The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:14 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Re: Eat less. Move more.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:46 am 

I should say they are also easy to transport, and, unlike other veggies you can snack on, they hold up pretty well. They don't wilt or get nasty quickly if outside the fridge. I take bags of them to work, and eat them at my desk because they aren't messy either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:38 am 

Quote:
Yes, I've had to get into my head, "Just because I can eat another bite, doesn't mean I should." The problem is I do love that totally-stuffed-couldn't-eat-another-bite feeling.
This is really interesting to me - I find this feeling to be really uncomfortable. Stomach pushing out against my pants, waistband digging in, feeling heavy and stuffed to capacity- it’s not a feeling I enjoy.

I also do love most veggies, and I love a lot of healthy foods - the problem is that I love a lot of unhealthy foods, too (we went out for dinner last night and ate a lot of carbs, plus dessert). I find that one thing that really helps me is meal planning and grocery shopping. If I plan out healthy meals ahead of time, and I go and buy all of the ingredients, then I’m much less likely to eat out or make impulsive, unhealthy choices (like having popcorn and beer for dinner, which I have done on more than one occasion).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:12 am 

So I've lost at least 5 pounds so far -- not bad for two weeks. I'm actually really impressed with my will power.

Weighing portions and writing everything down in a little notebook has really helped. I've been eating between 1200 and 1600 calories per day. That includes a glass of wine in the evening, and sometimes even a bit of chocolate or a small scoop of ice-cream. I think letting myself have a bit of a treat at the end of the day makes it easier to be "good" the rest of the time. I also don't count vegetables in the total. A real help has been big bowls of vegetable soup, which fill me up nicely. A bowl of carrot sticks and a glass of tomato juice are a good snack.

I've also increased the walking to about 1 1/2 hours per day. Poor dog doesn't know what's hit her -- she's like, "Again? I need my sleep!" I've been wearing the fit bit and usually getting to about 13,000 steps per day, but those aren't "real steps", just whatever vibrations it picks up. I drove home from shopping yesterday and noticed it counted 1000 steps from that. But it is interesting to notice how the calories used really registers when I am walking, compared to sitting.

I am going to try to stick it out for another 6 weeks...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Go you! Sounding really good so far!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Holy shit. My coach has just given me my program of the next 8 weeks, and he wants me to increase my calories from 2500 to 3500 a day.

How the hell am I gonna eat that much?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:37 pm 

^^^ I would have zero issue with that tasking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:04 am 

^ I could easily do that. Willingly.
Was just looking at a gooey-spill-out chocolate pudding recipe that had 601 calories per serving.

I'm eating about 1200 per day, and I could easily eat three times as much. Without blinking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:14 am 

I guess the tricky bit is eating that amount of calories of 'good' food. How many pounds of lentils, berries and grilled fish does 3500 calories weigh in at! I can't imagine how much loo roll that's gonna require either :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:57 am 

I'm like JessicaRabbit... I could EASILY eat 3500 calories. With pleasure. Even with mostly good foods like LaT is suggesting. For me it's a much bigger challege eating less, not more.

I'm a big eater, I think. I likely never eat under 2000-2500 per day and I suspect it's even more then that. I would starve to death on 1200 calories. But I think everyone's body and metabolic rate is different, as are caloric requirements.

-Rowan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Yep. I'm doing well on anywhere from 2300 to 2700 a day, but my weight fluctuates accordingly. On the Thu night before my last comp I weighed 72.4kg. On the Friday I ate good food, as I had been doing all week, my log for that day says 2300 cal and my workout barely raised a sweat. I weighted in on Saturday morning UNDER the weight class cut at 70.75 (cut is at 71 and I was supposed to be in 76, so between 71.1 and 75.9). Seriously, WTF.

Coach has told me that if I'm "going to be a 76, be a fucking 76". "A Papa Johns pizza is $8. I suggest you look into that".

But I don't like eating shit food - it makes me feel slow and gross, and my body does NOT like too much gluten. However, I was very cheered to discover last night that eating a nice size serving of mixed nuts and seeds can add 600 calories just like that. Boom.

If this morning's workout was any indication, I'm going to need all that food in the next little while. Let the ass kicking commence.