The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:28 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:12 am 

I never posted it here, because me and fitness go together like chocolate sauce and sauerkraut, but we did buy a treadmill several months ago (probably over a year now, actually), and I've been using that regularly, usually fast-walking about three miles a day. As weird as it seems, I'm much more motivated to do any kind of exercise inside, in a controlled environment, than I am outside.

Anyway, it's helping. I'm down to 183lbs, from about 203lbs (I think). I lost that between Aug-Nov, after the doc wanted to put me on diabetes meds, and I negotiated some time to try and handle it myself. My next goal is to get down into the 170's by April 15th.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:42 am 

I have been bouncing around the idea of getting a big cable weight machine. However, it seems like one would be a massive pain to get in or out of the basement. I just don't see myself going back to the gym any time soon. Everyone who I know who went back to the gym, picked up covid along with the workout routine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:40 am 

I'm doing yoga most days, weights some days.

Does anyone think it's realistic to work out two hours a day most days? I'm very conscious that my work and hobbies are totally sedentary.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:55 pm 

^It's not unreasonable at all. I lift weights for about an hour and then do 30 to 45 minutes of cardio. Sure, many people are like, "she crazy", or "I have kids!", but I have the time, so it's not a big deal for me. I have a sedentary job, so I see my workout routine as necessary to combat the hours I spend on my bum in front of a screen. Funny how no one really brings up how crazy 8+ hours in front of a computer screen each day is, but work out two hours most days a week and people think you're spending too much time at the gym.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:02 pm 

It's funny isn't it? I have colleagues who run twice a day and other colleagues are critical.

I have had active jobs in the past but going forward that won't be happening. I'm naturally finding I'm hugely fidgety. I know some people think chores are exercise but I have no garden and a tiny flat, so I'd like to build up to an hour in the morning and hour in the evening.

My sleep is also dreadful if I don't get to move enough.

I'd like to lift proper weights but my concern there is hunger. I've seen my sister and an ex boyfriend doing weight training programmes and they both found the food aspect irritating.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:14 pm 

I got really burned out/depressed from the pandemic around January and stopped working out. Accordingly, I am now in the worst shape in years. I got tired out from washing the kitchen floor the other week.

I did keep my twice-weekly Zoom martial arts class and once-weekly personal training sessions which is probably the only thing that kept my muscles from atrophying into piles of mush, but I stopped everything else (No horseback riding, biking, or other workouts).

So now I’m trying to get back into it. I was feeling very burned out and depressed still, but I saw my therapist earlier this week and he pointed out that exercise would probably help my mood.

I did YouTube workouts yesterday and today. Thankfully, I finally managed to find some workout videos that are set to heavy metal music instead of crappy pop songs - working out to Slipknot isn’t quite like being in the mosh pit, but it’s the best I can do right now!