's able to highlight faults and absurdities, yet still treat his subjects with love and understanding. Frankly, he reminds me of myself, in that he constantly grumbles about things, yet it's obvious he's a huge optimist. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:34 am 

I've really got into audio books lately and have subscribed to Audible.....currently listening to 'Tome of Bill' by Rick Gaultieri (vampires, witches and various creatures). I think I only started listening to it because it was something like 44 hours long and only used one credit. A bit of humour, a fair bit of swearing..... pretty undemanding and light stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Tomorrow Will Be Different by Sarah McBride. I'm finding it especially relevant since I'm embarking on the same journey she did.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:31 pm 

Well, I just finished Bryson's book on the plane, and like a really good book, he had me laughly hysterically at one point, then wiping tears of sadness five minutes later.

So yes, I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:22 pm 

I loved Bryson’s book on hiking the Appalachian Trail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:21 pm 

^A Walk in the Woods! That was a great book. Lots of laughs, and some poignant moments too. I love to hike as well so I could really relate to a lot of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:11 am 

^^^ Bryson's "Notes From A Small Island" is probably my favorite book of all time.

I had time to kill at JFK airport, so I ducked into a newspaper/books/snacks shop there and was tickled to find Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology" in paperback, so now I'm reading that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:15 am 

High Stakes by Dick Francis. I've read several of his books and they've all been really good. My mom has a copy of every novel he's written, so when I go to visit my parents I return the last one I borrowed and pick up a new one. This particular one has been sitting in my office for quite a while, so I figure I should read it and return it before my mom starts wondering where the hell it's gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Tomorrow Will Be Different by Sarah McBride. I'm finding it especially relevant since I'm embarking on the same journey she did.
I finished this today and wow! What an amazing woman she is. She has seen and done and experienced so much for someone who is only 28 years old. Truly an inspiration.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:38 pm 

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm also pretending that my basement is located in northern Sweden, where it is probably not 500 degrees outside.

I'll have to watch the movie again, once I finish the book. I always thought that while Daniel Craig did a fine job in the movie, were there no Scandinavian actors available? Not that it wasn't a film full of Brits and Americans anyway, but at the very least he could have attempted some sort of non-English accent. I guess that's what irks me - he was the only one that kept his normal accent in the film.