The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:00 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:13 am 

Two days ago I developed a strange rash across the bottom of my ribcage on one side. Doesn't itch or anything, just gross looking clusters of red spots. Naturally, as one does, I start googling rashes.

The only thing it looks like is shingles. The trouble is, I never had chicken pox. I phoned my mother today, in case maybe I had it as a baby? Nope. Never had chicken pox. You can't have shingles unless you had chicken pox.

But I have also had a pain in the rib area, just a dull thing like a stitch you get running, for a couple of weeks now, same side as the rash. I feel achy and lethargic too. All symptoms of shingles. But I can't have shingles, because I never had chicken pox.

Will try to see the quack tomorrow.

Update: back from the quack. Shingles, no question.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 pm 

^^Sorry to hear, JessicaRabbit; I’ve never had shingles myself but heard it can be quite painful.

It’s possible that you had a very mild case of chickenpox and either never had symptoms, or your symptoms were very mild. I’ve had chickenpox twice; the first time, it was a very mild case and I only developed a few spots, and that was it. Of course, this meant that I never developed immunity and I got chickenpox a second time a few years later!

You may have just had a very mild case that went unnoticed, and that’s how you’ve got shingles now. I hope it goes away soon!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Is shingles an older person thing? Two of the women I work with have had shingles in the last few months. Apparently it's a SOB to get rid of too, once you have it.

I hope you feel better soon!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:39 am 

Yes, apparently if you ever had chicken pox, there is a pretty good chance (something like 20 to 30 %?) of getting shingles at some point when you are over 50. I never worried about it because I thought I'd never had chicken pox. Apparently I must have had a "sub-clinical" case that wasn't recognised at the time.

I seriously recommend not getting this!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:29 pm 

I’ve seen ads on TV for a shingles vaccine. I think you’re eligible to receive the vaccine if you’re over 50. I know younger people can get shingles, but it’s more common in older adults.