The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:14 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Night sweats and protein
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:28 pm 

I'm 57 and had my last period 2 years, maybe more, ago.....but I was still getting (what felt like) menopausal symptoms particularly the getting hot and night sweats.

I assumed this was just menopausal stuff droning on and was pretty damned sure, based on previous experience, that's what the Dr would say too, so I started doing a bit of my own research.

As is so often the case it seems to have boiled down to diet and more especially high protein intake. As we know protein is hard to digest but what I didn't appreciate was it produces a thermic reaction, which fools your body into thinking it needs to cool down, via sweating.

I have followed a low carb (except when I fall off the wagon and binge on bread), high protein diet since forever. Carbs have been my nemesis, especially processed and starchy ones, so I've pretty much avoided them. However based on this new info I adapted my diet and now eat animal protein once a day (twice if I have eggs for breakfast) and only during the day, for my evening meals I've moved to a plant based meal ...still avoiding the processed and starchy carbs though.

The change was within 24 hours, no more night sweats, no more sudden 'outpourings' , better sleep which is often uninterrupted and an added bonus, loads more energy. In fact I've become a bit of a fidget and seem to have become a lot more active; not exercising or anything, just looking for jobs that need doing around the house, in the garden, errands that need running etc and then actually doing them!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:59 pm 

Now thats interesting LaT. I'm almost 57 and have found I'm still having bouts of hot flushes and lethargy. I've only recently clicked that its linked to my diet. I'm going to monitor what I eat, and it's effects (but unfortunately I have poor discipline when it comes to food!).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:30 am 
Site Admin

This stuff's so interesting, hey? My acupuncturist turned me on to "cooling" and "heating" foods. Because I work out a lot and am basically a rolling ball of inflammation, she's loaded my diet with dairy, cool fruits and vegetables like zucchinis, cucumbers and avocado. I'm supposed to limit my intake of red meat and spicy food (chili for lunch today,oops ...). It does seem to help, and it's not any hardship to eat that way, so I'm happy to do it.

https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/a ... ing-foods/

Meat takes a long time and a lot of work to digest, and your body temperature definitely goes up with digestion. So no surprise it's still churning away during the night and you're hotter than hell while it does.

I went to a seminar about a year ago where the guy was saying to make your last meal low on protein, and high on carbohydrates, for this reason. The carbs will make you feel full and induce a "food coma" so you sleep well, but they won't be digesting all night like a heavy fat and protein laden meal would. It's interesting, because I was always told that carbs should be avoided last thing at night, because they "make you fat". This tip, however, works very well for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
she's loaded my diet with dairy, cool fruits and vegetables like zucchinis, cucumbers and avocado.
Avocado is a fruit though. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:16 am 

@ Alicorn

Yeah you're right, it is fascinating and I wish I knew more about it, I only seem to uncover this stuff when I'm researching a certain symptom or other, thanks for the link and if you've got some other recommended reading then please point me in the direction. I certainly have found shifting my protein intake around (and reducing it somewhat) has made a HUGE difference, who'd have thunk it.

I've been sticking with pulses/legumes for my evening meal and that's working well, I haven't had a 'night sweat' since I changed things. The challenge for me now is going to be getting some variety in there, man cannot live on lentil soup and 3 bean chili alone!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:21 am 

^^This is really interesting. I wondered about how much truth there was to the idea of "warming" and "cooling" foods, just because - as we've all heard me bitch about before - I tend to feel cold all the time. Funny thing though, since I've put on a few pounds, I'm not cold so often any more. It's like my body WANTS me to be heavy.

Then I wonder about the inflammation, as well - I'm somewhat athletic and I do exercise quite frequently (usually I'm doing some form of physical activity 6 days a week). So should I be eating warming or cooling foods? You'd think I should be eating cooling foods to bring down inflammation, but then I'll just be cold and uncomfortable.

For the record, I have had my thyroid and iron levels checked, both are fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 am 

Typical, I've been shopping today and bought a load of peppers, onions, oranges, tomatoes and radishes and every soup and stew I make has tons of carrot and onion in it. Bugger, how can you make soup without onion! :lol:

I'm going to use the cooling foods as the basis of my shopping list for a while and see what impact that has on my temperature and my dodgy knee (arthritis)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Yep, I know. I always lump it in with the veges when I plan things though, it doesn't feel like a fruit to me! And technically tomatoes are fruit as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:52 am 

...as are cucumbers and courgettes, anything that has seeds running through it is a fruit.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, I know. I always lump it in with the veges when I plan things though, it doesn't feel like a fruit to me! And technically tomatoes are fruit as well.
Also olives.

@LaT: I didn't know that about cucumbers and zucchini though.