The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:55 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:55 pm 

I didn't see one, so I decided to create one!

I am pretty sure that I'm not the only one on this board who is living with a disability. I thought that it would be a good idea to start a threat so that we can support each other and share coping mechanisms as well as information and resources.

If you're comfortable, please tell us your disability and a bit about it.
This will allow us to understand what you are living with day to day and to better recommend resources/therapies.

Disclaimer: Each person here is an individual and as such, each person lives with their disability differently. When commenting, please keep in mind:
a) A therapy that worked really well for you, may not work so well for someone else. Therapies are worth a shot, to relieve discomfort
and pain.
b)Empathy - We don't ask you to feel sorry for us or woe is me. We just ask you to empathize and imagine how we feel having to live
with this every day.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:59 pm 

I have Spastic Cerebral Palsy (CP) I was diagnosed when I was about two.
It comes with a learning disability along with tight muscles in my legs and back, mostly. It can also affect speech and motor skills as well as balance. My case is considered 'mild' compared to a lot of other kids out there. I don't have the total muscle rigidity or atrophy like a lot of CP patients do.

I've been told that in CP patients, our bones feel roughly 20 years older than they actually are.
So right now, my back feels like it's about 60. Since I started moving, I"ve developed lower back pain, in my tailbone area and my back muscles are spasming constantly when I do anything physical.

I've been told that it will get progressively worse as I get older. So it's learning to deal with/manage pain and slow down a little bit.
Heat helps; I actually have a heating pad on my back right now. This is becoming a daily thing.

As for slowing down, I've been told that it's okay to take a day off / take it slow when needed. YOUR health and well-being come first. If it means a day taking it easy or staying in bed, it's what you have to do in order to feel better. You shouldn't feel ashamed about it.

Has anyone else here tried laser therapy or electrotherapy? I'd rather try holistic therapy than pop a bunch of pills every day. I'm also on a limited income and want to do some research before applying for funding to get treatment covered.

Opinions, Thoughts?