The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:20 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
 Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:32 pm 

^^^ People are idiots!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:10 am 

Well now that I have been working again lately, I guess I need to rant, right?

It's not really the job itself, it's getting paid for the work. Even though I don't live in Chile, I keep a US checking account. It's with a brokerage account where I rolled over a bunch of retirement savings, so there are no service fees, and I have a debit card here to access the money. I worked for a US company for 8 years after I first moved here, so I always got my salary deposited into that account. I have also been paid in that account for some other freelance work over the years.

Anyways, the company I work for normally uses Venmo or Zelle apps to pay freelancers. Both are for US accounts, which I have, but I can't download them due to my location. I guess the (very annoying) assumption is that if you are not in the US, you don't have a US bank account. I think I am going to have to research a VPN to be able to download and use them.

The only other option is for them to mail a check to a US address. So, I had to bug my sister to receive the checks for now. I am at least lucky that my bank's app lets you deposit the check by uploading an image. So, all she has to do is endorse them and send me pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:36 pm 

It smells like someone cleaned the ladies' with a bucket of BenGay. It's been like that for the whole week. I see no air fresheners, or any obvious source of the scent. A trip to the bathroom will clear your sinuses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Anyways, the company I work for normally uses Venmo or Zelle apps to pay freelancers. Both are for US accounts, which I have, but I can't download them due to my location. I guess the (very annoying) assumption is that if you are not in the US, you don't have a US bank account. I think I am going to have to research a VPN to be able to download and use them.
Sounds like an anti-money laundering measure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:20 am 

So, I'm having a bit of a situation at my work. Things have been...difficult the last 5 months or so.

My Boss's husband was diagnosed with Cancer in the summer. We are friends, but don't always align - politically, philosopically etc. She's not exactly Type A, but she's very pushy/bossy - she takes my saying No to something as a challenge. I've been supportive and offered my help in various ways while he's been ill. I've taken on more work, some of which terrifies me (Payroll - my notes are not great).

The last 3 months of last year were a miserable slog. Lots of stress and overtime. Too much work in a short space of time. She swings between berating me for not taking time off (I lost several days of vacation) and harping on about how much work there is to do. If I do A, she wants to know about B C and D. When she asks what task I'm doing, I've taken up the habit of just asking what she needs.

I used to consider our CEO a friend, but he's stopped replying to a silly group text (effectively killing it). My boss has told me not to bother him about small things - effectively telling me not to chat with him. Yesterday at an event, she told me I shouldn't tease some of the other guys at work (who I also used to consider friends) because it makes them angry - but nobody has said anything to me. She got upset when one of the guys took me out to lunch for my birthday (I never usually go anywhere).

I don't know what's going on. I feel gaslighted. I would like to think the guys would say something if they were mad at me of if I'd offended them. I'm upset with her for always criticising me, but I don't feel like I can say anything because of what she's going through. I'm feeling that it might be time to leave, but I've got 6+ years invested.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:38 pm 

Work, like everything else, changes over time. On one hand, it's a great time to be looking for another job because of the strong job market. On the other, I do think things are going to sour at some point, and the layoffs will follow. Sometimes it's better to have more time under your belt at a place when they start thinking about giving folks the sack. However, you can't always count on seniority to save you (unless you're in a union). It's near impossible to analyze everything that could happen, so I think the best course of action is always to ask "Do I have a reason to leave?". If you're obviously being mistreated, or the company is clearly going under, or you're just not happy with the job/compensation package, it might be time to leave a place. I feel for you Mrs. PH - it's rarely an easy decision to look for another job

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:14 pm 

MPH - I can understand. I hate my job. I mean, I really, strongly, truly hate my job. Some of the reasons are similar to yours, some aren't, but I understand and commiserate with you.

For me, I'm choosing to bite my tongue every day of the workweek because of my age. I've got six years left to retirement, an aging skill set, and no real desire to learn a new one. I don't know your age or your situation, but consider that as well. If I were 10 years younger, I think I'd be looking for another job, but at the same time, every job I've ever had has had some level of shittiness attached to it, from working with a guy who tried to have our manager killed (seriously, he tried to hire a hit man), to working for a woman who wanted me to bathe and wash her hair, and the weird part of that one was...there were no sexual overtones at all - she had a bad back and just wanted me to bathe her and wash her damn hair. It'd have been more normal if there were overtones.

So I'd also consider the likelihood of trading one bag of shit for a slightly different-smelling bag of shit and see if you think it's worth it. It might also benefit you to just think of your current job as just that, work. They're not your friends, they're not your confidantes, they're just your coworkers. Maybe consider completely overhauling how you think about the office. Go in, put in your hours, go home. Don't work overtime unless you're compensated somehow for it, either. That's a road that goes straight to Disgruntled Employee City. I had to learn that one myself the hard way.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:42 pm 

I'm in my early 50s, an Admin, and I don't have a degree...and this job pays well and I'm good at it (at least, I don't screw up too much). As much as sometimes I'd like to throw in the towel, I kinda need the money and it took me 2 years to find this job...

I'm actually older than my boss, and older than the new CEO. The office friendship thing is weird; a group of us including the now-CEO used to go to the bar on Thursday nights...we'd talk about all kinds of stuff - work, movies, cars etc. - but we don't go anymore and I kinda miss them. I didn't tell my boss that I went because I kinda knew that she would disapprove... I can't decide if she thinks she's my Mom or that she's worried that I won't be her friend anymore... She said herself that she's not interested in sitting around chatting with them, but I like some of them.

It's all so bloody High School...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:42 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like an anti-money laundering measure.
Yeah, that seems possible. It's still annoying. At least for now my sister has no problem with sending me the photos of checks to deposit them. I will be sending her a nice thank you gift of course.

A friend who also started freelancing after losing her job says that an app called payoneer might work. If this becomes a regular thing, I will look into that.

Mrs Potato Head - Sorry to hear about your work situation. My last workplace could only be described as junior high, so I know how bad those situations can be. Sticking it out was my only real option, though, since I am really glad to have the severance pay. If I quit I would have gotten only 15 vacation days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:01 am 

Somebody locked the door to the kitchen. Now I can't get in to put my lunch in the fridge, and none of us know who has a key because that door is always open. Even the building maintenance guy was like, "Someone closed that door? And locked it?" I guess the cleaners must have done it, not realizing it was set to lock when closed. The maintenance guy said he's not even sure if he has a key, so he may be pulling the lock.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next