The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:46 pm 

I'm pretty sure this was an old topic so let's get it restarted :mrgreen:

Right now I go to yoga once or twice a week and I'm loosely following a weights & cardio fitness program called the Bikini Body Guide. I've been doing it for a year now, and I like it because it's pretty flexible.

My job is pretty active so I don't work out as much as I'd like to but I do whatever I can - hiking, biking, walking, you name it! How do you work out and what do you like to do for exercise?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:01 pm 

Bugger all nowadays, as years of high impact CV has done my knees in.....I've got some nice boney outcrops around my knee joints and virtually no cartilage.

At some point I may get back to the gym and start a regime of resistance and strength stuff, but for now it's more about pain management and keeping mobility in the joints.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Transitioned to Olympic weightlifting from Crossfit full time in January. I've done two open competitions since, and I'm doing masters competition next year and forward.

The current plan is to do the provincial masters competition in January 2019 here, to qualify for Canadian Nationals in May, and all going well, compete in World Masters in August, which is in Montreal (so home country). I beat the qualifying total (the minimum amount you have to lift) for world competition in my age group easily in my last 2 comps, so no worries there. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself throwing heavy things around, it's very hard work, but it's super fun mastering the technique and feeling yourself getting stronger.

World Masters competiton is insane. It's five days, last year it was sold out at 750 competitors. Just being there is going to be amazing. Doing well would be a bonus, but my coach is confident, and my totals stack up well to the competition. Montreal will be tough though, as the Americans will show up in force, and those ladies are strong and experienced.

Before you ask, I am not some kind of superwoman :-) Weightlifting is a very fringe sport, and especially when you get to my age. At worlds there will likely only be 25-30 women in my group at 50-54 years old ... but that's still decent competition!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:45 pm 

^ Wow that's amazing, what an achievement already let alone the various Masters you have lined up, congratulations! We'll be rooting for you every step of the way! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:38 pm 

I used to play tennis. A lot. Now not so much, but I still go to the courts to play when I can find someone to go. It's hard to find someone to play, as I used to play tennis in college, so I'm still better than most casual players. That leads people to not want to play me because it can turn into a one-sided match. It's not fun for them or me, so I have to either call some of my go-to guys, or see if someone there is looking for someone to play.

I used to go to the pool to swim, but I really don't get along with chlorine, so I dropped that. Most of the time I'm on the treadmill or elliptical at home or at the gym. I also bike, but only off-road. Too many douchbags not only don't share the road, but they go out of their way to be douchebags to cyclists. I also like to hike, and ski during the winters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:55 am 
Site Admin

I'm all about fitness. Fitness entire pizza in my belly. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:52 am 

^^^ ...and I'm your workout buddy. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:40 am 

I do a variety of things, and it's varied over the years. Right now, here's what my fitness regime looks like:

-bike to and from work most days - in spring/summer/fall, it's usually 5 days per week, in winter maybe closer to 3-4 days per week. My ride is 8 km one way.
-volunteer at community bike rides - usually 1-2 per month from May - October. The ride itself is usually 15 km, maybe with a couple of 20-35 km rides thrown in there. I also frequently bike to/from the start point of these rides, which can tack on an extra 10-15 km, sometimes more, sometimes less.
-horseback ride 1 hr per week. I'd love to ride more often, but time/money constrain me here.
-from September - May, martial arts class once per week. The actual learning of martial arts is not super-physically demanding (especially since I'm very much a beginner), but the warmup/workout portion of the class always kicks my butt.
-work out with a personal trainer once per week - this usually involves both cardio and weightlifting (I work out with husband for this one, and he's a much better weightlifter than me, while I have a much higher level of cardio fitness than him).

Writing all that out, it looks like a lot, but I still feel like I could be in much better shape than I am. My love of food is a bit of an issue. I have lost 20 lbs over the past year - I'm hoping to be able to maintain that weight loss, especially over the upcoming holiday season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

20lb is a lot of weight to lose. Good for you.

I put my pedal bike away for the winter. We had an awful Sept here - we've had a big wet, cold weather bubble parked right over the Prairies for two weeks now, and it looks like it's here to stay. I bought a transit pass for this month. Biking in 0C and snow flurries is not my idea of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:48 am 

Thanks, Alicorn! I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished so far. Problem is, this is the time of year when I usually put on weight - it's like my body says, "Winter is coming! Time to pack on the pounds for the upcoming famine!" I'll talk to my trainer tonight and see if she has any suggestions to thwart it.

I guess the good news is that now we're estranged from husband's family, we'll have fewer holiday meals to attend. Before, it was two thanksgiving meals, two xmas dinners, plus whatever we made for ourselves at home (I usually make something really nice for Boxing Day, which is when we have a chance to celebrate xmas with just the two of us) - but now we'll have just my family to visit. Maybe that will help a bit.