The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:44 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
 Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 am 

^^ I remember being in a similar situation some years ago when a system was changed (though not IT). It was an incredibly stressful time, I was working longer hours but the backlog just kept getting bigger. It was down to a colleague and I to take the brunt of it and production was being affected (you can imagine the screaming from the production managers). It occurred to me that this was a management problem. It wasn't going to be resolved by me working harder and harder, something fundamental had to change (and that wasn't my responsibility). I spoke to my co-worker and she agreed. After that point we just took our time and did what we could. In fact, we began to enjoy the absurdity of it and would look at each other and burst out laughing. Inevitably the system started to cave, and it was at this point that the management changed things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:59 am 
Site Admin

What...Why? Who would think that doing that is a good idea? Seriously, can't everyone go "This was a stupid idea, put it back the way it was if you want things to get done as fast as they used to be done."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:30 pm 

^^^ That's what's driving me crazy, in part. My managers are much more accepting of this, and feel like I should jump through hoops to somehow magically make up the lost time on my side.

My opinion is, if we do that, and I can occasionally pull off a minor miracle, then that becomes the norm. I, were I the manager, tell my folks to let the process work *eaxctly* a defined, and then let the user community managers start raising hell. Then things will change.

But, for the record: very simple problem identified yesterday. I just need to move some files from one server to another. That's it.

Still waiting on my request for access to be worked, so I've done nothing with this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:04 pm 

*ahem*

THIS ISN'T WHAT I BLOODY MEANT WHEN I SAID I WAS BORED THIS WEEK!

I got a flood of issues today, after spending the majority of yesterday being bored as hell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

You'd better not lag posting these new full time employee gigs and you'd better hire internally first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:33 pm 

People whose pets are their "children" are probably worse than human mombies and daddicts.

I look after cats for a living. I am a professional crazy cat lady. I love cats, I have looked after hundreds of cats. I know a lot about cats. Yes, your cats are special. ALL cats are special, and actually, yours aren't really particularly special. They are nice cats. And either you trust me to look after your cats, or you can go somewhere else next time. But honestly, I probably understand your cats better than you do.

That is all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:37 am 

This isn't a rant so much as a work FWP or weird observation.

In the bathroom at work 2 floors up from my office (where I usually go because it's cleaner than the one on this floor), there are 3 stalls, 2 sinks, 4 soap dispensers, and 1 hand dryer. Who the hell designed this bathroom? Were they drunk at the time?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:07 pm 

I really don't like my new job. I'm trying to look for the silver lining, but it's difficult. Everyone is saying how great it is to work for this company, but I just don't feel it. I was brought into a full department with no room for me. Apparently one of the part-timers wanted full-time but someone forgot. I feel awful coming in with full-time. I guess I should be flattered and grateful they wanted to bring me in, but there's nothing for me to do most days. They want me to do on-call 1x a month on the weekends. If I had know this was a condition of employment when the job was offered, I would've turned it down. There's no direction for me. The administrator who doesn't want me to be uncomfortable has already put me in a couple uncomfortable positions. People have told me to be patient because things move very slowly there. I don't feel like I fit in anywhere. I don't know how much longer I can take it. I'm thinking of asking to go down to part-time for the time being. They don't have the census to support 2 full-timers and 2 part-timers. I'm not happy at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Jesus fucking christ. When the steel tariffs got imposed by the US government, our suppliers started adding surcharge lines to their invoices. OK. That's fine. But our processing people in our other office got all confused, and didn't know what to do with that extra line - so apparently, they just ignored it, and put all the invoices through short. Thousands of dollars short. More than a few invoices.

This was after me sending them a very long email, after they got the first one and asked what to do about it, telling them how to process it. With pretty pictures and everything. And now all the inventory costs are all fucked up, because they don't include the tariff, and will have to be reviewed and fixed ... as if I don't have enough to fucking do.

Looks like I am going to have to explain in words of one syllable or less, that ignoring a $4000 tariff charge on a supplier invoice does NOT magically make it go away. What.The.Fuck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:09 pm 

God, I cannot wait to get out of here. I'm pretty sure everyone in Cletusville, PA voted for Trump, and they are PISSED that the Democrats took back the house. If I hear one more goddamn comment about how "the caravan" is coming here to ransack homes, rape daughters, kill sons, and steal pets, I'm going to beat the commenter to death with my laptop bag. Hispanic migrants are definitely not going to want to come here. If they make the mistake of showing up in Cletusville, they will leave. Quickly. These KKKrackers scare me, and I'm white. I generally like my job, but the travel straight-up sucks at times. Going to small towns post-Trump is sometimes a serious education about how racist and stupid a disturbingly large percentage of the population can be. I sometimes feel like I went back in time to the 1960s South. It's chilling.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next