The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:40 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Eat less. Move more.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:10 am 

It isn't just middle-age, slowing metabolism, and being too busy.

It is giving in to temptation, deluding oneself about portion size, easy access to wonderful food, distraction eating, not "counting" it (eating standing up, off someone else's plate, etc.), sheer laziness, etc.

I've started wear the FitBit again. And now I am counting calories. I'm weighing the food, writing it all down. It really isn't surprising that most of us are overweight. Nice food has a LOT of calories, and portion sizes are way too big. I'm limiting to 1600 calories a day, and aiming for about 12,000 steps.

It's 5 pm and I'm exhausted and starving. It's going to take me about 2 months to lose 10 pounds.

Post subject: Re: Eat less. Move more.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:42 am 

I agree with you JR, I started weighing out food , counting calories and tracking it at the back end of last year and it's gobsmacking just how easy it is to over-consume and appropriate portion sizes are tiny ..... e.g 3oz cooked chicken, or the size of a pack of cards is a portion!! :shock:

I was using this website :

https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/browse ... n_display=

which is really handy for giving nutritional info (I was watching carbs as well as calories and it gives the breakdown for you without having to do any sums).

It's no wonder the nation was at its healthiest during rationing, it was probably the only time people were eating sensible portions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Tracking your food is eye opening. I do mine most days, shooting for 2300 calories, and it's alarming how quick calories add up if you toss in "treats".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm 

Isn't it just!

I don't know whoever came up with this notion that it takes 28 days to break a habit, but I've been trying to break my overeating habit for decades. I guess it's true what they say 'what gets measured gets done', so I reckon tracking and weighing is just going to have to become a way of life for me. I stopped doing it for a couple of weeks and the portion sizes began to grow quite quickly again.

It's interesting seeing COs posts and noting that, although all kinds of 'naughty' food is in there, the portions are well controlled. As an example I would never have had just that slice of meat pie....it would have been accompanied by a load of mash, veg and gravy. But I do recall CO saying that it was the portion control that was the key to him losing weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

It actually gets easier after a while. Because I tend to eat much the same things in rotation, you get a feel for how much you're eating and how your percentages work. I can do all my tracking in MyFitnessPal in five minutes a day now, and get pretty much right on for my macros.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 am 

The other thing I've noticed is we now rely on the assumption that we should never be hungry. As in, as soon as one is feeling a bit peckish, hmm, time for a snack. Dinner is in an hour? I'll just munch on something to keep me going until then. It's as though the affluence of our society has made it unacceptable to experience hunger in any form. Self-restraint, and experiencing (even enjoying) that slow build up of appetite in expectation of a meal is seen as some kind of abuse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 am 

I'm also struggling a little with overeating lately. When I was younger, I had a really fast metabolism, and I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted and not gain weight. Now that I'm older (35), that's no longer reality for me.

I agree that portion sizes are a huge problem - we've gotten so used to everything being so big! One useful trick that I heard is that instead of asking yourself "Am I full?" after a meal, you should instead ask yourself, "Is my hunger gone?" There's quite a difference between the two.

I used to track on MyFitnessPal and it worked, but I need to get back to it. I just find tracking really tedious. I gained less than I thought over the holidays, but I did gain a bit so I'm trying to slim down a little now - I find it especially difficult in the winter months. It's like my body wants me to gain a bunch of weight to prepare for hibernation or something.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:33 am 

Yes, I've had to get into my head, "Just because I can eat another bite, doesn't mean I should." The problem is I do love that totally-stuffed-couldn't-eat-another-bite feeling.

I'm trying to eat "mindfully" -- really thinking about and enjoying what I am eating, and savouring every bite. Also, the trouble with diets is they usually mean eating stuff you don't like. I happen to love salad and vegetables, so I am eating more of those. And I eating the stuff I want, but much much smaller portions -- probably about half of normal.

My 1400 calories yesterday included a glass of wine and a small scoop of Ben & Jerry's Phish Phood.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:41 pm 

I'm making BLTs and tater tots tonight (how's that for healthy eating? :) ) and I dumped the remaining tots on the baking sheet and thought, "Crap, there's not even enough for one person!"

Then I looked at the serving size and what's on the sheet is a little over two servings. :shock:

------

Years ago I went to nutrition class for a week, after being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

When the instructor asked about the idea that it takes about 20 minutes after eating to start to feel full, my response was that it meant we should eat as much as possible as quickly as possible before our bodies caught on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:59 pm 

If I am hungry, yet I know a meal is near, I eat carrots. I happen to love them, and they are really filling. I would probably physically not be able to consume enough carrots to gain weight, and they are good for me too. If I feel like snacking, I might as well make it something healthy.